Is Windows 10 20H2 the worst windows yet?

LOL search gives you nothing if you don't remember the exact term to search for.
If you have no idea what you are looking for, why are you looking for it? Also, the search has some flexibility in it, there's no need to be exact.

If you have no idea what you are looking for, why are you looking for it? Also, the search has some flexibility in it, there's no need to be exact.
You might want to rethink that statement. Having no idea of what you're looking for != not remembering the technical term or name of a setting. Especially if you have to deal with 3 different language versions of Windows. I can (or could) navigate from visual memory in a Windows that's written in Arabic despite me not knowing a word of the langugage or understanding even their alphabet. Now if (when) Microsoft decides to make that menu structure go away and instead of place a text link called 'lachlabboutamoon' which leads to another submenu which didn't exist 'ahlambluachambache' it might become rather interesting to locate that power saving setting, networking menu or the likes.

You might want to rethink that statement. Having no idea of what you're looking for != not remembering the technical term or name of a setting. Especially if you have to deal with 3 different language versions of Windows
This goes back to why a specific setting is being looked for. What is a specific setting that is so hard to find?

As for multi-language, places on earth where multi-language Windows tends to slide across a PC tech's desk seem to be handling it. If a desktop tech in a multi-lingual place isn't able to figure it out, well, I dunno, update the résumé. First, this isn't a new problem; I did enough Japanese/Chinese/etc. Windows installs 20 years ago to vouch for that. Second, just as it was handled back then, it can be handled now: Have a [your native language] Windows 10 install over here, see where to click to get where you want to be, replicate on the [language you don't know] device.

(or if you're a desktop tech worth your salt, just change it via registry)

Oh and if you think these problems are unique to Windows... uh... I HAVE AMAZING NEWS FOR U.

Oh yes so subzero thinks that it's ok to mess up the GUI totally because you can always spend hours hunting for the new locations. That's not tne way to do things. Especially when there's no benefit in messing up the GUI. It's done only to dumb down the interface.

You may have been able to do a Chinese install 20 years ago but try that today when you can't know which setting is where and you have multiple layers of menus blocking you from getting where you need to be.

Oh and if you think these problems are not unique to Windows... uh... I HAVE AMAZING NEWS FOR U! The menus on OSX and different linux desktops have remained consistent and same for years. Even on linux where everything has a hundred options. Of course on linux I can just simply change the language on the fly, which Windows can't do. Oh and I'd like to see you edit the registry that's written in Chinese if you don't know the language or their alphabet lol.

Oh yes so subzero thinks that it's ok to mess up the GUI totally because you can always spend hours hunting for the new locations. That's not tne way to do things. Especially when there's no benefit in messing up the GUI. It's done only to dumb down the interface.

You may have been able to do a Chinese install 20 years ago but try that today when you can't know which setting is where and you have multiple layers of menus blocking you from getting where you need to be.

Oh and if you think these problems are not unique to Windows... uh... I HAVE AMAZING NEWS FOR U! The menus on OSX and different linux desktops have remained consistent and same for years. Even on linux where everything has a hundred options. Of course on linux I can just simply change the language on the fly, which Windows can't do. Oh and I'd like to see you edit the registry that's written in Chinese if you don't know the language or their alphabet lol.
Win key+space bar.....profit.

Win key+space bar.....profit.
And what good is that supposed to do to you? It only brings up the search and the recently used apps/settings. Totally useless if you need to find a setting randomly and you remember where it USED TO BE in the menu structure but no longer exists.

And what good is that supposed to do to you? It only brings up the search and the recently used apps/settings. Totally useless if you need to find a setting randomly and you remember where it USED TO BE in the menu structure but no longer exists.
Switches languages on my PC....relavent to your post, yes?

"Mess up" is like, your opinion man. Look if this is all too hard for you, I dunno what to tell you. Out there right now there are IT techs all across whatever country doing whatever it is you seem to think isn't easy to do, and they are doing it easily. Win10 has been out for almost six years, I don't see some apocalypse of IT where desktop techs are crying in a corner because whatever you think seems to be the problem.

Things are still in the same places. Again, Chinese Win10 doesn't have the Start button in another dimension. It's still in the lower left corner.

https://i1.wp.com/windowsloop.com/w...-chinese-to-english-01.jpg?fit=1500,844&ssl=1

A cursory glance at the icons and I think if I asked any Windows 10 user "which one of these do you think is the 'accounts' option?" they'd likely get it right.

I just had to walk a Vietnamese native speaker through getting macOS out of Vietnamese language last night cuz she.. clicked the thing that she thought changed the keyboard to Vietnamese, and instead it rebooted and changed the OS to Vietnamese. According to her, it's "government style Vietnamese" so a common Vietnamese person can't easily read it. It took her 20 seconds to make her OS unusable because Apple doesn't make it it obvious what those options do.

And do not lump every "linux" together when talking about this stuff. That's unwise.

Sorry SubZero but you're just a Windows fanboy who refuses to admit the truth. Millions of frustrated users disagree with you. And your cute little story about MacOS is pure bullshit.
1) The control panel has been unchanged in its basic logic for many years
2) The language settings are clearly separated from the keyboard settings in the GUI.

