Isn't it weird how Crysis plays well at >30fps?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
I was messing around with the SP demo and had the settings cranked up avrg fps about 25 or so. Weird how if I did not have fraps on I would not have known that the fps was under 30. Is it the engine? Gives me hope that they can optimize the game enough to be playable in a heavy fight by release.

They use motion blurring like films on your TV that run at 24 or 30fps.
I find it is still smoother at 30fps or above but it isnt so bad down to 24fps and still gives a presentable experience.

I was messing around with the SP demo and had the settings cranked up avrg fps about 25 or so. Weird how if I did not have fraps on I would not have known that the fps was under 30. Is it the engine? Gives me hope that they can optimize the game enough to be playable in a heavy fight by release.

It differs from game to game, eg CoD2 is the same, you don't "feel" the lows FPS(20's) as you would do in eg. FarCry.

Some people havn't gotten this in yet, så they spout "I need +60FPS" , without knowning what they talk about ;)

Could be fun to do "blind-tests" and see if people can tell the FPS or not.
I would consider at steady low FPS better than a +60FPS with dips to 20's.

Yeah I prefer a steady fps that only varies about 10 than one that wildly fluctuates. Messes with your timing.

I don't know why you guys just bog your system down with fraps :p just type r_displayinfo 1 in console!

no. u guys are just in denial about the low FPS and are just trying to convince yourselves sub 30fps is smooth or playable. the instant it goes under 30 fps i notice. no different than any other game. its funny. delusional is what you guys are are. now you are making threads like some sort of AA meeting to make yourselves feel better about the miserable performance you all are getting.

no. u guys are just in denial about the low FPS and are just trying to convince yourselves sub 30fps is smooth or playable. the instant it goes under 30 fps i notice. no different than any other game. its funny. delusional is what you guys are are. now you are making threads like some sort of AA meeting to make yourselves feel better about the miserable performance you all are getting.
QFT. But I have to admit it's not as bad as some other games that dip below 30fps as it then becomes a slide show. For me, the demo was only playable with the shaders set to medium with everything else set on high at 1680x1050. Even then it dipped below 30fps occasionally but was mostly smooth throughout the game.

Sad but true. Way to burst everyone's bubble though, lol. Even mine. BTW I've been playing with a 360 controller and I must admit you notice the fps even less this way because you cant "look" or strafe as fast making the sub 30fps more bearable. It feels and plays exactly like any 360 shooter and the game detects and maps the buttons pretty well, except for having to press z for prone due to a lack of buttons.

Well, a lot of console games run at 30fps, but they're perfectly playable. (Though the fact that most of them are interlaced has something to do with it.) Still, 30FPS is playable for many games. As long as there's no random tearing and whatnot, it's a little choppy, but perfectly playable. I played Bioshock at 20-40FPS the whole way though, and it was fine.

I cant stand in demo using motion blur if fps is below 30 and its mostly is :( turned it off and i can play very well with 20-25fps, sometimes even below 20.

I cant stand in demo using motion blur if fps is below 30 and its mostly is :( turned it off and i can play very well with 20-25fps, sometimes even below 20.

Same here. I hate motion blur. It makes things look worse rather than better. Trouble is, with crysis, to lose motion blur you have to drop the post processing effects a notch which also lowers the HDR and removes godrays. Proper annoying.

But yeah. I find this game totally playable at ~20fps. Incidentally, i play at 1920x1200 with the hacked DX9 Very high settings with an average of about 22fps. The only time i really notice the framerate is during the cutscenes which are pretty much slideshows.

All I want is to be able to play this game smoothly at 1280x1024 with x4 AA and DX10 at Very High.

Am I the only who actually likes the motion blur?

I become much more immersed in the combat when I'm running around a bunch of enemies and everything blurs during rapid movement.

no. u guys are just in denial about the low FPS and are just trying to convince yourselves sub 30fps is smooth or playable. the instant it goes under 30 fps i notice. no different than any other game. its funny. delusional is what you guys are are. now you are making threads like some sort of AA meeting to make yourselves feel better about the miserable performance you all are getting.[/quote[

It is playable. If time demo runs over 30fps average the first time through (not when you gain 1-2fps on tests 2/3/4) I'll use the settings.

