ISS Crew Members Reach Space Following Botched Launch

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
After a successful Soyuz launch early this morning, three astronauts are on their way to the International Space Station. Following a failed manned launch earlier this year, experts were worried about the future of the ISS, as the Soyuz rocket is currently the only platform capable of shuttling crew members to and from the space tation. While the journey to space only took a few minutes, it will reportedly take about 6 hours to catch up with the space station, meaning the crew should climb onboard sometime later today.

Check out a multi-angle video of the launch here.

In the meantime, Russian engineers quickly identified the cause of the abort: a bent component in the booster separation mechanism that apparently was caused by a mistake during the rocket's assembly. A fleet-wide inspection was carried out and four Soyuz boosters were successfully launched before Kononenko's crew was cleared for flight Monday. McClain, an Army colonel and veteran military helicopter pilot, said she had no qualms about launching aboard a Soyuz booster. She said the workhorse Russian rocket was extremely reliable and that she trusted Russian engineers to find and fix the problem. "Going to space is not easy," she told CBS News in a pre-launch interview. "The crew in October was lucky. But so is every crew that has flown in space over the last 50 years, 60 years. I'm very familiar with the rocket and with the redundancy of their systems and with their safety systems. And I'll be frank with you, I would have gotten on a rocket the day after that happened."

I was so caught up in dino-poop that I'd forgotten about the launch. Glad they got off safely this time around.

I couldn't imagine boarding a Russian rocket to space after the latest mistakes and with the McClain name I'm even more shocked she trusted Russian engineers as such. lol!

72c7abb59c483f5852fb4911d14db12e1f9a461cac592824126aaaf94cff90e1.jpg

I can imagine that in the US there got to be a lot of embarrassment over not having a official launch system for so long, the US owned the place at one time and now its down to the other guys ( and here i am diplomatic and not trying to be a smart ass again as i don't want a slap on the wrist again when it comes to Russia )

I can imagine that in the US there got to be a lot of embarrassment over not having a official launch system for so long, the US owned the place at one time and now its down to the other guys ( and here i am diplomatic and not trying to be a smart ass again as i don't want a slap on the wrist again when it comes to Russia )

We're focused on much more important things like hating each other for our beliefs.

Sad that we used to all look to the sky and wonder about the future. Now we all look down at each other in contempt.

We don't have a good single use launch system because we wasted hundreds of billions and decades of time on the Shuttle instead. Sad, as the Shuttle was pretty inspiring but we should have cut the program after Columbia.

I do hope that one day i can get up close to that Saturn 5 at display at Johnson space center, the shuttle was nice and all, but say space and my brain go Saturn 5 and F1 engines at once.
I was just 3 years old in 69, but i do recall watching later Apollo missions on TV, and it was awesome.

We don't have a good single use launch system because we wasted hundreds of billions and decades of time on the Shuttle instead. Sad, as the Shuttle was pretty inspiring but we should have cut the program after Columbia.

We did. It was kept active in a limited sense just to service the Hubble one more time and to finish the ISS.

I mean, not EVERY crew that has gone to space in the last 60 years has been lucky.

NASA is dead.

Back