Sorry SubZero but you're just a Windows fanboy who refuses to admit the truth. Millions of frustrated users disagree with you. And your cute little story about MacOS is pure bullshit.
1) The control panel has been unchanged in its basic logic for many years
2) The language settings are clearly separated from the keyboard settings in the GUI.
I wish I could say otherwise but no, I really went through this last night, including holding up phones and "see I'm clicking this now". She even showed me how she thought the "country flag" changed the country keyboard cuz that sounds obvious, whereas changing the keyboard country is under Keyboard > "Input Sources" and a normal non-technical soccer mom isn't going to know what that means. I learned more about how Hanoi apparently dictates OS text than I ever really wanted to know.

For comparison, in Windows 10, Settings > Time & Language > Language has "Windows display" and "Keyboard" there are two distinct things in the same intuitive place.

I wish I could say otherwise but no, I really went through this last night, including holding up phones and "see I'm clicking this now". She even showed me how she thought the "country flag" changed the country keyboard cuz that sounds obvious, whereas changing the keyboard country is under Keyboard > "Input Sources" and a normal non-technical soccer mom isn't going to know what that means. I learned more about how Hanoi apparently dictates OS text than I ever really wanted to know.

For comparison, in Windows 10, Settings > Time & Language > Language has "Windows display" and "Keyboard" there are two distinct things in the same intuitive place.
Except the OSX settings panel has an entirely own section for 'keyboard' under which the keyboard language/layout can be changed. Your friend just made a mistake and that's that.

On YOUR pc. Typical 'works for me'. Try that on a windows home. Try that on an enterprise locked pc.
*cracks knuckles*

So you are saying that if a Win10 Home user, with more than one keyboard language, presses Win+Space, it will do something other than change the keyboard input?

*cracks knuckles*

So you are saying that if a Win10 Home user, with more than one keyboard language, presses Win+Space, it will do something other than change the keyboard input?
Windows Home does not support Windows language versions. I hear cracking but they're not from the direction of your knuckles.

Windows Home does not support Windows language versions. I hear cracking but they're not from the direction of your knuckles.
win10multi.png

If you want to see me change this (Korean) laptop to Korean language, you gotta promise to ask the forum mods to ban your account for three months after I do. That's the deal.

View attachment 339488

If you want to see me change this (Korean) laptop to Korean language, you gotta promise to ask the forum mods to ban your account for three months after I do. That's the deal.
Windows home has a thing called 'windows single language edition' which supports language change only through a total reinstall. Apparently you can tell no difference between changing keyboard layouts and changing the system language lol.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/8120dd84-b34f-4851-bb08-a7753bc97ede?auth=1
Unfortunately you cannot do that on Windows 10 Home. You will have to buy Windows 10 Pro pack to install English Lanuage pack.
And you can ban your own account for all I care, you're displaying prowess in polishing a turd apparently.

Windows home has a thing called 'windows single language edition'
But.. but.. the goal posts were right here... how did they get all the way over there?!

Single Language? That was a unique spin that had a use case in lower-capacity devices since it didn't have the additional language files. I'm not sure it's even sold anymore, the last mention of any ISO is back in 2017, and it looks like it was just rolled into the main ISO after that. In just finding anything about it I kept finding easy ways to install additional languages on it so.. ya know.

Even the Windows 10 Editions Wikipedia page has *no* mention of it, and their features matrix just has "Multiple Language Pack Support" as a green "yes" across every edition.

Just to summarize, Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Home Single Language are two distinctly different things, the latter being a special edge case spin probably for some specific MS customers that wanted a smaller installation for certain markets. We also weren't talking about the latter in this thread.

But.. but.. the goal posts were right here... how did they get all the way over there?!

Single Language? That was a unique spin that had a use case in lower-capacity devices since it didn't have the additional language files. I'm not sure it's even sold anymore, the last mention of any ISO is back in 2017, and it looks like it was just rolled into the main ISO after that. In just finding anything about it I kept finding easy ways to install additional languages on it so.. ya know.

Even the Windows 10 Editions Wikipedia page has *no* mention of it, and their features matrix just has "Multiple Language Pack Support" as a green "yes" across every edition.

Just to summarize, Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Home Single Language are two distinctly different things, the latter being a special edge case spin probably for some specific MS customers that wanted a smaller installation for certain markets. We also weren't talking about the latter in this thread.
Except I was talking all the time about language change as you can do in linux, you invented that it's still possible to change the windows keyboard layout lol.

he'll just keep moving them...
the lowest number of install languages ive seen are on our new dells; eng, french and spanish are the options. never even seen it with a single language.
If you are ignorant it doesn't mean that you're right.

Fact 1: Once you make an install on a home version, you can _not_ switch the language without a total reinstall
Fact 2: In many country versions which are not multilingual, there are only 1 language as an option

You just don't know even one percent of what I know boys and you're making fools of yourselves digging even a deeper hole for yourselves.

If you are ignorant it doesn't mean that you're right.

