Is watch dogs worth 30$ on steam?

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm just cautious given ubisoft's quality issues this past year. Opinions?

I picked it up on sale not too long ago. Finished the main story. I thought it was worth it. Not a single crash or major issue.

30 dollars? Nah. I agree with the guy that said 15 bucks. It's probably not as bug ridden now, but the story is forgettable at best, and the hacking is basically a gimmick. The camera controls are too, really.

The worst part imo, is that melee is more of an event than a melee. You can't just randomly hit people. The cops are pretty relentless though, mostly I think because of the weird stupid scans they can do on you. You'll probably get some fun out of it, but there are better stuff out there.

Ok, I think ill skip it for now and put my money towards GTA V - skipped it on the consoles for the PC version.

I like Watchdogs but not for $30. I'd say < $10 for the base game, or <$15 for a complete version w/ all DLC would be the price point for it IMHO.

I paid $9 when Ubisoft did their Buy one game get one free. I preordered Lara Croft Temple of Osiris for $18 and got Watchdogs base game for free on Uplay a few weeks ago.

Well I went to the store today to get a snickers bar. It was marked down from $10 to $5. I mean it's just a snickers, but the price was so high originally it must be a good deal right? It didn't taste awful but it wasn'tr great either. On the package it said it had peanuts in it but no bueno. Also it was mushed and really not at all what they show you in the commercial. It was still mostly a snickers bar I guess. At least I got it on sale.

Ehhhg... maybe. I paid full price for this and feel pretty stupid about it. It wasn't worth $60, especially considering how broken it was at launch. The technical issues have all been ironed out now though (at least, for me), and the gameplay isn't terrible.

It's not what it was advertised to be prior to launch, and that created a lot of bitterness for early adopters. The reality is that if you forget any preconceived notions about what the game was supposed to be, it was pretty solid. Not outstanding, but not bad either. I don't think I would have been disappointed if I had spend $30 on the game as it exists in its patched state.

Last edited:
A lot of people thought/wanted the game to be something different, and they are angry because of that. Or something. Pretty much the only major flaw with the game is the performance, but assuming you have a high end PC you can achieve good performance through brute force. If you have an i5 and GTX 970 or similar, don't worry about it. There is a mod that helps smooth out performance to.

Pretty much the same thing happened with Far Cry 2. People assumed it was an RPG, or something. Then they complained about the respawning checkpoints (it was sort of annoying). But then they praised Borderlands 1/2, which have the exact same respawning checkpoint problem. I was playing BL2 the other day and not 3 minutes later I backtracked on the map and an enemy outpost had respawned. And it is worse in Borderlands, because the weapons all are utilized the same and the gun play is dull. Add in the over the top screaming, tedious weapon picks ups and whatnot, I am surprised BL/BL2 got the praise they did.

In summary, expect a third person open world shooter with a good bit of driving. Have a decent PC and you'll be fine.

Pretty much the same thing happened with Far Cry 2. People assumed it was an RPG, or something. Then they complained about the respawning checkpoints (it was sort of annoying). But then they praised Borderlands 1/2, which have the exact same respawning checkpoint problem. I was playing BL2 the other day and not 3 minutes later I backtracked on the map and an enemy outpost had respawned. And it is worse in Borderlands, because the weapons all are utilized the same and the gun play is dull. Add in the over the top screaming, tedious weapon picks ups and whatnot, I am surprised BL/BL2 got the praise they did.

This bothered me in both of these games. Obviously enemies need to respawn in open world titles or you'll end up with nothing to shoot at, but I wish they gave it more time. If I clear and area out and then everyone else is back five minutes later, what was the point? I'd rather see them clear for an hour or so... reward me for being thorough and killing everyone.

It's a pretty fun game if you have nothing else to play at the moment. But not worth even close to 30$. I've never played any of the DLCs but the main game is enjoyable enough. Even if you really wanted to play it now, you should probably still wait til it's below 10$ as the game is pretty short and you won't get your money's worth for 30$

Good sandbox game in its present form. Hacking is fun. I don't have a problem recommending it at $30.

An even better game along these lines to play if you haven't yet is Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition.

It depends I bought this game for $60 and I got the season pass for the XB1. I thought it was worth it, but I also really like open world games. Its no where near the level of GTA 5, but its still a good game.

Well I went to the store today to get a snickers bar. It was marked down from $10 to $5. I mean it's just a snickers, but the price was so high originally it must be a good deal right? It didn't taste awful but it wasn'tr great either. On the package it said it had peanuts in it but no bueno. Also it was mushed and really not at all what they show you in the commercial. It was still mostly a snickers bar I guess. At least I got it on sale.

Where the fuck do you buy such expensive snickers? :)

This bothered me in both of these games. Obviously enemies need to respawn in open world titles or you'll end up with nothing to shoot at, but I wish they gave it more time. If I clear and area out and then everyone else is back five minutes later, what was the point? I'd rather see them clear for an hour or so... reward me for being thorough and killing everyone.

Agreed. Though at least with Far Cry 2 the weapon mechanics were fun. Burning people out, using mortars + marking rounds to see where they would land, or back blast fires. What makes things worse for BL2 is that you can not quick save; it is all checkpoint/fixed location based. Absolutely horrible for an open world game, especially if you can't sit down for many hours at a time. This is my main reason for not finishing it. I will have to wait until I can sit down for a weekend otherwise I am constantly backtracking.

According to a sophisticated algorithm using Monte Carlo simulations, Watch Dog currently worth $11.74.

I assume this was supposed to be funny... or something ?

Back