ISP limiting number of connected devices

Getting internet service and the provider is telling me that I will be limited to only having three devices that can access the internet. We have more devices then that on our home network currently and I am not sure what we can do. One server for example just streams our movie and music collection. It doesn't need internet access, but it still needs to be accessible from the other computers that do need to get online.

Thanks.

So whats the question exactly? What provider are you with? Sounds like they're using DHCP via those all-in-one modem/router combo crap devices to lock it down on your side if that's the case. Depending on the ISP you can ask them to turn it off or buy your own modem. DSL maybe a little harder to get out from underneath the ISP's jack boot.

What ISP, and how are they checking that? Know any neighbors who have the service that might have the same problem? See if they use more devices anyway.

But seriously, 3 devices? Even at a home, you figure, one desktop, one dvr, and a cell phone on WiFi? what about the wife's cell phone? that's number four. Bam! you're violating their terms. Right?

Your ISP is limiting the number of public IP's they give you to 3. Your devices will use private IP's handed out by your router. And the number of those are limited to whatever your DHCP pool is set to on the router. If you are using a router/modem combo from the ISP it doesn't make any sense why they would limit private IP's. It doesn't effect them in any way how many devices you have connected.

Your ISP is limiting the number of public IP's they give you to 3. Your devices will use private IP's handed out by your router. And the number of those are limited to whatever your DHCP pool is set to on the router.

I would hope that's what it is. Shoot, 3 public IP's is exceptional for residential service.

+1 to what Mopower said. It's more likely they're talking about 3 direct connected devices, not 3 devices total. (If they are really talking 3 devices total, let us know which ISP so we can stay far, far away from them.)

Get yourself a NAT router (any home / SOHO router is a NAT router)... Plug that into the device provided by your ISP. Then put all your devices behind that NAT router. For most purposes, this counts as one device connected directly to the internet.

Its a rural wireless provider, only other option was satellite and I didn't want to go there either. They mount a device on the side of our hose to get their signal and then run a line inside. Said that our router "might" work with their system but that we "might" have to buy one of theirs. Sounds like BS, but they would let us know when its installed later this week.

Just use a NAT router like everybody else. That will be one device, does not matter what's behind it. You should not be connecting stuff directly to the internet anyway unless it's for very specific purposes...

This is a small ISP, so the normal "common sense" rules don't necessarily apply. They may really be trying to limit the number of devices the customer uses.

My guess is it's bandwidth related, especially given it's wireless. And while, yes, you would be right to point out "Why not just implement a bandwidth cap or rate limiting?" I would answer that with "small ISP".

OP: I would get clarification from them. Are they giving you three IPs? Or a single IP and are dictating to you how many devices you can have behind it?

This is a small ISP, so the normal "common sense" rules don't necessarily apply. They may really be trying to limit the number of devices the customer uses.

My guess is it's bandwidth related, especially given it's wireless. And while, yes, you would be right to point out "Why not just implement a bandwidth cap or rate limiting?" I would answer that with "small ISP".

OP: I would get clarification from them. Are they giving you three IPs? Or a single IP and are dictating to you how many devices you can have behind it?

Your words about us small guys hurt!

I have to admit you're right. There's " ISP best practice" and then there's "Small ISP practice". I've inherited a lot of face palms and head scratchers.

yeah unfortunately i've come across small ISPs in the past where they don't even give out public IP's to their customers. You're actually on the same LAN, part of the same private-IP subnet as all of your neighbors :rolleyes:

Your words about us small guys hurt!

I have to admit you're right. There's " ISP best practice" and then there's "Small ISP practice". I've inherited a lot of face palms and head scratchers.
Heh, sorry.

To be fair, I've run across a few small ISPs that were on the ball and able to offer better service than the big guys. Sadly, this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

yeah unfortunately i've come across small ISPs in the past where they don't even give out public IP's to their customers. You're actually on the same LAN, part of the same private-IP subnet as all of your neighbors :rolleyes:

OT: It's not just the "small ISPs" that are doing this. Big ISPs are starting to put their consumer grade customers behind "carrier grade" NAT devices too. Most consumers never know the difference. Verizon is just one example:
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Carrier-Grade-NAT-CGN/td-p/560237

I will agree that "small ISPs" are less likely to implement the controls to limit the direct "customer to customer" or LAN-like experience of being able to connect to your neighbors. Whether that's due to ignorance, arrogance, or apathy, I can't say......

I guess one advantage is city wide LAN parties. LOL But that sucks if you need to port forward anything...

ISPs need to just start going IPv6.

Many of these small rural ISPs assume that most of their customers are technology challenged and implement solutions that simplify installation and minimize the ISP's support calls. Try calling the tech support line and explain that you are tech aware and would like a setup where you control and accept support responsibility for everything on your side of of their modem.

Back