Is VR even worth it?

I’m torn between a rift s or going all out for the valve index.
I say Rift S, with one major caveat...

If, like me, the games you care to play are flight simulators, where you need to read and interact with the virtual cockpit, you already have a 2080 Ti and plenty more cash to burn, then get the Index. The Vive Pro was the best on the market when I bought mine back in April. If the Index were an option then, I'd have gotten that instead.

I own a Vive Pro and I've used the Rift S some. I can't imagine the Index being that much different from the Vive Pro, beyond the obviously better controllers. My experience with the Rift S is that it gets you 85% of the way there at 1/3 the cost. If the games you intend to play are of the Robo Recall/Space Pirate Trainer/Hot Dogs Horseshoes Hand Grenades silly shooter genre, which seems to be about 75% of the games available, then you likely won't notice the difference. I didn't, anyway.

I personally find the refresh rate of the Index to be the single most significant improvement, versus previous headsets. If you're the sort with a strong preference for high refresh rates, I strongly recommend the Index (90/120/144 Hz) over the Rift S (80 Hz).

I say Rift S, with one major caveat...

If, like me, the games you care to play are flight simulators, where you need to read and interact with the virtual cockpit, you already have a 2080 Ti and plenty more cash to burn, then get the Index. The Vive Pro was the best on the market when I bought mine back in April. If the Index were an option then, I'd have gotten that instead.

I own a Vive Pro and I've used the Rift S some. I can't imagine the Index being that much different from the Vive Pro, beyond the obviously better controllers. My experience with the Rift S is that it gets you 85% of the way there at 1/3 the cost. If the games you intend to play are of the Robo Recall/Space Pirate Trainer/Hot Dogs Horseshoes Hand Grenades silly shooter genre, which seems to be about 75% of the games available, then you likely won't notice the difference. I didn't, anyway.
Thanks folks.

Ya it's mostly a novelty thing. I enjoyed 3D paint on my friend's vive a couple years ago.

I also want to play hl:alyx, but for serious shooters I'll always want to use my monitor.

I watched a bunch of stuff about the pimax 5k and pimax 8k x. PCMrace of VR stuff is very expensive though. Spending $800 - $1000 - $1200 on a headset plus add the cost of controllers and lighthouse~base station, more if you want more lighthouses and even more if you want more motion capture emitter units and straps for your waistbelt, elbows, knees, and feet. That adds up to a lot. In the future there will probably be more consumer friendly haptic gloves and vests, legs, etc too which will be more to spend on.

For an entry into VR - I went with a oculus quest which can link to a pc or standalone on a phone processor as a "nintendo switch of vr" untethered. It doesn't require any lighthouses or anything which has it's pros and cons. It was around $350 on sale over the holidays but it's recommended you spend up to $100 on quality of life improvements, plus a usb3.0 ext cable and a usb 3.0 to usb c cable to link it with (or the oculus link cable which costs a bit more). It's 75hz , supposedly capable of more linked from a pc hardware wise but they haven't enabled that by default as far as I know.

https://www.windowscentral.com/oculus-rift-s-vs-oculus-quest

oculus S
=============

Pros
  • Access to existing Rift CV1 titles
  • No jump in recommended PC specs
  • Higher refresh rate
  • Five Insight sensors
  • Updated Touch controllers
Cons
  • No manual IPD adjustment
  • Lower-res LCD display
  • PC is required

Oculus Quest
=============

Pros
  • No tether back to a PC
  • High-res, dual OLED displays
  • Physical IPD adjustments
  • Updated Touch controllers
Cons
  • Lower refresh rate <<<< (potentially higher as it's capable hardware wise when linked)
  • Doesn't use the existing Rift library (yet, Oculus Link is in beta) <----- it does now, I have mine linked.. can use steam library and oculus libraries
  • One less Insight sensor

At your own risk, I haven't tried this yet.. but according to the author referencing these settings modifications you can just switch back and forth no problem:
DISCLAIMER: this functionality is intended for advanced users. However, there should be no risk to your Quest or performance as you can simply set any changes back to default if something goes wrong.
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/

The default output resolution of Oculus Link is lower than when using a Rift S, which gives the image a less sharp, softer appearance. But the latest Rift software Public Test Channel (Facebook’s name for the Beta testing channel) build allows for advanced users to change the resolution, and Facebook Graphics Coder Volga Aksoy posted a guide as to how to do this.

