Issue accessing WHS 2011 files after new PC build

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've just finished setting up a new desktop PC to replace my aging Gateway desktop. Everything seemed to go well with the setup / install, but I'm having some issues when trying to copy files (movies, video clips, word documents, etc) from the PC down to folders on my WHS server. I get an error message saying "you need permission to perform this action". I don't have much experience with permissions, but that would make me think there's some kind of a permission issue between the new desktop PC and the folders on the server. But checking in the security tab of the network folders, my PC has "full control", so that makes me thin that I should be able to add files to the folders??

Also the Launchpad continually has the loading symbol down in the corner. Not sure if that's related to any of these issues??

WHS%2Berror1.jpg

I'm able to navigate to each of the folders and listen to music, open world docs, view images, etc but I seem to have issues adding & removing files. Below is a screen shot of the error and the folder properties.

WHS%2Berror2.jpg

When I look at the effective permissions for the server folders, I get the message that "Windows can't calculate the effective permissions for dar125".

WHS%2Berror3.jpg

Hopefully someone here can give me some direction with this. Thanks in advance.

What are you network share permissions? Not just the local folder permissions.

This is the properties of the PC dar125 from the WHS dashboard. Is this what you're meaning by network share permissions??

WHS%2Berror5.jpg

So I think I figured out what the issue was. I still had my old desktop PC listed in the WHS dashboard as a user. And when I set up the new PC dar125, I tried to have it similar to the other users listed. But I had the name and description switched. So I had 2 PC's named "Desktop" one with the description "dar124" and the other as "dar125". I deleted the dar124 user, Launchpad required me to log in again, and now everything is good!!

I've been transferring files down to the network folders all afternoon!!! Thanks Chas, I appreciate your responses here!!!

Back