issue with new LGA1700 build

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So bought the I5 12600K and an Asrock Z69 PG Riptide.

I get it all together and turn it on. No CPU fan, but I get a red light blinking up in the top left corner that is by the 8 and 4 pin connector. Nothing else.

I reused the RAM and PS. The machine was working fine with the old stuff.

Anything I should look at?

did you just yank the board and chip out of your existing build and drop in the new ones? make sure all the power cables are seated right. make sure there are no mismatched standoffs too, like one under the board shorting it out.

Does the manual have a board layout guide that tells you what that LED is representing? Or is it silkscreened on the board itself?

Well, I just pulled up the manual, and it doesn't even say there's an LED up there. The website doesn't have a high res enough picture to see what is silk screened up there. There is something that says bios flashback, but that's on the I/O panel.

There is something called "Post Status Checker" which has LED lights, but it at the bottom of the board by the USB header connections.

thats probably the bios flash indicator light. got anything in that port that it might be confused by? could try clearing the bios, wont hurt if its doa...

1641250377717.png

well, I reseated everything. I am using a low profile nocturna CPU cooler. So I plugged it all in and it started booting. But I was getting a burning smell. I tracked it down to be the CPU fan itself. The smell is from it. CPU looked fine.

But I did notice as I watched the CPU, my Video card fans stopped. But I know that worked fine before. I went ahead and replaced the PS just in case, but same issue.

So should I let it go and see if the smell goes away, or should I get a replacement? On a side note, the CPU cooker does end up over some transistors on the left of the CPU cooler.

well, I reseated everything. I am using a low profile nocturna CPU cooler. So I plugged it all in and it started booting. But I was getting a burning smell. I tracked it down to be the CPU fan itself. The smell is from it. CPU looked fine.

But I did notice as I watched the CPU, my Video card fans stopped. But I know that worked fine before. I went ahead and replaced the PS just in case, but same issue.

So should I let it go and see if the smell goes away, or should I get a replacement? On a side note, the CPU cooker does end up over some transistors on the left of the CPU cooler.

Even if it worked, ADL is hot. I am cooling my 12700k with a 360 aio since no air cooler under $100 could do the job. At stock clocks.

Which cooler are you using? Maybe the bios senses the cpu fan being borked. Does the cpu fan spin up at all? It should always run about full speed for a second or two during initial post/ boot.

Last edited:
Even if it worked, ADL is hot. I am cooking my 12700k with a 360 aio since no air cooler under $100 could do the job. At stock clocks.

Which cooler are you using? Maybe the bios senses the cpu fan being borked. Does the cpu fan spin up at all? It should always run about full speed for a second or two during initial post/ boot.
I got the

Noctua NH-L9i-17xx chromax.black​

The fan will spin, but after it's on for 20 seconds or so and it is coming from it directly

GPU fans stopping in the bios or at idle, is a feature ;)

the idea is it may help increase the life of the fans.

And zero noise.

Did you check the fan curve in the bios? It may be set to 0% at idle.

My GPU fans don't spin at idle. Only under load.

I have this board running with a 12700K and it was the easiest to set up of the Asus and Gigabyte boards I tried. I would have used the Bios Flashback to update before installing the CPU. The Noctua NH-L9i Chromax Black 1700 is 'MECHANICALLY INCOMPATIBLE ' with the Asrock Z690 Riptide according to Noctua's compatibility chart. So yes you probably shorted something on the back of the motherboard. I'm afraid a new motherboard is what you need.

Your video card fans likely only come on when needed. Even high end GPU's like RTX 3090's and 3080 Ti's do this. The fans may spin quickly at startup and then shut off during POST and while the OS loads. Have you ever smelled burning electronics? There is a normal "new smell" that goes with electronics that is similar, but not the same as a burning smell. Trust me, when you smell the latter, you'll know if. If you really smell the latter, tear everything down and inspect EVERYTHING for the culprit. It means something blew up and its not coming back.

I found his problem. Did you see my post ?
No, you have a theory as to what his problem is. While very likely, it needs to be confirmed. What I suggested the OP do would confirm your diagnosis.

I have this board running with a 12700K and it was the easiest to set up of the Asus and Gigabyte boards I tried. I would have used the Bios Flashback to update before installing the CPU. The Noctua NH-L9i Chromax Black 1700 is 'MECHANICALLY INCOMPATIBLE ' with the Asrock Z690 Riptide according to Noctua's compatibility chart. So yes you probably shorted something on the back of the motherboard. I'm afraid a new motherboard is what you need.

Mechanically incompatible only means it won't fit properly. As in the VRM heatsinks don't have enough clearance to allow for the cooler to fit. I doubt something shorted out. I would expect that the CPU would thermal throttle very quickly as it wouldn't have good mounting pressure.

The OP already said he had a bad fan and was getting a new one.

