ISP needs a ulternative solution to Ubiquiti for Residental/Business customers

Hey all,

As the title suggest, I work for an ISP and currently looking for a wireless solution for customers. Both residential and business customers.

I see according to many reviews that ubilquiti doesn't do residential in general.

What we want:

Want to be able to deploy devices that we can have support manage remotely without having to go on customer site if a wireless issue occurs.

We don't want CPEs in general. Hardware driven would be great.

Not sure if your looking for a WISP solution or a managed wifi solution for your customers. If the later though it may be more than you're looking for give Fortinet a look. They offer firewalls+ controllers + radios, firewalls + controllers as well as dedicated managed access points.

I'll add that we've deployed several for customers and never had any issues that I am aware of. We use an older model in my lab for wireless access and I am currently using a Fortigate 140POE controlling two 320C FAP in my home.

Last edited:
Can you deploy a WISP solution in an already established cable Internet company?

Edit: Is Fortinet a solution for regular residential customers as well?

you want to be able to deploy devices

then you say you don't want CPEs

well which is it? it really doesn't sound like you even know what you're asking for, here

LOL at this request.

Ubiquiti was born by WISPs. They totally are in the market for residential.

Sounds like your company needs to hire a consultant because you are in way over your head.

Can you deploy a WISP solution in an already established cable Internet company?

Edit: Is Fortinet a solution for regular residential customers as well?

The first question would be a question for your leadership. As for Fortinet's offerings, they offer everything from tiny appliances to chassis based solutions with every iteration in between. They certainly have models suited for residential use.

With that said I think Klank has nailed it you appear to be out your depth and need to seek professional advice.

Not sure what you're looking for, are you asking about on premise hardware or long-range?
As far as on premise goes I'd be very hesitant to go for a vendor that isn't specialized in that area (just putting out random UBNT hw is going to be a nightmare) or do something "in-house". Many ISPs get OEM hardware (usually very similar to a stock consumer model) with some specific hardware requirements and proprietary software. Many vendors use OpenWRT/LEDE as a base, usually because that vendor uses it as their SDK and build on top of that.

As stated before Ubiquiti equipment is definitely the way to go, and is designed for doing just this. I would recommend contacting a reseller and/or consultant to answer your questions.

Yes, it sucks if you accidentally set the wrong setting on a CPE and it loses wireless connectivity and you have to roll a truck. Been there, done that. But you're going to get that with pretty much every manufacturer of wireless to ethernet CPE bridges. Plan accordingly. Plan maintenance windows and config changes to every detail. Test before going live. I think with the Ubiquiti since it is running linux, you could make config changes, don't write to flash, and set a cronjob to reboot after x minutes. That way if your config changes screw up, the unit will reboot and save you a truck roll. I could be wrong. Never had to do that.... yet.

Yes, it sucks if you accidentally set the wrong setting on a CPE and it loses wireless connectivity and you have to roll a truck. Been there, done that. But you're going to get that with pretty much every manufacturer of wireless to ethernet CPE bridges. Plan accordingly. Plan maintenance windows and config changes to every detail. Test before going live. I think with the Ubiquiti since it is running linux, you could make config changes, don't write to flash, and set a cronjob to reboot after x minutes. That way if your config changes screw up, the unit will reboot and save you a truck roll. I could be wrong. Never had to do that.... yet.
that functionality is builtin

Back