Issue when copying OS from one HD to another

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a 1TB Seagate drive, and want to copy the intact vista installation on one of my 250GB drives the the 1TB drive. The reason is to get slightly faster experience, since the 1TB drive has a much higher throughput, especially at the beginning (outer edge) of the drive.

I used Norton Ghost 12 to copy a 132 GB partition from the old drive to a 140 GB partition on the new drive. I followed the wizard and copied the MBR and set it as an active drive. The copying completed "successfully".

I unplugged all of the other drives except the new 1 TB drive to ensure it was booting off the drive, and it worked fine finding the OS and getting to the Vista 64 login screen. Once I log in, however, I get a "preparing desktop" message for about 5 minutes, then it goes to a blank blue background with no taskbar. It is still within windows, however, as I can bring up the task manager through CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

Could it have to do with needing to rename the new partition from O: back to C: (the original installation was set to C:)? Could there be anything else wrong? I'm kinda stumped on what to do.

Thanks for any help!

Hm.. maybe you could try Seatools. Set ur 1TB drive as Slave, and set up as new drive, and see if there is a way to copy everything. I did this once, but it was a long time ago.

Good luck! :D

The drive letter part is most likely the problem. if you did a disk to disk clone, you shouldn't have grabbed another letter other than C. I'll venture a guess and say you cloned the drive while running Windows? If so, run Ghost from outside of Windows. I have no idea why Norton decide to go against the preferred method of Ghost back in the day. Run Ghost from a bootable USB flash drive, a BartPE disc, etc and then do the disk to disk cloning option.

It should work if I boot into windows XP (my secondary OS) and change the drive letter of the new drive to C: and the old to a different one, right?

Back