ISP Rolls Out 10 Gbps Internet For $400 Per Month

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news! This ISP is offering 1Gbps speeds for $60 a month! Better news, you can get 10Gbps for $400! Bad news....you have to live in Vermont to get it. :(

“We were proud four years ago to initiate first-in-Vermont 1 Gigabit Internet, at a billion-bits-per-second, at $35 a month” said VTel Chief Technology Officer Justin Robinson. “We’re even more delighted today to announce first-in-Vermont 10 Gbps Internet.” VTel’s new 10 Gig residential Internet has been made possible by an $85 million VTel telephone network award from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Utilities Service (RUS). This RUS project is expected to be complete by June 30, 2015, on budget and on schedule.

Early adopters paying more, nothing new here. Good to see higher speeds rolling out. Very few are going to have their hardware to take advantage of this.

Considering we pay multiple times that for a 10Mb fiber line it's not that much.... Too much for residential use, but so is the bandwidth.

I'd pay $60 for 1Gbps in a heartbeat, I'm currently paying $100 a month for 50Mbps fiber.

I'd pay $60 for 1Gbps in a heartbeat, I'm currently paying $100 a month for 50Mbps fiber.
OMG me too... I'm paying $60/month for 35 Mbps, and they recently cut my upload in half...

I would pay $400/mo for the 10gbps line simply because we pay $8000/mo for 10gbps at our massive datacenter at work...

These have to be massively oversold, and they also assume the users couldn't hit 10gbps.

While obviously pricey, it's a good sign that things like this are even available.

the 10GPS hardware alone is going to be the cost of a full year of service. This is for commercial grade equipment and companies who for $400/mo is not going to sneeze at that cost.

Here's a fun game:

What Firewall out there can run 10Gpbs without being some $10,000 big iron system with tons of fans that sound like a tornado.

the 10GPS hardware alone is going to be the cost of a full year of service. This is for commercial grade equipment and companies who for $400/mo is not going to sneeze at that cost.

Here's a fun game:

What Firewall out there can run 10Gpbs without being some $10,000 big iron system with tons of fans that sound like a tornado.

Well, it doesn't actually take all that much to run a good homebuilt firewall on something like Sophos, ClearOS, Untangle, etc.

My current router/firewall box almost always sees less than 1% CPU usage on a 50Mb connection when fully loaded. So if my calculations are correct, it would see about 20% CPU usage max for a 1Gb connection.. if the CPU load scales linearly.

And it is only a dual core AM2 socket Opteron.

If you are looking at business/enterprise class stuff then yeah, it is going to be really, really expensive for something that will handle 10Gb.

How does one get 10gbs from "wall box" to pc?

A 10Gb PCIe network card. Of course there is probably going to have to be some sort of modem/router device in between.

Guessing that it will be "10Gb" to the router and then 1Gb to each computer though.

Here's a fun game:

Well it depends on what you are talking about. For home use there are plenty of 10gbe routers for a few hundred. Rarely if ever does a home user need a dedicated firewall. For business that are going to need this kind of speed, that kind of equipment really isn't a problem.

Even if not available in my area, just the fact that it makes the bloated big ISPs look bad may force a little bit of progress - one would hope.

Well it depends on what you are talking about. For home use there are plenty of 10gbe routers for a few hundred.

Link? And I"m not talking about home built machines but actually consumer grade routers/firewalls that will handle 10GB. I'm guessing that they will use Fibre instead of copper.

For business that are going to need this kind of speed, that kind of equipment really isn't a problem.

Since we use Sophos here I went and looked at their site. Yes the lower end models can get 10GB ports but that's still a rack mount unit. I wonder what the markup is for those models to have 10GB

Not a big deal having 10Gb pipe to the ISP but how is the ISP connected to the internet backbone? If they have a 10Gb backbone connection or even 40Gb they'll be oversubscribed with more than a few customers.

"VTel’s new 10 Gig residential Internet"

So, it's residential, which probably means 10 Gig down, 5 meg up, and a 250GB cap.

So now you can hit your cap even faster!

If my math is correct, at 10 Gb/s, you'd hit a 2.5TB cap in just over 33 minutes. After that: "Additional usage billed in increments of 1GB."

And who saturates a 10Gb/s residential line? If you aren't running a business out of your home or a seedbox(both which aren't allowed AFAIK) you won't really be hitting that cap anytime soon.

Hmmm something about this makes me uneasy.

VTel’s new 10 Gig residential Internet has been made possible by an $85 million VTel telephone network award from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Utilities Service
So we have a federal branch of the government who works with utilities in very sparsely populated (aka rural) areas fork over a huge chunk of change, now they can offer 10Gbps speeds? So my questions are this
1) does this company primarily provide to rural areas?
2) if no, what kind of service does this company provide to rural areas
3) if that service is 1Gbps to RURAL areas why the fuck did they feel the "need" to push that 10Gbps
4) if speeds significantly slower than 1Gbps to rural areas, they're basically using money allocated for improving rural infrastructure so that suburbs/urban areas can get super fast internet?

