IS7 Gigabit and no gigabit

MooCow

Supreme [H]ardness
What was the reason behind Abit changing the onboard 3COm gigabit lan with the realtek onboard lan? I've read all over Abit's forums and of course, Abit does not answer anyone's posts about it. I just want to know why the early versions of the IS7 have gigabit lan and now the latest ones don't have it built in. Right now I have the one with the realtek lan, along with the different northbridge heatsink.

My guess is that the gigabit lan sometimes had problems with some other NIC's. My friend is having some issues with extremely slow transfers in the lan, like 150kbps, while to other computers its 7-11MB a sec. I heard that cable quality plays a big role in gigabit lan these days, so maybe some CAT5 cables aren't good enough for it. Eitherway it doesn't seem to matter since everything else I have is 100baseT anyways.

it was actually a manufacturing goof. If you check the abit site for the specs on the IS7 series, only the -G had gigabit lan on it...the rest were just supposed to be 10/100.

Earlier versions of the IS7's (IS7-G/IS7/IS7-E) all had Gigabit NICs.

I've got no issues with the GbE on my IS7-E, but I have noticed that using IPX/SPX seems to slow things down some.

True. But, they were equipping a product with a more expensive feature that was not in the specs. It sucks for us now, but for them that was a bad thing, since you didn't have to pay for the IS7-G to get the GbE. It's not like you're talking about a $100 difference here.

Back