Oculus Warnings
Aksoy provided the following warnings for tweaking the settings too high:

• Higher “Pixel Density” can cause dropped VR app frames and will vary based on the performance characteristics of the VR app.

• Higher “Encoder Resolution” can lead to dropped compositor frames as well as visible tearing.

• Higher resolutions in general can also lead to higher latency.

• Unnecessarily high resolutions (especially “Encode Resolution”) can lead to aliasing artifacts (i.e. pixel crawling) on high frequency details.

Last edited:
They all have their plusses and minuses, but if you can only get one, get the Quest (imo). It can do everything well, including the best standalone by far and has the largest selection of games that work natively. You have access to Quest specific, Go, Oculus Rift and SteamVR games without any controller mapping issues. It has great tracking, good image quality and is comfortable and can be used anywhere with little to no setup.

Reactions: noko
like this
Currently my VR space is cluttered while remodeling with odds and ends making VR not accessible. The VR environment is much larger than a typical computer desk unless all you do is sit VR but who wants to do that? Having a dedicated unobstructed, not needing to move stuff around, system ready as soon as you turn it on makes VR much more usable. Plus if you constantly get uncomfortable every time you put on the VR headset, it will be a matter of time before your brain just says NO! I say you have to make sure you are actually enjoying the experience which makes game purchases much harder -> who wants to spend bucks on a game then find out after several hours that was a big mistake and it is too late to get your money back? Steam should allow more leeway with VR titles because they take some time to realize heck this is not working. I still think it is very early yet for VR with some growing pains.

The Quest is fantastic for the little time I had with my friends, hard to tell if long term I would enjoy it the same. Just the ready, almost anywhere system, makes a good impression for VR. Of course I wished it was super hi res, lighter . . . etc. If I ever get my room back or other space, the knuckles would be my next purchase in VR.

Last edited:
They all have their plusses and minuses, but if you can only get one, get the Quest (imo). It can do everything well, including the best standalone by far and has the largest selection of games that work natively. You have access to Quest specific, Go, Oculus Rift and SteamVR games without any controller mapping issues. It has great tracking, good image quality and is comfortable and can be used anywhere with little to no setup.
Good to know. For some reason I thought the quest was limited to games that could fit in it's memory.

Whatever I get needs the knuckle controllers though for sure.

Re glasses.. Friend came over and his glasses scratched one of my lenses. =\
Good to know it happened that way, not the other way round. Glasses are kind of much more expensive. Like 1500$. :(

In my opinion VR it's just a toy, something you use because it's new and interesting but after a few uses it gets boring. For gaming it only works in long term with sim games (mostly driving sims) and arcade games occasionally.

Good to know. For some reason I thought the quest was limited to games that could fit in it's memory.
For Rift/Steam library on Quest you'll need to tether to a higher-end PC.
Whatever I get needs the knuckle controllers though for sure.
Why? I've heard from some people they still prefer Oculus controllers, and while the additional features of Knuckles sound good on paper there isn't much proof yet it's worth the extra money. I kinda doubt Alyx will convert a ton of people over to it. I hope so, of course, and if you know or heard something I haven't (other than you just want it), let us know...

I have read multiple reports like this:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...h-vs-index-controllers-and-why-i-prefer-touch

For Rift/Steam library on Quest you'll need to tether to a higher-end PC.
Why? I've heard from some people they still prefer Oculus controllers, and while the additional features of Knuckles sound good on paper there isn't much proof yet it's worth the extra money. I kinda doubt Alyx will convert a ton of people over to it. I hope so, of course, and if you know or heard something I haven't (other than you just want it), let us know...

