ISP abuse

only1brian

Limp Gawd
I wanted to ask if anyone has ever reported a user from an ISP?

I recently had a person harassing me over AIM, so i whipped out Ethereal and got an IP, traced and contacted the ISP's abuse hotline on the incident and following up with an email.

Anyone been in a situation like this? Just looking for information or stories that can be told, or even advice for future reference, etc.

Not much you can do unless

a. the person is threatening your life
b. multiple reports from different people complaining about the same person
c. you're rich
d. you're powerful like CEO of a big corp
e. you or your company is a big customer of the ISP

If you're just a regular person like most of us, ISP will do very little. Every day on IRC, IMs, etc... people talk crap about each other and cuss like crazy, but ISP don't do nothing because none of the above are met.

Best thing you can do is just put the person on your ignore list or block everyone except for people in your buddy list.

Yeah, well ive followed up on the person through a little friend, google.com. Evidently this person stalks more than a few people. But yea, oh well. Thanks for the ABCs. :)

AIM has this new revolutionary feature where you can actually BLOCK someone from communicating with you.

You should seriously check it out!

I wish I knew how to torment them back. There is a program which you can send a person multiple messages under several names, but I've forgotten what program that is.

there used to be programs where you could logoff, spam, send every warning/error message to someone and seriously just mess with them. I'm almost positive they no longer exsist because AOL got smart and patched it so you couldn't do it anymore.

Regardless, just block the person or get a new screen name

AIM has this new revolutionary feature where you can actually BLOCK someone from communicating with you.

You should seriously check it out!
This just in, AIM has this revolutionary service where you can create new screen names on the fly.

By the way, its not just AIM. :rolleyes:

well this is not an ISP problem!

I have reported to a few ISPs about hack attempts and also complained about a port scan done every hour by Telewest to see if your running an none passworded FTP. It clogs up my logs like there is no tomorrow... annoying as hell.

Back