Is water cooling easy to install/set up?

that would be a easy to setup case. I love TT cases, but I would not use thier water cooled systems, just my $0.02.

i wouldn't use their watercooling or their cases.

you can buy better kits and install them yourself or pick out the components individually.

everything can basically be a bolt-on.

Nothing about watercooling is easy.

Picking components properly, creating an elegant install and service/swapping parts are all more difficult than straight air-cooling.

It ain't rocket science, nor is it insurmountably difficult- but you'll be better prepared and have more fun if you know what you're getting into beforehand.

Although the Tai-chi looks like an interesting case, the TT watercooling components are far outclassed by other maunfacturers and it seems almost a given that folks who start with TT stuff are disappointed and end up upgrading sooner rather than later.

The thing about that case is that it costs $400. FOUR HUNDRED.
For that price, you get a Swiftech Storm, D5, BIGT2, and a Maze4 / MCW60 / MP-01, and probably have change to spare.

penguin said:
The thing about that case is that it costs $400. FOUR HUNDRED.
For that price, you get a Swiftech Storm, D5, BIGT2, and a Maze4 / MCW60 / MP-01, and probably have change to spare.

and a nice case!

That's fucking FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS and you get a shitty bigwater.

what can you get for 400 bucks?

Silverstone Temjin 06
Alphacool AP700
Aqua Computer Radbox 3.5
Black Ice X-Flow 3x120
12 feet of Mazzer tubing
Twinplex Pro GPU
Alphacool NexXxos XP Lite
3 Yate Loon D12SL12 fans

That's only 390.

All in 6x8 :)

Bbq said:
Alphacool AP700
Aqua Computer Radbox 3.5
Black Ice X-Flow 3x120
12 feet of Mazzer tubing
Twinplex Pro GPU
Alphacool NexXxos XP Lite
3 Yate Loon D12SL12 fans

vommit.gif

Compared to air cooling, No, it's not easy. It's quite tedious and takes quite some time. Instead of spending $400 on that I would get a Full Tower case and watercooling components individually.

Assuming you have a $400 budget for a new case and water cooling components This is what I suggest:

For a full tower case I recommend:

1. Lian Li PC-7077

2. CM Stacker

3. Thermaltake Armor

For watercooling components I recommend these:

CPU Block: MP-05 Pro

GPU Block: Dangerden Acetal Maze4 or Swiftech MCW60 (remember to get ramsinks for the memory on the video card)

Radiator: Swiftech MCR-220 or Coolingworks Coolrad 22T or a Heatercore (if you have space then get the 3 x 120mm versions)

Pump: Laing D5 (i.e. Danger Den D5 or Swiftech MCP655)

Tubing: About 10 feet of 7/16" ID - 5/8" OD Masterkleer or 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Masterkleer or 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD ClearFlex60

Either buy a reservoir o make a T-line, it's your choice. Avoid acrylic reservoirs (they tend to crack) or anything with aluminum on the inside (try to keep it so the only metal in your water loop is copper to avoid galvanic corrosion).

Remember to get some worm clamps to seal the end of the tubing at every connection you make in your water loop.

If you can afford it, you can substitute the CPU Block for a Swiftech Storm Rev.2 and the Radiator for a Thermochill PA120.2 or PA120.3.

PS. I agree with chris.c on the above post :D

you're gonna get different opinions on what block / rad / pump etc to get. but the general consensus is - don't put down $400 on Thermaltake gear.

personally, for the pump, i'd go with a DDC w/ acrylic top over the D5 but that's just me.

you're gonna get different opinions on what block / rad / pump etc to get.

Unfortunately. If you spend some time researching you will find there is a clear cut "best performer" for every budget. People tend to recommend what they have, not what is the best.

but the general consensus is - don't put down $400 on Thermaltake gear.

I wouldn't buy anything other than a bare case. Can't trust Thermaltake with anything that involves electricity, water, heat exchanging, or moving parts for that matter.

personally, for the pump, i'd go with a DDC w/ acrylic top over the D5 but that's just me.

DDC performs better, produces less heat, and is quieter. So I hope it's not just you ;)

MakubexGB said:
Compared to air cooling, No, it's not easy. It's quite tedious and takes quite some time. Instead of spending $400 on that I would get a Full Tower case and watercooling components individually.

Assuming you have a $400 budget for a new case and water cooling components This is what I suggest:

For a full tower case I recommend:

1. Lian Li PC-7077

2. CM Stacker

3. Thermaltake Armor

I used teh TT Armor and it is HUGE and great for Watercooling. Not to mention tons of pre drilled holes in teh bottom for water pump mountage. Its fantastic. Also it will not fit in the back floorboard of my car like my old Chieftec Dragon would. This case is a BEAST

I just did my FIRST water cooled setup. Overall, I'd say it was easy. It wasn't that hard, but took some time and planning. I did a fair amount of research myself and looked at other people's setups, then I came to my own conclusions. First just make a list of everything you need (or want), then find the best prices. Make sure you already have a case picked out first, because then you will know what parts will fit in it, and in what orientation.

So.. make a list to start out with.
1) pump
2) radiator
3) res or t-line (or both in my case lol)
4) waterblock(s)
5) tubing (make sure you get the correct barbs for everything in this ID size
6) fittings
7) pre-made fluid or dyes
8) other stuff like temp sensors, lighting, quiet fans

For good watercooling cases, there are tons out there. And you don't even have to choose a good watercooling case. Its always a fun challenge to pick something other people think you couldn't watercool. It always surprises me when I see microATX systems inside a shuttle being watercooled. :cool:

But, for a full size case, look towards Lian Li PC and V series full size cases, Gigabyte Aurora, Thermaltake Mozart tx (yes, it just came out on Xoxide :eek: ), Thermaltake Armor, Coolermaster Stacker, Aerocool Masstige, etc. Start by looking at those. =)

Back