I have read multiple reports like this:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...h-vs-index-controllers-and-why-i-prefer-touch
Sorry I misspoke. I thought knuckle controller just meant the separate wand type thing in each hand.

ah yea, also worth noting Quest has a controller-free hand tracking solution you can test out and use in a few apps. Not sure if any other popular HMD has this yet. I've used it breifly and it works alright, not as smooth as Minority Report (he was using a controller, so kinda unfair comparison) the swiping and pinching for getting around seemed to work in the main menu and bigscreen TV (?) or whatever little app it was I tried it in...

https://uploadvr.com/quest-apps-hand-tracking/

thanks for the link.. Linus as always pretends his hands don't work and gives up on doing things immediately like a kid frustrated with trying to do something that takes patience. He acts as if he's an apple user and not a get your hands dirty pc builder and tweaker - but it was still interesting to watch. I'm sure there was some validity to what he was saying but I'd also like to know if his controllers were on full charge since they are known to be less reliable if they aren't. He also had a bunch of other software running on his pc that could potentially interfere with the pipeline. In general recording on the same pc as you are playing can induce performance hits as well. In the hand tracking he seemed to have forgotten he has more than one hand so never passed a puzzle piece off to the other hand either. I haven't bothered testing the hand tracking yet and I'm not really interested in it so that is a non issue to me.

I'll have to do some testing for myself of the mild controller lag ~interpolation feeling issue he mentioned when using Quest Linked to a pc vs stand alone quest games. Perhaps there is a lot of interpolation going on that we aren't aware of. The developer tools can show a frame rate readout but if the quest link is already interpolated by the time it gets there it wouldn't show. There could also be some kind of time warp guess work and interpolation going on or lower polling rate for just the motion of the controllers when linked to the pc. I think I can install vader immortal off of the oculus pc app as well as the local headset standalone for free. If I can I'll test it with the light saber training. If the latency exists perhaps they will address it in a future update since oculus Link is still in beta. I am guessing it would be because there are no controller receivers on the pc and only on the headset and while the headset motion becomes wired with link, the controllers do not. Perhaps they could find a way to optionally have the controllers picked up by the pc directly with a dongle or via bluetooth even if it had to be a BT transmitter/receiver on the end of a usb3.0 extension to be close enough to the controllers.

lol, the part where he's twisting his body trying to manipulate that tetris block... I did the same thing, it's just something of a disconnect with your brain where it kinda believes things are real and you should be able to manipulate it without issue, so it goes into a straining reflex manuever here in an attempt to compensate... of course, after a minute you get used to it. you just might have a few unusual back pains the next day

I wonder if using a bluetooth or usb connected controller via the pc for the game you are playing on the quest would be tighter. That would show that the "jello" control he was talking about was due to the controller polling or pipeline to the pc from the quest over the link rather than any interpolation of the video signal making things feel "spooky" like interpolation can do for video. The former sounds like it would be easier to fix than the latter even if it ended up requiring a BT transmitter/receiver dongle from the pc that the quest controller could link to more directly. I'd be fine with that if they made that kind of functionality available.

I won't get a chance to try vader immortal's lightsaber training over quest link and directly on the oculus hardware unlinked until tomorrow or later unfortunately. I have some other shooting games on steam like "Guns 'n Stories: Bulletproof" that I haven't tried yet over the link and I'm probably going to pick up "Shooting Range" from the oculus store for the quest standalone since it's on sale. I should be able to notice if there is a slight delay between the two like linus was experiencing since they are quick shooting games.

For those still considering getting into VR, the Samsung Odyssey+ is back on sale for $229 (use cashback websites for an additional 8% off). Probably the best bang for the buck you can get right now in my opinion. I think VR is worth it at that price.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...-windows-mixed-reality-headset-xe800zba-hc1us

Does this one work with anything outside its own ecosystem?

Separate question do any of them work with MMO/RPG games including ESO, City of Heroes, WOW, etc? Though COH I think would be hard with a controller vs keyboard.

Can the headsets simulate very big screen monitors for arpg's like Path of Exile?

Can you watch movies/streams like Netflix/amazon/dc/etc? In 3d?

Thank you,

-EB

I think a lot of the headsets are probably "worth it" depending on your budget and how much you like it. Just like you can get a $250 1080p freesync monitor or you can get a $1000 4k FALD HDR g-sync monitor, or a big $1200 OLED.

