Issue with 2 Monitors at 2560 x 1440 on older GTX 570

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
I've got this older system that is running 2 GeForce GTX 570 video cards. I've been running 2 monitors (Dual Link DVI) but only 1 monitor supported 2560 x 1440 and the other monitor a lower resolution. I recently upgraded the lower resolution monitor to one that supports 2560 x 1440 but I cannot get Windows display settings to see anything but 1920 x 1200 for this new monitor.

When I plug my new monitor into the DVI port on the video card of the other monitor, and the other monitor into the other DVI port, then my new monitor gets set to 2560x1440 but my other monitor now will only be set to 1920x1200.

I cannot get my system to set both to 2560 x 1440.

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this so I can get both monitors to display at 2560 x 1440? What's strange is that in the NVIDIA Control Panel resolution setting sees the connector as Display Port but both monitors are using DVI.

Am I correct in assuming each monitor is plugged into a separate Geforce GTX 570? I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but a single video card might not be able to support two monitors at 2560x1440. Otherwise, make sure your DVI cables are dual-link. Single link is limited to 1920x1200. Dual-link cables have more pins and wires for higher resolution signals.

DVI dual vs single link.jpg

Thanks for the ideas. The Dual Link cable was my first thought originally, so I bought this on Amazon. I know it works because when I use it with my new monitor in the DVI plug on my video card where my first monitor is in, the resolution is correct. I plug it back into the other DVI plug, the resolution is lower.

1636247570898.png

Only one of the cards show up in Device Manager. Shouldn't both cards show?

1636311243617.png

I've got this older system that is running 2 GeForce GTX 570 video cards. I've been running 2 monitors (Dual Link DVI) but only 1 monitor supported 2560 x 1440 and the other monitor a lower resolution. I recently upgraded the lower resolution monitor to one that supports 2560 x 1440 but I cannot get Windows display settings to see anything but 1920 x 1200 for this new monitor.

When I plug my new monitor into the DVI port on the video card of the other monitor, and the other monitor into the other DVI port, then my new monitor gets set to 2560x1440 but my other monitor now will only be set to 1920x1200.

What has been said already is correct, Single-link DVI is limited to 1920x1200, 60Hz.

For Dual-Link DVI to work, you need a card that has Dual-Link DVI output (your GTX 570 does), you need a Dual-Link DVI cable, and you need a monitor with Dual-Link DVI input. What is your new 2nd monitor? Does that monitor actually have the ability to use Dual-Link DVI?

Most newer 1440p monitors are only able to achieve 1440p resolution using either Displayport or HDMI (a reasonably new version of HDMI). Newer monitors rarely include dual-link DVI input, offering DVI compatibility only via the HDMI port. HDMI and Single-Link DVI are pin-compatible, meaning you only need a passive adapter, or even a cable that simply has DVI on one end and HDMI on the other, but that is only good for single-link speeds (aka 1920x1200 max).

What's strange is that in the NVIDIA Control Panel resolution setting sees the connector as Display Port but both monitors are using DVI.

Strange. You might try installing the latest driver. Unfortunately driver support for your card was dropped back in 2018, so that is the newest driver. It should still work though. I've got a computer still using a GTX 470, using that same driver, and it works fine even with Windows 11.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/132845/en-us

Am I correct in assuming each monitor is plugged into a separate Geforce GTX 570?

With SLI, all monitors are plugged into the first card only. OP could disable SLI of course, but with GPUs this old he needs as much GPU power as he can get, assuming the game he plays has a working SLI profile.

Only one of the cards show up in Device Manager. Shouldn't both cards show?

View attachment 410451

Yes all the cards should show. My backup computer that is still using 3x GTX680 in SLI shows all 3 in Device Manager. But even if something is wrong with your 2nd card, that should not impact your display resolution for monitors connected to the first card.

Last edited:
Start with the basic's. Pull both cards and swap them. Does two things. Reseats both cards and changes which slot they are in. You can run each one separately in their own slot. Just pull one and run off the other. Doing this will check for a hardware problem With only one in the device manager tells me no driver for that card. It is bad or the slot is not working correctly. Other thought might be the pci-e lanes to the second card. If it's running at 1X not at 4X or 8X. Then you might not have enough bandwidth to let it run at a higher resolution.

I'm going to replace both cards and just get 1 card.

What are some recommendations for 1 card that would support 2 monitors at 2560 x 1440 on DVI only?

This is an older system so I'm not looking to put a lot of money into a video card, up to $300. I don't game on this system.

Last edited:
I'm going to replace both cards and just get 1 card.

What are some recommendations for 1 card that would support 2 monitors at 2560 x 1440 on DVI only?

This is an older system so I'm not looking to put a lot of money into a video card, up to $300. I don't game on this system.
I think a 970 would do it.

Back