Fact 1: Once you make an install on a home version, you can _not_ switch the language without a total reinstall
Fact 2: In many country versions which are not multilingual, there are only 1 language as an option

You just don't know even one percent of what I know boys and you're making fools of yourselves digging even a deeper hole for yourselves.
lol i can smell your bullshit from way up here...
your solution for everything is "switch to linux" but then you say you dont use it, that youre on mac. so full of shit.
constant trolling with a big inflated head.

I feel like Windows 10 is still in Beta when you look at the mish-mash of the new user interface and the old user interface. Microsoft still hasn't fully migrated everything. When you look at the Event Viewer you see a ton of Error messages that appear benign to the user. I think Microsoft applies temporary patches to mitigate these errors so they have minimal impact but they are still present and just ignored for the time being.

Except I was talking all the time about language change as you can do in linux, you invented that it's still possible to change the windows keyboard layout lol.
Windows 10 Home will happily let you change the display language, the stuff for the GUI. I already told you I'd happily show you but you gotta promise to ask to be banned from the forums for three months if I do.

Windows 10 Home will happily let you change the display language, the stuff for the GUI. I already told you I'd happily show you but you gotta promise to ask to be banned from the forums for three months if I do.
No it won't, unless you have some special multilingual version of home. This is straight from Microsofts own documentation. Stop the obboxious and condescending behavior because you really don't have what it takes.

No it won't, unless you have some special multilingual version of home. This is straight from Microsofts own documentation. Stop the obboxious and condescending behavior because you really don't have what it takes.
Maybe Microsoft does. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-12a10cb4-8626-9b77-0ccb-5013e0c7c7a2

The only mention of Windows 10 Single Language even says, right there on their site that it can be "upgraded to Home."

If you see Windows 10 Home Single Language next to Edition, you have a single language edition of Window 10, and you can't add a new language unless you purchase an upgrade to either Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro.

win10multi2.png

You're pushing, and I don't know why. You're wrong, multiple people have told you you're wrong, we've shown screenshots, and well, accept it. It's not some mystic trickery or voodoo. It's just Windows 10 Home, which supports multiple display and keyboard languages and has done so since day 1.

You're wrong.

View attachment 339765

You're pushing, and I don't know why. You're wrong, multiple people have told you you're wrong, we've shown screenshots, and well, accept it. It's not some mystic trickery or voodoo. It's just Windows 10 Home, which supports multiple display and keyboard languages and has done so since day 1.

You're wrong.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...anguages-eaf060a6-3642-4612-6b75-b34e57a08abf

Not all versions of Home do. And even if they do, you'd need to download and install a language pack, it's not just a flip of a setting. I placed you on ignore, not worth of my time.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...anguages-eaf060a6-3642-4612-6b75-b34e57a08abf

Not all versions of Home do. And even if they do, you'd need to download and install a language pack, it's not just a flip of a setting. I placed you on ignore, not worth of my time.
The only mention of Windows 10 Single Language even says, right there on their site that it can be "upgraded to Home."
Ignoring me was probably the best course of action since you're down to re-posting stuff I posted already to make my point, trying to make.. your... point?

Stop the obboxious and condescending behavior because you really don't have what it takes.
in the same sentence even....

maybe some versions, in some locations, have a limit. my retail canadian version doesnt seem to.... thats it, just silence the people that call out your crap.

I'm a small business owner that has to do ~70% or more of my own IT work. I have Windows 10 on 8 systems and a server running 2019.

I go all the way back to helping troubleshoot W95 for my dad at his business. Personally there has never been an easier Windows to use for a business, I have zero problems installing or operating (even on 2 legacy systems we've limped along since 2008).

In fact the only W10 problem I have is on my home PC occationally not recognizing keyboard or Mic after startup, a quick unplug/plug sorts it, but its likely a firmware or software update I need to do.

In my limited experience ME was the worst, and I avoided 8 because I hate the tablet look. W10 is better than W7 in everyway but the data mining.

Linux is not an option, I need a system that normies hired off the street can understand and work with them, Linux will never be that system.

in the same sentence even....

maybe some versions, in some locations, have a limit. my retail canadian version doesnt seem to.... thats it, just silence the people that call out your crap.
Works for me (tm). So you must be right. However there are more Home editions than Canadian retail. And yes, I silence people who act condescending and exist only to pick a fight.

Linux is not an option, I need a system that normies hired off the street can understand and work with them, Linux will never be that system.
It seems you haven't tried a linux desktop in the past 10 years. If my 75 year old in-laws and mother can use linux daily, anyone can.

Windows 10 Home Single Language was/is a real SKU. I don't exactly know why they would need this, my assumption is, again, some OEMs wanted Win10 as stripped down as humanly possible, and one solution is to restrict it to one language. It's also possible some mono-linguistic government(s) less friendly to outside languages asked for it, ala K and N, tho that sounds kinda weird. I've never seen it in the wild, and it was a strange card to play given that clearly nobody here has ever seen it.

It seems you haven't tried a linux desktop in the past 10 years. If my 75 year old in-laws and mother can use linux daily, anyone can.

that is not comparable to running an office enviroment, hiring and training, and business software specific to industry(s). Switching to Linux would be such a massive headache and take time away from productive tasks, so No, Linux is not an option regardless of your opinion.

Back