I know you can run "pancake" games almost like a projection screen using virtual desktop and similar so I don't know why you wouldn't be able to run a widescreen resolution on what appears like a 100" screen on path of exile if that's what you meant, even if it had to be in windowed mode. I can't confirm since I haven't messed with flat games in VR via virtual desktop apps yet. You can also play regular PC games via virtual destkop type apps seated and with keyboard and mouse or any other controller connected to the pc so you wouldn't have to use the VR controllers. However - I'd guess that you would benefit a lot more from having a more expensive very high resolution headset for PC rpg style games that have a lot of text and stat sheets like WoW and PoE. You are virtually sitting in front of a huge screen relatively close so the pixels are relatively huge so low ppi and a SDE "mesh". Console games tend to have larger text due to varied TV resolutions and distances and games made for VR have larger text to suit the lower resolution headsets and to look better with the levels of screen door effect on most VR headsets. That would be another thing that sets a more expensive headset "VR gaming monitor" apart from a cheaper one.

I have watched youtube and netflix regular flat videos and even youtube "VR" movies on my headset. There are only a few really good youtube ones I found. I find 3d movies are some of the coolest though, streamed from my pc. They do have screen door effect (SDE), worse looking in some scenes than others but still pretty neat to watch more FX based movies. You can definitely watch movies on it but it will look sort of pixelated and meshed at the finer details and farther away camera positions, backgrounds , etc as compared to closeups or smaller scenes where the actors faces are larger. That is one thing that I would love to have a pimax 8k for. The resolution and screen door effect of cheaper headsets is inadequate for full HD or 4k movie fidelity and it is inadequate for finer small PC desktop and PC game text and interfaces.

I only own a oculus quest for now which was about $350 over the holidays (plus some quality of life accessories up to $100 more)... that is still well worth it at the price of a console system and a few peripherals. Considering the advancements VR hardware is projected to make in the next 2 yrs and the growing pains the pimax kits are having I'm probably going to hold off on dropping PC gaming money into a more expensive VR headset this year. I'll see how it goes but the Quest is good enough for now. The stand alone untethered game play is great along with the fact that some oculus store bought titles are "cross buy" - meaning you get the tethered higher graphics and performance capable PC version for tethered play as well as the standalone untethered "switch of VR" version of the game. You can play steam VR games via the linked cable too.

Last edited:
In terms of screen door effect, the Odyssey+ is one of the best in the lower price category. It has the same resolution as the Index but uses a light diffusion layer to spread the light a bit from each pixel (since OLED pixels have bigger gaps than LCD). I barely notice the effect at all and I've used a number of devices now including a Lenovo explorer, Oculus go, Rift, and Vive. What this means is you get the deepest blacks and richest colors currently available (Samsung make damned good OLEDs) but you sacrifice a bit of text clarity compared with the Index. Thus, I'd say that the Odyssey+ does better at movies, action adventure, or racing content compared with any other VR headset in terms of visual quality due to the OLED. However, the sweet spot for text is limited to the center of the screen unlike the Index which has a much larger text clarity sweet spot from what I read online. That said, with the Index you are paying almost 5 times as much (typically $228 vs $1085 after tax and cashback websites).

I read up on it.. It sounds very interesting. Some people like it some don't. It's not adding any information it's sort of like running a lower non native resolution or a soften blur filter. It's making the same pixel smeared/soften blurred across the SDE "grid" black line mesh so you don't see the lines. Kind of like running massive anti aliasing on a 640x480 desktop monitor or a 480p video. So it sounds like running a lower non native resolution ~> "muddy" as no detail is being added. That could be better in some game's cases or to some people's tastes. A large step up to a very high rez headset for movies and especially "text interface heavy" pc rpg games and pc VR remote desktop use's text would be better since the actual grid and pixels would be shrunk and text detail added - but you are right it would cost a lot more money, magnitudes. $800 - $1200 or up to $1800 depending which 5k to 8k kit you'd get packaged with the motion capture stations and controllers, at least for this generation. (Plus as compared to the quest, always tethered).

