Issue with Radeon 6950 and Driver Updates

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help on how I can resolve my issue.

For some time, I have been running AMD's 12.8 drivers (from August 2012). Each time I have tried to update to the latest version (most recently 13.4), my screen starts to flicker and stutter when the new drivers are installed. It does this immediately upon reboot and is noticeable whenever I open windows or do anything for that matter. I suspect it is an issue between MSI Afterburner (which I run to manage overclock & fan profile) and the newer driver / catalyst control center, although I cannot be 100% sure.

I do a full clean uninstall each time (uninstalling and scrubbing old driver with Driver Fusion).

I have tried almost everything with no success:
1. Install working 12.8 version and only install driver from 13.4 release
2. Completely uninstall old driver and do a fresh install of new driver
3. Install new driver with MSI Afterburner closed

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated as I would like to run the latest drivers for some of the newer games.

It happens when you OC with Trixx too. I never found a permanent solution, but sleeping the computer or toggling to a different resolution and back would clear it up for me until next reboot.

dont use unofficial mode in AB, use /xcl startup option instead.

should fix the artifacting.
This may be another workaround in AB for the flickering but I've never been able to try it, as AB won't control my sapphire's voltage in any mode.

Afterburner would cause flicker on my 6950 after I "reset" the overclock back to default.

The new version 3 beta train has eliminated this problem for me.

It happens when you OC with Trixx too. I never found a permanent solution, but sleeping the computer or toggling to a different resolution and back would clear it up for me until next reboot.

This may be another workaround in AB for the flickering but I've never been able to try it, as AB won't control my sapphire's voltage in any mode.

This is helpful as I was just about to try Trixx to see if it fixes the issue. Are/were you also experiencing this with the newer drivers? Which catalyst version are you currently using?

Afterburner would cause flicker on my 6950 after I "reset" the overclock back to default.

The new version 3 beta train has eliminated this problem for me.

So you are using the beta Afterburner with the latest catalyst driver (13.4) and have no issue with the flickering?

Are/were you also experiencing this with the newer drivers? Which catalyst version are you currently using?

Yeah, I still get flicker with all the newer drivers. Currently using 13.5 beta 2, no issues other than that.

Back