Is WoW really worth getting into?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
You know, like all other MMORPG's.... EQ I and II, FFXI, etc etc... all you do is run around and "click click click click click" the mouse to death killing random enemies for money and gaining exp just to level your character...

If WoW any different? Usually I pay No attention to MMORPG games anymore for this simple fact of them being all exactly the same with no substance. I know blizzard ALWAYS puts out quality products, but its still a MMORPG...

Any reccommendations? or Thoughts? thanks

After playing a number of MMOs (started with Ultima Online, have also played SW:G, Saga of Ryzom, played WoW during the stress test beta, Matrix Online Beta, Anarchy online, and the EQ 2 demo) I would have to say has seemed to be the best.

Galaxies questing blew.

Ryzom I never really got into because it seemed to suck so bad.

WoW I liked, even in the Beta.

Matrix Online was okay, but the questing blew. Good concept that needs some work though.

Anarchy Online I haven't played much, but don't really like it.

EQ 2 I didn't really like. Which is weird because I love all the games it shares stuff with (Champions of Norrath, Baldur's Gate, et al).

So far, WoW has seemed to be the best out of them all.

Theres so much more to do then just "click click click". Jobs, professions...ect, its such an in depth game. I like and will continue playing :p

You know, like all other MMORPG's.... EQ I and II, FFXI, etc etc... all you do is run around and "click click click click click" the mouse to death killing random enemies for money and gaining exp just to level your character...
Then you won't like WoW. It's more of the same. The basic premise is no different than EQ or FFXI. All MMORPGs follow the same basic formula of hack and slash. Some add PvP, some add quests, some add skill trees and other stuff, customization, etc, but they all have the same basics.

For instance in WoW, you can't even progress to higher craft levels unless you achieve higher character levels through hack and slash and questing (which involves hack and slash)

Astral Abyss said:
Then you won't like WoW. It's more of the same. The basic premise is no different than EQ or FFXI. All MMORPGs follow the same basic formula of hack and slash. Some add PvP, some add quests, some add skill trees and other stuff, customization, etc, but they all have the same basics.

For instance in WoW, you can't even progress to higher craft levels unless you achieve higher character levels through hack and slash and questing (which involves hack and slash)

Not sure what game you played, but it wasn't WoW. Hack and slash *click* *click* *click* - I have more health, I win - is a Diablo/Dungeon Seige kind of game, not WoW.

The basics of most MMORPGs are similar, but WoW does take some thought, especially when playing in a PVP environment. When duking it out with someone, if you just stand there and click away, you are toast. Furthermore, I need to figure out what risks I'm willing to take in contested lands (PVP) in order to finish quests and level up. Not all quests are kill, kill, kill. Some you have to collect x number of things, others have you talk to y NPC.

...and you CAN progress to higher craft levels without questing. You'll just have a harder time doing so, and have to be a wheeler/dealer at the AH. I can currently make leather products that my Shaman can't even use yet.

One of the things WoW got right is the resting - earning 200% exp off of kills lets me take time off and come back and level as though I had been playing the whole time. With WoW, I can have a life and play a MMORPG. It doesn't take very long to go from level 1 to 30. (Can't speak for 31-60, as I haven't hit that high yet.)

Astral Abyss said:

Mostly true. There's obviously clicking, slashing and hacking because it's an RPG. You only have to be a high level (35 or 40 which is not high) to get past 225 in crafting, and there's not much of a need for a 35-40 character to have high level crafting. If you don't like MMO's, don't get WoW. If you do, then I'm sure you'll like it.

meh

dont get into it.. trust me.. Its so frustrating not being able to play because of "emergency maintenance" on the servers..

Emergency means once in a while out of nowhere, but these kinda things happens almost everyweek more than once

Emret said:
meh

dont get into it.. trust me.. Its so frustrating not being able to play because of "emergency maintenance" on the servers..

Emergency means once in a while out of nowhere, but these kinda things happens almost everyweek more than once

You can always get on a different server.