Mixed opinions, YMMV:

Screen: I never thought I'd say this. Touted by virtually everyone as an improvement it turned out the be a detriment in my case. True, the SDE is greatly reduced, almost gone altogether. But the side effect of this is a softening of the image of sorts, best I can describe it is very similar to having your monitor set to a non-native resolution. It's not blurry, just soft looking. In comparison, the OG Odyssey image is very crisp and sharp, something the + simply cannot replicate. If you can't stand your monitor running at non-native resolution, this will bother you to no end.

Last edited:
I watched these two path of exile VR videos using youtubeVR on the quest:

When zoomed out far overhead I found your character's central health bar way overhead in the middle of the screen very distracting so I'd definitely have to turn that off. All of the dropped item labels and health bars stay at "surface level" of the OSD while the main game is sunken down below. It's cool looking but hen zoomed in closer to 3rd person than isometric it looked a lot better SDE wise to me. Both suffered bad screen door but I think he was on the Rift. I'm not sure how it would look on other headsets but I don't think I would play with this level of messy mesh look personally. However it does give an idea of what these games could look like in VR or perhaps on a much higher resolution VR headset. It looks like it would be very good to me, especially if they started to add flying opponents and abilities to bring in a Z axis in some future VR ARPG - at least in high ceiling and outdoor areas where it would make sense (kind of like WoW).

I also saw a link to some Grim Dawn VR gameplay which is a game I like more than path of exile personally. My main gripe with most of arpgs is that at higher levels you end up running around like you are blasting a napalm flamethrower and grenade launcher onto a fireworks factory. I find that it gets goofy after that point but that's my own taste.

They used TriDef 3D ignition and turned on half SBS 3D mode in virtual desktop for grim dawn on the rift a few years ago. You can instead use the "Bigscreen" VR app or can probably use gamewarp or other methods now too.

What I've found is if you add sharpening to the odyssey+, you gain back any lost clarity and still get the benefit of no sde. You have to crank AA higher to get rid of aliasing, but that's worth it to me. Image quality overall is excellent.

Yeah, the O+ is the best bang for the buck in terms of visual quality-- just excellent overall.

I've been thinking about a Quest in addition to the O+ but the slightly lower resolution, the 72Hz refresh rate, and the compression/latency on PC tethering lead me to be skeptical. Bobzdar, I notice you have an O+ ,quest, and an HP. Any thought about the comparison of visual quality? Do you end up using the quest at home or is it strictly a portable device for on the go? I currently use a Daydream VR for watching movies on the plane. A quest 2 with ability to run as a Displayport external monitor so we get true PC VR rather than streaming compressed video over USB C would be ideal... I know Oculus had considered it but decided against it when originally making the quest.

I have been thinking about VR recently as my Doctor recommended it as "pain relief" & I followed it up by reading an article in I believe it was "Scientific American" this month about its use in reducing pain for patients undergoing surgery or those that suffer with severe chronic pain that opiates such as oxycodone or fentanyl do not touch (basically the pain I suffer from daily with Multiple Sclerosis). VR is one thing I do not know much about other than it requires a lot of processing power & a headset! I suppose my question is if the machine in my signature would be powerful enough to run VR comfortably & which headset would people recommend? The RTX2070 has a USB Type C port on it as well which I gather is used for this purpose?

I have been thinking about VR recently as my Doctor recommended it as "pain relief" & I followed it up by reading an article in I believe it was "Scientific American" this month about its use in reducing pain for patients undergoing surgery or those that suffer with severe chronic pain that opiates such as oxycodone or fentanyl do not touch (basically the pain I suffer from daily with Multiple Sclerosis). VR is one thing I do not know much about other than it requires a lot of processing power & a headset! I suppose my question is if the machine in my signature would be powerful enough to run VR comfortably & which headset would people recommend? The RTX2070 has a USB Type C port on it as well which I gather is used for this purpose?

The machine in your signature is fine for VR. No worries there. Better GPU would of course be better, but wait until the next generation of cards are out. The headset you pick depends on your budget. Of course if it really works as pain relief for your MS, then who cares about the cost, just get the best headset out there.

