ISO Opinions: Transferring SSD OS to M.2, but which one?

ZDPhoenix

Gawd
Salutations! I'm wanting to transfer my SSD OS Drive to an M.2 and use the SSD space for a games/media drive.

I'm unsure of which M.2 to purchase, as I'm looking to keep it under $300.

Here's my Motherboard.

Also, could I use a PCIe Adapter like this, to occupy my open PCIe slot, while also using the open M.2 slot on my mobo. Or am I limited to using 1 M.2 at a time?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a good price, for sure.

Also, could I use a PCIe Adapter like this, to occupy my open PCIe slot, while also using the open M.2 slot on my mobo. Or am I limited to using 1 M.2 at a time?

That's a good price, for sure.

There are no limits on the number of devices you can use at a time.

Z97 m.2 is limited to PCIe 2, so the port on the board will top out below 2 GB/s (it may be just 1 GB/s, the documentation and reviews seem to leave out whether it is x2 or x4. "Socket 3" suggests x4). If you use an adapter in one of the CPU-powered x16 slots, you'll get full PCIe 3 x4 bandwidth, though the GPU slot drops to x8, if that matters.

Speaking of adapters, Try this one. Costs half as much, and the x8/x16 connectors on the model you listed aren't actually connected to anything and limit future reuse. They're really there to keep the thing from snapping off its x4 connector since it lacks a slot bracket.

Back