Is worth getting a dual core?from opteron 146

whoareu

n00b
Is worth getting a dual core?
upgrade from opteron 146 which only one month old only! To get cheap dual core like intel 9xx series.

no INTEL booooo

get a 165 opteron and OC it to FX-60 speeds :)

thats what i want but i just bought a 19" widescreen with the money :) I have a 17" now

if you actually use your computer: yes.

people who say no only tend to play games. gaming performance is starting to pick up as more titles go multithreaded or are patched though, like Quake 4 or Oblivion.

Having a dualie now I would never return to a single core.

it the current moment now but within the next 6-12 months dual core will be huge as more games will support it and more applications. Plus when the CPU prices drop for the 939's it will make for a very cheap upgrade.

Adidas4275 said:
no INTEL booooo

get a 165 opteron and OC it to FX-60 speeds :)

thats what i want but i just bought a 19" widescreen with the money :) I have a 17" now
if you get lucky enough to hit FX-60 speeds.

so it is worth to sell my current system(asus mvp board +opt 146 which only one month old) and buy cheap intel dual core. will there be a any big performance different from my opteron 146.??

If you go to an intel dual core, you'll need a new proc, mobo, and ram (DDR2). I would just go with a 165, and OC it to FX-60 speeds. Might take some luck to get that high, but you should get to at least 4800 speeds (2.4)

Maybe even FX-62 Speeds (if there is such a chip...for 939..i dont think so...and if the FX-62 is 2.8GHz) :p

Back