Thats the issue, I have no budget for a headset as unable to work because of health

Ok, I guess you are going to have to choose between the Quest, the Rift S and the Samsung Odyssey+. The Samsung Odyssey + at $249 right now is probably your best bet.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/28/samsung-discounts-its-steamvr-compatible-headset-to-230/ Samsung Odyssey+ price drop to $230 for anyone interested in that headset.

One of its downsides of the Odyssey range in general, as mentioned in our review of its predecessor (which scored 85 points) is how much it costs. That's considering the Rift S normally retails for $400 and is a slightly stronger VR headset overall. However, this redemptive 54 percent discount makes it a very affordable way to get involved in VR ahead of Half-Life: Alyx.

They might be working on a new headset but that one would come at new headset pricing whenever it comes out:

Last edited:

Your system would be fine. You may struggle to run the heaviest games without reprojection if you get one of the fancy new ones like the Vive Pro and Index, but for most games, that should be more than enough. If budget is an issue, consider a used Oculus Rift. I could hardly even give mine away a few months ago. If I'd seen your post back then, I'd probably have just given it to you for the cost of shipping.

I'm curious how VR is used for treating MS, though. Is it just like, it gets you to move around, or is there more to it?

Reactions: elvn
like this
Might try this out later on today:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-resolution-increase-odt/

It would be nice if they would have settings for that in the actual quest interface so you could increase the resolution only when linked or on a per game basis or with a simple targeted toggle button or sliders. At least I can adjust it though. I'll have to check out grim dawn VR again with higher rez to see if it looks a lot better or not. I'm sure fine text rpgs with placards full of stats and item names, abilities, etc and actual remote desktop use outside of gaming alone would look way better on a pimax 8k but that's $$$$. That's why VR games are usually made with slightly jumbo console interfaces and text for the most part.

-------------------------------------

I'm no expert on conditions and disabilities but I think VR and especially AR as well as exo-skeleton / exo-frame robotics sound very promising for people with ailments and conditions, including those just from degeneration in old age which affects most of us eventually.

Certain movement and rehab programs can probably benefit a lot from VR and AR, just making exercise less of a chore to do with some game goals to concentrate on. There are sit down controller options around too, some that use foot control, or linked to a pc you can use regular game controllers or other usb peripherals.

Your system would be fine. You may struggle to run the heaviest games without reprojection if you get one of the fancy new ones like the Vive Pro and Index, but for most games, that should be more than enough. If budget is an issue, consider a used Oculus Rift. I could hardly even give mine away a few months ago. If I'd seen your post back then, I'd probably have just given it to you for the cost of shipping.

I'm curious how VR is used for treating MS, though. Is it just like, it gets you to move around, or is there more to it?

Apparently it relaxes the body and causes natural endorphines to relieve the pain. The article showed that it was as effective as most mid-high end painkillers for pain relief. The test was that a tropical scuba simulation was played & you could move around either by using your arms in a swimming motion or just sit and turn your head to view the various fish etc that came to investigate you. Similar situations were used whilst performing operations under local anaesthetic instead of a general anaesthetic. It sounds to me like it is there to take your mind off of the pain hence lowering the amount the body feels (similar to meditation etc but not as boring!)

https://www.medicaldevice-network.com/features/virtual-reality-pain-relief-2019/ explains most of it (trying to find the actual magazine article but the mag is in the wife's salon at the moment!)

Last edited:
Does this one work with anything outside its own ecosystem?
WMR has a Steam component so it can play -many- SteamVR games. Note that some games favor specific VR kits, and WMR is sometimes awkward even if it works (they are not alone).

Separate question do any of them work with MMO/RPG games including ESO, City of Heroes, WOW, etc? Though COH I think would be hard with a controller vs keyboard.
Titles have to be specifically designed for VR.

