ISP Monitoring

JWeavis

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to do some monitoring of my crappy ISP. I have not finished setting up my pfSense box, but have Merlin installed on my ASUS RT-AC68 with Optware. However, I'm not sure if rrdtools is my best fit tool for the job, and if it is, how to get it installed.

I have a ESXi environment so I can stand up anything recommended, but won't be replacing the RT-AC68 at this time. *nix and networking are not my specialties so I figured I'd look for some options here.

ISP monitoring? Can you be more specific as to what you're trying to accomplish?

The ISP will probably not let you have snmp access to their equipment. You will have to rely on something like ICMP to a public server to guage uptime.

Even then the ISP will not consider that "Evidence" of an outtage, they will normally just tell you to piss off and be happy you have any service at all (Assuming your on comcast :) )

The ISP will probably not let you have snmp access to their equipment. You will have to rely on something like ICMP to a public server to guage uptime.

Even then the ISP will not consider that "Evidence" of an outtage, they will normally just tell you to piss off and be happy you have any service at all (Assuming your on comcast :) )

"Oh you're unhappy with our service? Tell us how that feels.." -cable company
http://www.nowcultured.com/images/2...able-company-employees-nipples-south-park.jpg

Southpark hit the nail on that one.

Uptime and traffic quality mainly. But something a little more than just a ping monitor (as I am showing ping losses).

It's wowway.net

Oh I understand. I don't typically get any where with the CS people.

Last edited:
Back