isopropyl alcohol expiration date

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I have an almost half full bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol that I use to clean my heatsinks...the bottle's expiration date was 2007...would I still be able to use it to clean my CPU heatsink effectively even if the bottle has technically expired?

I wouldn't worry about it, the expiry date is probably just there since over time the alcohol will evaporate off and reduce the 70% value.

should've bought 99.9% isopropyl, so even after the exp. date it's still better than 70% :p

so it won't harm the CPU if I use the expired bottle on it?...even if the alcohol has evaporated below the 70% range?...how much alcohol evaporates from it every year?...and at what point is it unsafe to clean the CPU?...40%?

I think you should be fine, if you start seeing a noticeable film left after the stuff dries then it might be a good idea to get a new bottle.

That date only exists because the alcohol is being sold as a "drug" in that form. It won't hurt your CPU.

Sorry to hijack your thread(seems like your question has been answered :D), but does anyone know if AS5 have a expiration date? I found a tube underneath my desk from probably god knows what year.

Sorry to hijack your thread(seems like your question has been answered :D), but does anyone know if AS5 have a expiration date? I found a tube underneath my desk from probably god knows what year.

As far as I know AS5 is only good for a year or so. I believe that it helps if you store it upright so as to help prevent the separation of the compounds. Probably better to toss it if it's that old.

eh, I use some that is 3 years old, and have some AS3 that is over 5 I use for ramsinks. It will seperate, just pull the plunger out of the back and remix with a toothpick. If left capped it will not go "bad" just seperate like oil and water salad dressing. If left open it will dry out and be unusable.

HOWEVER I am the cheapest penny pinching bastard that ever walked the earth. (except when buying Scotch, as I have a lot of Scottish blood in me I consider it a patrotic duty and moral imperative to buy good single malt. ) If it bothers you the least bit, get some new stuff.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_singlecore_wcap.pdf

(red is mine)

5 Storage of Arctic Silver 5
To keep Arctic Silver 5 fresh for future applications, always replace the cap on the syringe after each use. The syringe sould be stored tip down so that any separation between the particles and suspension fluid will be at the back end of the syringe. Like any mix of particles that are many times heavier than the suspension fluid, there will be some separation in the compound over time when stored in the original syringe. Because all thermal compounds eventually experience some separation in storage, storing in a cool place lika refrigerator will also lessen the separation over time. However, this not affect the performance of the un-separated or remixed compound.

Not joking, poor some out (in a safe place, no shit) and light it on fire. If it burns it's still got plenty of alcohol in it.

If it is 50%+ it should burn (without heating it first) remember it might be burning clear lol.

eh, I use some that is 3 years old, and have some AS3 that is over 5 I use for ramsinks. It will seperate, just pull the plunger out of the back and remix with a toothpick. If left capped it will not go "bad" just seperate like oil and water salad dressing. If left open it will dry out and be unusable.

How can you tell if it is separated? I have some AS5 that is 3 years old and its still gray and gooey, like normal AS5.

If you cant tell, it isnt. If it is its pretty easy to tell, it separates into a silvery oil that is much thinner than "good' stuff and a very thick silver goop/paste. Depending on which way it was sitting in the drawer (tip up or tip down) it will be obvious when you try to squeeze it out. It will be pretty hard to squeeze if the paste is at the tip and obviously much thicker than normal and it will be very easy to squeeze the plunger if the oil is at the tip and the stuff will squirt out all over the place and be very runny.

Just like oil and water salad dressing, If it is seperated badly you can hold it up to the light and see the layers.

If still not sure, just pull the plunger out of the back and give it a real good stir with a toothpick or slim bamboo skewer or straightened paper clip and gently replace the plunger.

Well it was sitting on its side for the most part. I'll probably just pull out the plunger and stir just to be safe. But it seems okay for the most part. Thanks

Back