Can the headsets simulate very big screen monitors for arpg's like Path of Exile?
Part of the inherent nature of VR is you're floating at the epicenter of a monitor that goes into infinity in all directions.

you watch movies/streams like Netflix/amazon/dc/etc? In 3d?
Titles have to be specifically designed for VR. That said, it's quite possible to watch a movie in a VR environment, having it projected. A VR "house" for example could have a movie wall for instance.

WMR has a Steam component so it can play -many- SteamVR games. Note that some games favor specific VR kits, and WMR is sometimes awkward even if it works (they are not alone).

Titles have to be specifically designed for VR.

Part of the inherent nature of VR is you're floating at the epicenter of a monitor that goes into infinity in all directions.

Titles have to be specifically designed for VR. That said, it's quite possible to watch a movie in a VR environment, having it projected. A VR "house" for example could have a movie wall for instance.
Titles do not have to be made for VR. You can use VorpX to play games like Bioshock, which was really fun.

https://www.vorpx.com/

On
Yeah, the O+ is the best bang for the buck in terms of visual quality-- just excellent overall.

I've been thinking about a Quest in addition to the O+ but the slightly lower resolution, the 72Hz refresh rate, and the compression/latency on PC tethering lead me to be skeptical. Bobzdar, I notice you have an O+ ,quest, and an HP. Any thought about the comparison of visual quality? Do you end up using the quest at home or is it strictly a portable device for on the go? I currently use a Daydream VR for watching movies on the plane. A quest 2 with ability to run as a Displayport external monitor so we get true PC VR rather than streaming compressed video over USB C would be ideal... I know Oculus had considered it but decided against it when originally making the quest.

I use the quest for oculus games (rather than revive with the O+) and native quest games at home. The 72hz doesn't bother me, but the O+ is a little better image quality wise, so it's still my go to on my main rig. The quest certainly isn't bad, but the anti sde and wider fov make the o+ a little better. The tracking differences aren't enough to use the quest over the O+ in any games I play. My preference for getting a game is native quest, then steam vr, then oculus store (basically only oculus exclusives). If the game is on steam I use the O+ 90% of the time, which most of my favorites are, so I'd say my use is 80% O+, 20% quest. Rest of the family is 100% quest.

On

I use the quest for oculus games (rather than revive with the O+) and native quest games at home. The 72hz doesn't bother me, but the O+ is a little better image quality wise, so it's still my go to on my main rig. The quest certainly isn't bad, but the anti sde and wider fov make the o+ a little better. The tracking differences aren't enough to use the quest over the O+ in any games I play. My preference for getting a game is native quest, then steam vr, then oculus store (basically only oculus exclusives). If the game is on steam I use the O+ 90% of the time, which most of my favorites are, so I'd say my use is 80% O+, 20% quest. Rest of the family is 100% quest.

Thanks thats helpful. I think I'll wait for a quest 2 with native PC support then. O+ and daydream works well enough for me at moment. Would be nice to have one device to do it all though with more portable capability than the daydream.

I don't disagree one bit with that. It's great, but as an individual making the decision you really need to validate that is what you intend to use it for and are you going to get your money out of it. For me, it's just not there yet. I do enjoy VR, but for every day use, gaming, videos, workouts, etc, it's just not there yet. I personally feel it is still in the gimmicky phase. It's a step to a whole new evolution of entertainment imo, and it's not quite there yet for a day to day staple.

Add having a personal movie theater to the list, provided you get a device high enough resolution/low enough SDE. This alone makes VR fricking awesome. Bigscreen is one of the best VR apps ever created and it is free.

$350 to $500 for a Quest, or $230 for a Odyssey+ on sale is console gaming prices so in my opinion well worth it for what you are getting currently. In fact I find the 8k x headsets very tempting for much better bigscreen movie and remote desktop text use, and isometric game text etc but I'm the type to pick my battles before dropping $1500 - $2000 on hardware (in this case a high end VR kit with accessories). The next iteration of VR headsets should have a lot of competition and higher resolutions, even if I have to wait a 1 - 2 years. So sure if you want to wait that long for a PCMR kit but there are very affordable console priced ones that are a hell of a lot of fun and a wild experience for now, as well as some VR games that are a great workout if you include fitness in your lifestyle at all or want to start to.

Last edited:
Back