It would be nice if I could use at least 2xAA at 1680x1050 because with a .255mm dot pitch on my monitor (or something around that) I've already got a pretty sharp picture as it is. But lack of AA is still noticeable, but it doesn't bother me - the game already looks so nice.

Am I the only who actually likes the motion blur?

I'm wondering if it causes longer image retention (ghosting) on slower LCD monitors?
On my CRT, it looks nice and really helps make the image smoother at sub 30fps.

Everyone keeps saying how playable Crysis is at 20-30 fps... sure, that's fine for single player, but not even close for multiplayer. Am I the only one who really cares about multiplayer?

I've tried everything between all settings on high and all on medium, and no matter what, there's often lag and stuttering, especially when firing weapons. The best balance I've found seems to be important settings like shaders on high, with the rest on medium. That gives me good visuals with 40 or so fps most of the time, but it stills drops to the teens somewhat often and gets me killed. Its a lot better than having all settings on high, though. I only hope that they have things a bit better optimized for release. System specs are 8800 Ultra, e6700, 2gb RAM, 1920x1080.

Everyone keeps saying how playable Crysis is at 20-30 fps... sure, that's fine for single player, but not even close for multiplayer. Am I the only one who really cares about multiplayer?

No you arent alone, I will use lower quality settings to get my framerate up on an X1800PE. I can easily get 30fps avg using medium settings with water on high, so it shouldnt be too hard to push more than 45fps.
Hmm, i'm going to check that...

I should have a better graphics card by the time I buy the game so hopefully I'll have all the glory on.

Same here. I hate motion blur. It makes things look worse rather than better. Trouble is, with crysis, to lose motion blur you have to drop the post processing effects a notch which also lowers the HDR and removes godrays. Proper annoying.
Just edit the .CFG files to make it so that motionblur=0.

No you arent alone, I will use lower quality settings to get my framerate up on an X1800PE. I can easily get 30fps avg using medium settings with water on high, so it shouldnt be too hard to push more than 45fps.
Hmm, i'm going to check that...

rofl I get over 90fps on low settings at 1024 res.
It doesnt look like multiplayer will be a problem :)

Thank goodness for endless tweakability, this is in my Crysis tweaks folder that I hoard for every game :D from another member's post here HTH:

Post proccessing tips, if you dont like motion blur, but want to see sunrays and coronas that are only enabled if you set post processign to very high, here is what you can do, go to

Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Config\CVarGroups\sys_spec_PostProcessing.cfg

open this file and change it to look like this

[default]
; default of this CVarGroup
= 4

r_DepthOfField=2
r_MotionBlur=0
r_sunshafts=1
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_Flares=1
r_Coronas=1
r_colorgrading=1
r_GlowScreenMultiplier = 0.2

then in game set post processing to very high, you get the sun rays, coronas, depth of field without the motion blur or edge enhancment wich slows down current cards

Well, you could of said it with nicer words, lol, but I couldn't agree with you more. Yes, there is a big difference between 30fps and 60fps. I mean, go try it out by lowering the settings in different games. I personally prefer to lower some settings in games to maintain 50~60fps, rather than playing full eye candy at 25~30fps. As somebody here said, it's more noticeable during online play. Why? Well, I think is that in single player games the AI is not as good as a real person and the game is relatively slow paste, but in multiplayer matches every millisecond counts. And yes, it does seem like you walk/move faster with higher frames, making you feel more agile.
Of course, this varies from game to game. I don't mind playing an RPG at 25fps, but I NEED to play a racing game at 40fps, and an action packed game, including First-Person-Shooters, at 50~60fps. That's just how it is.

I don't mind taking down some settings to get better framerates. I find first person shooters far more enjoyable if it is smooth. The single biggest improvement in frames per second for me is to take AA off. Framerates shoot up by nearly 20fps when it's disabled. All other settings high at 1280 x 1024. averaging in the 40's

lol I get as much as 170 fps in multiplayer but my settings/res are/is waaaaay lower.

this is just about single player eye candy settings.

Back