Not ALL servers are like this

USMC2Hard4U said:

If WoW any different? Usually I pay No attention to MMORPG games anymore for this simple fact of them being all exactly the same with no substance. I know blizzard ALWAYS puts out quality products, but its still a MMORPG...

Any reccommendations? or Thoughts? thanks

I was pretty much like you, never really interested in MMORPGs, but everyone seemed to worship the game, so I took the plunge and bought it. I've got 2 lvl 30s now, and It's just doesn't.... tickle my fancy... The only reason I continue playing is I've put so much time into the game I can't bring myself to quit. Frankly I enjoyed diablo2 more...

Keep in mind this is only my opinion...

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Everyone I know that has the game waste thier lives playing it for 9-10 hours a day....

QFT, some of my firens have quit their jobs to just play the game. we never see them because they are always playing WoW. even when they came to my LAN i had last week, they just wanted to play wow.

I have far too much going on to devote my life to a video game, I was raised quite different. I am a computer geek and have always loved video games but I am a Marine, go to school, and have a girl... so I dont forsee a video game taking up too much time.

Back in the day however I know the addicting feeling. Counterstrike Beta 7.1 and 1.0.... I spent HOURS playing that game. and I owned. But I feel a game like that captures my attention better. I can go in now... kill a bunch of people, and quit whenever a round ends because its not a long drawn out ongoing thing....

So I guess WoW isnt for me.... I like WC, WC2, WC3, Star Craft etc... but this is too much like EQ i guess.. something I hate with a passion

just go buy it you get a month free to play. I for one, love it. But am a little frustrated because I installed that cosmos thing and it's out of date, so I keep getting these errors with some XML folder blah blah. But it's not really game related, haha.

TheCreator said:
just go buy it.

Thanks for Contributing!!!

I also have this dillema, every Game review sight is all "OMG NOOB GO BUY IT!!!" But reviews rarely work for me. For instance, every single review sight LOVES Prince of persia 2, but I cant stand it, the fucking camera is just... GHAA!

Splinter cell also, it was fun and all... but not really engrossing...

Ive been begging friends for there 10 day trial thingamadandy...

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

If you only knew the power of the Darkside [World of Warcraft]

It will consume you.

wfalcon said:
Not sure what game you played, but it wasn't WoW. Hack and slash *click* *click* *click* - I have more health, I win - is a Diablo/Dungeon Seige kind of game, not WoW.

...and you CAN progress to higher craft levels without questing. You'll just have a harder time doing so, and have to be a wheeler/dealer at the AH. I can currently make leather products that my Shaman can't even use yet.
This game is EXACTLY like EQ, DAoC, Galaxies, and FFXI, all of which I've played and can make an educated comparison with. You're acting like Blizzard came up with some brilliant, original game. NO, they did not.

FYI: More health = win on WoW just as much as any other game... or did you not know that the red bar in the top left corner is your HEALTH and when it reaches 0 you die?

You must be level 10 for journeyman crafting, and IIRC 20 for expert, 30 for artisan, etc. Exactly how is that not having to level up for craft skills?

Since you ONLY get experience by killing creatures OR questing (which normally involves killing creatures) then you must *click* *click* *click* *grind* *grind* *grind* if you want to progress in this game... just like all the others. I hear EQ2 is a bit different as far as xp for crafting, but I haven't played that one.

i just quit WoW, here's why.

at 60 it gets rather tedious, all your skills are maxed out, your mount is bought. what then do you have to look forward to? items? sort of, items that are a 1-2 hour investment. then there's still a good chance you might not get them. imagine d2 baal/meph runs except 30 times longer, and you can't do it alone, you HAVE to have a group of 10 or more. what could you do then? make a new char? well i just poured in 20 whole days into this one character (one day = 24 hours) so for me at least, the idea of starting over wasn't that exciting. however, battlegrounds does seem appealing, but those with the super best gear already will most undoubtedly rule for a good while, which means you'll have to go do those hour- 2 hour instances with 10 people in order to maybe get it. now, with a guild this naturally drops considerably in terms of item collection. if you're a guild like auphan or some other top tier, it's not a big deal. i still think it's a great game. and still draws in average joe gamer, but once you hit 60 it's pretty much over.