No not a theory A FACT. Installing that incompatible cooler would certainly cause damage to the motherboard. So are you suggesting he put another incompatible cooler on his already fried motherboard. Certainly when the OP says 'Should I just see if the smell goes away' red flags should go off........Please view the Noctua Compatibility List for yourself..........................https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASRock-Z690-PG-Riptide-5355

OK guys I give up. Just trying to help out. Go ahead and keep encouraging him to break more stuff. I'm out

No not a theory A FACT. Installing that incompatible cooler would certainly cause damage to the motherboard. So are you suggesting he put another incompatible cooler on his already fried motherboard. Certainly when the OP says 'Should I just see if the smell goes away' red flags should go off........Please view the Noctua Compatibility List for yourself..........................https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASRock-Z690-PG-Riptide-5355
What kirby is saying, is that the cooler does not clear the vrm properly. Where would a cooler short anything ? The backplate is your answer. And the backplate mount here is not the issue.

I have a lga1700 board and I used a 115x rear back plate mount. Why ? Because Corsair said it was fine and sold me new stand offs for the proper z height. Yes Noctua lists it as incompatible. Yes it should not be used on this board. But a short? I’d guess a overheating issue on the cpu. Either way he should start by getting a new board. And hoping the cpu is still good.

OK let me back up. I made a mistake. The Noctua NH-L9i-1700 Chromax Black 'IS COMPATIBLE' with the Asrock Z690 Riptide.

OK let me back up. I made a mistake. The Noctua NH-L9i-1700 Chromax Black 'IS COMPATIBLE' with the Asrock Z690 Riptide.

After I saw pictures of the board, I wondered why it would be listed as not compatible. There is plenty of clearance for the heatsink.

No not a theory A FACT. Installing that incompatible cooler would certainly cause damage to the motherboard.
No, it's not a fact. Until you've seen photographic evidence (at the very least) of contact between the mounting solution and an electronic component or solder points, what you have is actually only a hypothesis at best. And no, an incompatible cooler wouldn't certainly cause damage to a motherboard. It could, but it's not certain. It depends on the specific reason for the incompatibility. There are many possible reasons for the incompatibility of some coolers with some motherboards. The compatibility chart refers to "mechanical" incompatibility, but doesn't state what that means exactly.

An argument that's academic, because people in this thread cannot read. What you failed to read and understand is that the OP says he's using the NH-L9i-17XX chromax.black. Not the NH-L9i chromax.black. The former is compatible with the motherboard in question and the latter is not. You are confusing the two.

This is taken from the very chart you linked:
View attachment 428935

Here is the OP's post again since you misread it:
I got the

Noctua NH-L9i-17xx chromax.black

The fan will spin, but after it's on for 20 seconds or so and it is coming from it directly
Note that on the chart there are two coolers listed. One with a "-17xx" designation and one without. The OP claims to be using the one that's marked "-17xx". Thus, compatibility isn't the problem here.
So are you suggesting he put another incompatible cooler on his already fried motherboard. Certainly when the OP says 'Should I just see if the smell goes away' red flags should go off........Please view the Noctua Compatibility List for yourself..........................https://ncc.noctua.at/motherboards/model/ASRock-Z690-PG-Riptide-5355
No, I did not suggest that at all. I told him to take everything apart and identify where the burnt smell was truly coming from. If you've got an actual burnt electronics smell, something is fried and its done. You need to find out what that is and replace it.

No where in my post did I suggest installing a different CPU cooler or another incompatible cooler or anything like that. Let's take a look:
Your video card fans likely only come on when needed. Even high end GPU's like RTX 3090's and 3080 Ti's do this. The fans may spin quickly at startup and then shut off during POST and while the OS loads. Have you ever smelled burning electronics? There is a normal "new smell" that goes with electronics that is similar, but not the same as a burning smell. Trust me, when you smell the latter, you'll know if. If you really smell the latter, tear everything down and inspect EVERYTHING for the culprit. It means something blew up and its not coming back.
Again, those words do not appear in my post. I never suggested replacing the CPU cooler at all. I suggest identifying what's burnt and replacing that. Whatever that might be.

Also the burnt smell fully came from the CPU fan itself. Nothing else. So I figured it was bad out of the box.

so did you have the same one and that what died/burned up? did you try any other fans?
I actually have the same model fan that will be delivered today. So since it is all confirmed that it is compatible with the riptide, I am going to try it when it comes in. The burned smell definitely came from the original CPU Fan that I tried. So hoping that this takes care of my issues and it really just was a bad CPU fan in regards to the original one.

Hey OP, Dan-D, Kirby......Sorry if i went down the wrong track. Just wanted to ask the OP if he checked that the insulators were on the screws that go through the back of the board as you did mention something about covering some resistors. See if there is anything burnt on the back of the board before you fire it up again. Not saying it's not possible but I've never heard of a Noctua fan being dead out of the box.

Back