Is XFX really that bad?

XFX treated me well a year and a half ago when my 6870 Black died; they replaced it with a 7870 - so they're pretty solid in my book. Stuck on a reference Sapphire R9 290X that gives me a 0xa0000001 bsod every couple days now ._.

Just started up the RMA process for a XFX 290 that keeps black screening on me. So far XFXSupport was very helpful with my initial PM. I'll let you know now how it goes from here on out.

I've been an Nvidia fan for so long, only ever purchasing cards through EVGA because, well, EVGA. When I decided to switch over to AMD because the price for performance was so enticing (pre-coin), I got a reference XFX 290, which had coil whine problems. RMA'd to XFX and everything went perfectly. I had replaced the thermal paste on the original card (destroyed all the warranty stickers on the screws), but it was no problem.

When they deemed the original card worthy of a replacement, they sent me a 290 DD Black Edition, brand new in retail packaging, which is a great card. Temps at 75 deg C playing BF4 on Ultra vs 94 on the reference card, so I'm pretty happy about that. Card is also amazingly quiet. Now, I don't fully understand the glowing XFX logo if it's pointed downward and out of sight, but I suppose it's neat enough. It's also faster in 3DMark at 980MHz than my reference card at 1050MHz, so there's that. VRM temps DO get high, though. 95 deg C after an extended run of Valley Benchmark, so there's that.

TL;DR - Warranty/RMA process is awesome, great customer service. 290 DD Black Edition is fast, quiet and generally awesome, though VRM temps are high. A+++++++ SELLER, QUICK SHIPPING, WOULD BUY AGAIN, etc etc.

Can't attest to any of their other products... I'm really a Corsair junkie, so there's that.

I've been an Nvidia fan for so long, only ever purchasing cards through EVGA because, well, EVGA. When I decided to switch over to AMD because the price for performance was so enticing (pre-coin), I got a reference XFX 290, which had coil whine problems. RMA'd to XFX and everything went perfectly. I had replaced the thermal paste on the original card (destroyed all the warranty stickers on the screws), but it was no problem.

When they deemed the original card worthy of a replacement, they sent me a 290 DD Black Edition, brand new in retail packaging, which is a great card. Temps at 75 deg C playing BF4 on Ultra vs 94 on the reference card, so I'm pretty happy about that. Card is also amazingly quiet. Now, I don't fully understand the glowing XFX logo if it's pointed downward and out of sight, but I suppose it's neat enough. It's also faster in 3DMark at 980MHz than my reference card at 1050MHz, so there's that. VRM temps DO get high, though. 95 deg C after an extended run of Valley Benchmark, so there's that.

TL;DR - Warranty/RMA process is awesome, great customer service. 290 DD Black Edition is fast, quiet and generally awesome, though VRM temps are high. A+++++++ SELLER, QUICK SHIPPING, WOULD BUY AGAIN, etc etc.

Can't attest to any of their other products... I'm really a Corsair junkie, so there's that.
That's refreshing to hear. I really hope my 290 RMA goes as smoothly as yours. Communication with XFX so far has been hassle free so I'm pretty optimistic.

Last edited:
I have an update on my RMA as well... Replacement card is inbound! This was the most painless and quickest turnaround RMA I've ever dealt with. Mark over at XFX was an absolute pleasure to deal with and is a perfect example of what a great CS/RMA rep should be. It's experiences like this that keep me loyal to companies and puts them at the top of my recommendation list.

A huge thank you goes out to Mark and the XFX team!

Last edited:
I've had several xfx cards and never had to replace one under warranty. I did however have an XFX GTX280 that ran hot as hell, but I think that was common with those regardless of brand.

I had two reference 290x xfx cards. One was acting funky so I called their support line. They walked me through a bunch of steps and actually sounded like they knew what they were doing. In they end I rma'd the card which was smooth and easy

A few days ago I just started my 2nd rma with them. The first one was on my first 5830. The original fan had gone out and they sent me a new/refurbish heatsink and fan. Problem was it would not fit cause they had discontinue that ver of the 5830 which was HD-583X-ZNFV. So I figure out a way to cool the card down with a aftermarket fan. Then the card died not long after that and they replaced the card with another 5830 but was HD-583X-ZAFC.

I was happy even had an extra heat sink and fan that will fit it if the one on the card goes out which it did a few months ago.
Now few years later I am rma my rma card. The 2d started to show artifacts and the only way to get it to stop was to raise the core clock when it was in 2d mode. 3d was perfect but 2d was acting up plus it blosd on me once telling me the issue was graphics.

I don't know what they are going to replace it with since the 5830 is no longer in production I just hope they give me something that is at least equal too my original card. Plus I am not really happy about the reply time with the only ticket system 2 days for a reply is pretty long. Now I have to use the on board 4200 graphics. You can game on it but it really sucks.

I know I am behind times just can afford to go out and get the latest greatest thing. Gotta family to take care of.

Back