I'm actually transitioning from a WoW addict to an EQ2 addict. At their core, the gameplay is the same. The combat is actually faster in EQ2...but theres more strategy too it although the leveling system is MUCH slower. Also, you can level your crafting without fighting many monsters (if at all...you could make money just buy crafting, selling, buying ingredients, crafting, selling, etc). WoW is a great action/adventure RPG, but lacks serious depth, IMO. Dont get me wrong, I love the game and its fun, but Blizzard is really dropping the ball on actually adding content...or keeping promises from back in beta (hello life quests? how about hero classes? no? damn...). Look no further than the new honor system to see that they really dont care about game balance. I think the whole honor thing is a scam to get people onto lower population servers...oh well. Like I said, even with my complaints, still a fun and worthwhile game at its core...just nothing really new or outstanding.

HRslammR said:
i just quit WoW, here's why.

imagine d2 baal/meph runs except 30 times longer,

Oh god, Mephesto runs consumed me in Diablo 2...

Like, whenever I was playing, if I wasnt rushing somdeoby, or helping them leach in a cow server, I was using my MF Sorc and mephesto run after mephesto run after mephesto run...

It was worth it, Made some goood money selling that account...

WoW is overrated, all these gamer mags and shows kiss ass too much, WoW is boring, I played for Half an hour with my cousin's Hunter (LV. 42) and all you do is rotate your character around a map striking things, riding animals, do Guild Wars, but I would rather do that if there were a Grand Theft Auto online.
it has good graphics and all, but it gets boring after a while.

Kaiga said:
WoW is overrated, all these gamer mags and shows kiss ass too much, WoW is boring, I played for Half an hour with my cousin's Hunter (LV. 42) and all you do is rotate your character around a map striking things, riding animals, do Guild Wars, but I would rather do that if there were a Grand Theft Auto online.
it has good graphics and all, but it gets boring after a while.

I think that the lure of RPGs is the lveling up aspect (at least for me) and not the actual battling aspect, since you missed out on the leveling up part, thats probably why,,,

I like WoW and EQ2, but i'm starting to get tired of the fantasy mmo genre somewhat. Been getting back to CoH some, especially now that they'll be adding PvP arenas soon. Been trying EvE online also.
Don't get me wrong, i like fantasy games, but after 5-6 straight years of it, it's gotten a little stale no matter what the game. The basic gameplay is the same no matter who makes it imho. May be packaged differently, but still the same.

Emret said:
meh

Quoted for truth. Someone replied that not all servers are like that, which is technically correct. But Blizzard is acting quickly to royally fuck the hell out of ALL of their servers by transferring large numbers of people from high pop servers to the low pop servers.

The recent content patch (actually the only content since december) broke more crap than it fixed, and half the stuff that was supposedly fixed is still broken. Most annoyingly, the raid lockout bug. A bug which splits up your raiding party across two or more instance servers preventing your party from playing together as they should be able to.

I'm pretty pissed off at Blizzard and World of Warcraft currently, as if that werent obvious by my post. I would not recommend the game to *anyone* until the server issues are resolved and the game can at least be played.

welcome to the wonderful world of MMO's. I think the game is great and the pros heavily outweigh the cons. When you play a game like this especially in the early stages you have to expect stuff like this. It just comes with the title. Like if I firefighter went to a burning builder and said "Whoa wait, I have to go in there to put out the fire?"

Scero said:
Quoted for truth. Someone replied that not all servers are like that, which is technically correct. But Blizzard is acting quickly to royally fuck the hell out of ALL of their servers by transferring large numbers of people from high pop servers to the low pop servers.

The recent content patch (actually the only content since december) broke more crap than it fixed, and half the stuff that was supposedly fixed is still broken. Most annoyingly, the raid lockout bug. A bug which splits up your raiding party across two or more instance servers preventing your party from playing together as they should be able to.

I'm pretty pissed off at Blizzard and World of Warcraft currently, as if that werent obvious by my post. I would not recommend the game to *anyone* until the server issues are resolved and the game can at least be played.