I'll admit there's not a lot of detail here, but it sounds like a huge waste of money for what it ultimately was intended for.

And who saturates a 10Gb/s residential line? If you aren't running a business out of your home or a seedbox(both which aren't allowed AFAIK) you won't really be hitting that cap anytime soon.

If you were using an online backup service for your 3TB of data?

I can explain this perfectly

I have Google Fiber and while I see incredible speeds, it take a little know how to get 1gbit along with the right service / severs

I often see 65MB to 95MB a second but only from EA, MS, Amazon, Steam and those like services.

To see 1gbit I have to open 70 to 100 concurrent threads off usenet. The tricky part is that there are only a handful of usenet service providers that can deliver those types of speeds. There are many many resellers and typically, the speed is not that great. Anyways, if you can afford a few 2 or 3 accounts, you can get the 100+ MB a second.

4gbit? You would never ever see those speeds

Why offer it? It's an upsale / marketing and nothing more.

Man that is drool worthy speeds. As long as it's cap free that is. Pretty curious how fast a torrent would go on a gigabit line with enough speeds.

Well it depends on what you are talking about. For home use there are plenty of 10gbe routers for a few hundred. Rarely if ever does a home user need a dedicated firewall. For business that are going to need this kind of speed, that kind of equipment really isn't a problem.

Uh, try thousands of dollars.

There is no 10gbe equipment that is designed for home usage. At a minimum, you'd be looking at $200 per 10gbps NIC and if you need a switch, that will be in the upper hundreds to thousands.

Aren't the first gen DOCSIS 3.1 modems only going to support like 4-5Gb down? The rental for that 10 Gb/s hardware is going to be killer.

This is a silly discussion. Does anyone here really honestly think anyone out there is going to send you data at 4gbit? Seriously? And on top of that, who the hell can you send 4gbit of data to all for the low price of a car payment / good chunk of rent or a house payment to?

Vermont is one of those pretend states that no one actually lives in, isn't it?

Link? And I"m not talking about home built machines but actually consumer grade routers/firewalls that will handle 10GB. I'm guessing that they will use Fibre instead of copper.

Since we use Sophos here I went and looked at their site. Yes the lower end models can get 10GB ports but that's still a rack mount unit. I wonder what the markup is for those models to have 10GB

My bad, was on my phone and it was a bunch of switches mis labeled as routers. I really despise when websites do that for clicks. That said there are indeed routers sub 3k, with some in the $1500-2k range. A simple Google search brings them up. I wouldn't call them consumer grade, but certainly not big iron either. We'll probably start seeing high end consumer grade routers in the $1000 range in the next few years. That said, if you can afford the kind of connection to need a router like this, then cost really isn't much of a factor. However what consumers can afford and take advantage of right now are 10gb copper switches which are sub $500. Still looking at close to a grand total for a switch and a couple nic's, but if you need that kind of throughput, it isn't horrible.

That said, I'm not looking forward to replacing my Cisco stack. :eek:

Me too. I'm paying that much for 18/2 :( ATT . Can't wait for fiber to become the standard :D

If the average home user had any clue as to what and who is constantly trying to access their system, they would be scared out of their mind.

I can watch the live firewall log on my router box running Sophos UTM and see Chinese IP addresses trying to SSH into my stuff. I also see a lot of other IP addresses trying to gain access to my systems.

Try this. Stick a newly imaged unpatched XP box on a cable connection directly to the modem. Give it 15 minutes and it will be hosed with malware. You don;t even have to do anything but boot it up into windows. I have tried it before. Not pretty.

If the average home user had any clue as to what and who is constantly trying to access their system, they would be scared out of their mind.

I can watch the live firewall log on my router box running Sophos UTM and see Chinese IP addresses trying to SSH into my stuff. I also see a lot of other IP addresses trying to gain access to my systems.

Try this. Stick a newly imaged unpatched XP box on a cable connection directly to the modem. Give it 15 minutes and it will be hosed with malware. You don;t even have to do anything but boot it up into windows. I have tried it before. Not pretty.

I use wire shark daily, I'm familiar. However a large percentage of that traffic is just noise. Some is seeking old vulnerabilities without any means to exploit it due to age and some is very legitimate threats. However such a small percentage is even remotely threatening to a properly patched machine that a good router properly set up and good browsing habits can avoid it. I say again after over a decade of doing this and never having malware on my personal network, the average consumer doesn't benefit in the least from a dedicated firewall. Any decent router has enough functions built into it.

I'll pass on the xp machine. No consumer has any business with an xp machine at this point, especially an unpatched one. I spent enough years supporting it to know how incredibly shitty xp security is. You couldn't pay me to connect one of those malware boxes to my network.

Watch someone get this for their home, and still end up with youtube and netflix buffering, lol!

Back