ISO: High Res 27"+ monitor, glossy, + suggestions +

Gunlex00

n00b
ISO: High Res 27"+ Gaming Monitor

> 1920x1080
Glossy

Bonus for: Sexyness, stand(+rotate+tilt), webcam, speakers, displayport, HDMI, capacitive buttons, thin bezel, warranty.

It needs to be fast, I would even love a true 120hz+ panel! Low input lag, fast response, and no ghosting - these need to be known facts.

...tell me about these Catleap monitors? Or how about BenQ? Either good? What models?

Price not a concern, but looking for price/performance. Link Link Link! I wana know where you guys shop, share the knowledge! :D

Show me what you got in those memory banks HardMembers! :p

Last edited:
100 views and no replies...is that a joke? Or is everyone just wanting this info and no one knows... :(

Some monitor brands I've found on the front page here:

Achieva Shimian - ebay only?
Catleap - ebay only?
Crossover - ebay only?

What model will I want? And what sellers are credible? I really want to put in an order this aternoon, help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
probably because there's several threads already out there you could read up on... just look a few threads down in the forum.

probably because there's several threads already out there you could read up on... just look a few threads down in the forum.

I've read the whole front page. I see the different ones people are listing, but it looks like no one is really jumping on them...and most are IPS, from what I understand they don't have the best input lag/response times, but I could be wrong.. hence why I posted.

Overlord Tempest OC is what im waiting on. "A" grade 27 inch IPS 1440p with american warranty and the OC models have PCB's that allow 60+ hz.

Since I am used to my current 120hz, i wanted an IPS that can hopefully pull 100+hz :D

Last edited:
.and most are IPS, from what I understand they don't have the best input lag/response times, but I could be wrong.
You fell victim to enthusiasts hair-splitting the minutia, or people confusing info when cross referencing different models. The response times are very good for an IPS. Is there better? Of course, but most other IPS are a little worse actually, also note there is some response time variance between models and input-board revisions. As for input lag, which is not the same thing as response time btw, the non-scaler models have 1/2 frame of lag ~ 4-8ms. Whereas the scaler versions with multiple inputs have 1 frame of lag ~ 16-18ms.

The Korean 27" 120hz IPS panel that YesPlz posted above would definitely be something to look into imho. And remember that insisting on more features will make your search that much harder, if not impossible.

Good luck either way.

So after a very long research night(4am), I pulled the trigger on this:

ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite

To try and save the community time and sanity, I will go into great detail of how I came to this decision. Read on:

The three Korean panel ebay contenders were the Shimian, Crossover, and of course the Catleap monitors. Reading everywhere it appears that none of the Catleap monitors(the only brand that could possibly be 120hz) would be 120hz, because 120hz.net is the sole place where you can get those panels for the near future(they are supposibly getting a shipment in this upcoming week).

120hz panels
After much research about how they are essentially hacking/moding these displays to get that 120hz, I didn't like the idea of the possibly overworked display dieing on me. While a 120hz panel would be great, I didn't feel the risk, wait, and possibility of the seller being gone soon was worth it, especially being that 120hz.net is merely an internet company, that could poof at any moment; not worth the $400+ price tag, to me.

Inputs - (and lag)
It looks like each brand has their own model with varrying inputs, but one thing remained the same, the price was always higher. Inputs would have been nice(the model I got has only a DVI-D input), but the addition of other inputs requires a scaler, which adds input lag(at least some, possibly a TON), not to mention these "higher end" models have OSDs(on screen displays) which ad their own input lag. Being that I'm going to use this monitor mainly/solely for gaming, I wanted the lowest input lag possible, and wasn't going to worry about having other inputs. I also found a graph of some of these monitor's input lag(Link) and it showed the avg input lag for the QH270-Lite to be only 11.2ms, a very good number. Granted the other brands base models may also have this low of input lag, I couldn't find any hard facts, so while I wasn't going to trust this number, it was nice to see.

Ebay Sellers
So I had made up my mind, the Shimian it was. But I had to decide who to buy from, and that is where most of my time was spent. I read through 40+ pages of the Shimian thread, and after noting everyone's experience with each seller, this is what I found;

Red-cap - One user's monitor died within 3hrs, they sent an RMA form, and the seller paid for return shipping, and shipping of another monitor; fast response. I also like their pixel policy, 1 dead/stuck in the middle and it will be replaced, 5 total is also a replacement. Two users didn't get pixel perfect and had flawless monitors. 2-3 days shipping avg

Bigclothcraft - multiple reports of faulty monitors(power bricks possibly) and the seller not responding to messages. Must pay for replacement brick if defective($50). 2-3 days shipping avg

Dhsummer - only one commentor; 1 stuck pixel, 4 days shipping.

Ta_planet - only one commentor; paid return shipping on defective unit.

Cool-guys - Didn't respond to messages, defective unit, completely SOL

Accessorieswhole - Fast shipping...I lost my notes on them, but something steered me away.

With this info, I liked red-caps pixel guarantee more, and the helpful RMA process was what I was looking for; I was sold.

Pixel Perfect
There were at least 2 reports by commentors in the Shimian thread that they had purchased the "pixel perfect" option, and received panels with stuck or dead pixels, one even had mediocre to bad back light bleeding; that was all I needed to know, I wasn't biting. I also read 2 reviews that DID NOT get the pixel perfect guarantee, and had no stuck/dead pixels. tl:dr DONT GET PIXEL PERFECT, its a hoax; I think they have the noobs looking for pixels...cuz let's face it how hard is that job really...Granted on this display the pixels are incredibly small, people report its very hard to even notice a single dead pixel; unless of course you are looking using a full screen of a single color.

So that's my roundup, I've officially wasted my Saturday morning sleeping in because I was up so late, and writing this. I did consider the Microcenter panels, but they are more expensive, and I'd have a 5+ hour drive to get one...not worth the time/gas$. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I've gathered a ton of info the last few days.

I am also going to post this in the main thread, I hope this helps the community.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I also found a graph of some of these monitor's input lag(Link) and it showed the avg input lag for the QH270-Lite to be only 11.2ms, a very good number. Granted the other brands base models may also have this low of input lag, I couldn't find any hard facts, so while I wasn't going to trust this number, it was nice to see.
That chart you linked is for pixel response and Not input lag, but those are good results.

Input lag, as i mentioned in my last post, is even lower at around 4 to 8ms ;)

I bet you'll love your Shimian as much as i do my Catleap, good luck with it.

That chart you linked is for pixel response and Not input lag, but those are good results.

Input lag, as i mentioned in my last post, is even lower at around 4 to 8ms ;)

I bet you'll love your Shimian as much as i do my Catleap, good luck with it.

oh dang, well, good to know!

Back