-QFE

Servers are down again...

just go here and look at the posts on the first page.. hell even the last few pages...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-general

I will give you some examples
Sign Here For a 1-month Refund

Stuck at Authenticating
blizzard i hate you
Blizz: time to consider *major* changes
How do I bill blizzard?
Have servers ever lasted a day? two? No flame
Is anybody else stuck at "Authenticating" ?
Blizzard.. ur an embarasment...
Time for ANSWER Now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fix your servers
Are we suppoused to play during primetime?

And the lists goes oooooooooooooooooooon and ooooooooooooooooon

The game is simply, fantastic, beautiful and addicting, IF you can play it.. It is a huge frustration not being able to play almost everyday

So my advice is, DO NOT start playing this game. Not untill blizzard gets their shit together and fix whatever is wrong with their servers (Which they havent since the release day more than 4months ago)

If you don't like MMORPGs then odds are you won't like WoW either. Having said that, it's the best MMORPG out there at the moment (in my opinion), and I'm really enjoying it.

I personally dont like MMORPG's but i bought this due to all my friend convincing me to try it and i havent looked back since....prolly the only RPG ill ever play but its got everything. very in depth. definitely <---can remember spelling....worth the buy

I found AC2 to be a very empty world...that being said, if you liked it, you'd love WoW. Same basic overall gameplay (though much faster and involved) with a very lively world.

Overall, I think WoW is a damn fine game. It has it's problems, just like every MMORPG out there. It's not anything worse than we've seen before. Anyone who's played MMORPGs should be used to server issues and content delays. I think all of us MMORPG players are a bit masochistic.

The only thing I really dislike about WoW is the community, I'm amazed all of the kiddies are playing a game with a monthly fee... Thankfully, my guild is a great group of people and we can always keep ourselves entertained killing Horde! :)

Thats one of the things that killed me in WoW...had a guild for a year and a half before release...once the game was released, half the members I liked didn't play and suddenly we had an influx if middle school/early high school Bliz kiddies that just killed it for me...I almost stopped playing at that point...but their was still enough good in the game to keep me around.

Torn said:
Thats one of the things that killed me in WoW...had a guild for a year and a half before release...once the game was released, half the members I liked didn't play and suddenly we had an influx if middle school/early high school Bliz kiddies that just killed it for me...I almost stopped playing at that point...but their was still enough good in the game to keep me around.

*cough*

MMO games are ONLY fun if you get a bunch of friends together, log into a teamspeak or ventrilo server (voice chat for those who never have), and fool around in a big game. So many people get in on an MMO just to solo grind, which is rediculous. They might as well just release single player versions of the game, right?

It's a glorified chat system, so meet people! The game is just there to capture interest in order to bring people together. Isn't that right Blizzard? You didn't just make an addictive Pay to Play game, right? ;)

USMC2Hard4U said:
I am a computer geek and have always loved video games but I am a Marine, go to school, and have a girl...

key word(s) right there is that you have a girl.

most "geeks" (per se) dont have lives and they surely dont have girlfriends so they have to have something to devote their lives to. :p

Torn said:
I'm actually transitioning from a WoW addict to an EQ2 addict. At their core, the gameplay is the same. The combat is actually faster in EQ2...but theres more strategy too it although the leveling system is MUCH slower. Also, you can level your crafting without fighting many monsters (if at all...you could make money just buy crafting, selling, buying ingredients, crafting, selling, etc). WoW is a great action/adventure RPG, but lacks serious depth, IMO. Dont get me wrong, I love the game and its fun, but Blizzard is really dropping the ball on actually adding content...or keeping promises from back in beta (hello life quests? how about hero classes? no? damn...). Look no further than the new honor system to see that they really dont care about game balance. I think the whole honor thing is a scam to get people onto lower population servers...oh well. Like I said, even with my complaints, still a fun and worthwhile game at its core...just nothing really new or outstanding.

Some very good points there. I've been playing EQ2 for a couple months, and Sony keeps adding tons of content, making/improving gameplay, etc.

Back