Is using RAM slots 2 and 4 the same as 1 and 3??

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

As in the thread title, if i was too install 2 x 2gb sticks in the 2 and 4 slots on my motherboard would the results be the same as if i used 1 and 3.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6. Memory slots 1 and 3 are Yellow and 2 and 4 are red. In the manual it says it can handle dual channel in both sets. Just want to know incase i cant use 1 and 3 (broken DIMM slot). Im running tests at the moment...

Cheers.

I came across this line in page 21 in the manual of Intel DG965WH board for a PC I built sometime ago.

NOTE
Memory must be installed in the Channel A, DIMM 0 socket to enable Intel(R) Quiet System Technology.

Linky:
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/sb/d4207803_en.pdf
Scroll down to page 21.

I think it's some sort of fan speed control first introduced in P965 chipsets. a quick search showed P45 chipsets do have it as well. I don't know if non-intel boards have it , as I haven't seen Gigabyte's manuals mention anything like it. But like colinstu said, i doubt you'd see any difference, if at all.

Cheers,

Of course if the no'3 DIMM slot is knackered then a new mobo would be the best idea i guess. Running Memtest86+ on the sticks now.

I just booted it up and it started Memtest automatically, seems to be looping itself...is this the 'standard' fault finding test?

Yes, and in your case, unless you suspect bad memory, 1 full pass should be enough. If you suspect the memory , do 3-5 passes.

Also, if you never plan to run 4 modules, then there's no need to replace the board until you upgrade. But, if the slot is covered under warranty, it is a good idea to replace it while it is still covered.

Right well ive left the 'good' stick (the one which hasnt caused crashes) running in Memtest standard for around 5 hours so far today. I'll find out how many passes its completed when i get home, but it finished 1 pass (took 28mins) without any errors.

Will test the second stick tonight or over nyt, then do both together...;)

I think I have a faulty number 3 slot on my IP35 Pro as I can not get my computer to boot using that slot so I am using slots 2 and 4 for my dual channel setup.

I've already sent this board back TWICE to ncix.com and got the same board back twice so I don't feel like sending it back a 3rd time.

Ok im at a loss at the moment. Any help or suggestions welcome....heres what ive tried using Memtest86+ v2.01.

1 - Stick A(thought to be good) in Slot 1, 10 passes, 0 errors
2 - Stick B(thought to be dodgy) in Slot 1, 10 passes, 0 errors
3 - Stick B in Slot 1, Stick A in Slot 3, Memtest would not run and crashed just as loading.
4 - Stick B in Slot 2, Stick A in Slot 4, 2 passes, 1071 errors (i kid you not!!!:eek:)

Currently running Stick B in Slot 2 on its own and it seems fine (1 pass, 0 errors when i left to go to work)?

From this it seems like Slots 3 and 4 are faulty as whenever theres a stick in one of these slots Memtest fails, but im a n00b when it comes to memory testing.

Could the sticks just not be working together properly? Is there something im missing???
Any help would be highly appreciated.

They are brand new G.Skill sticks:-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Im in the UK so got them from OverclockersUK.

Ive already sent the mobo back to Gigabyte once because of a corrupted BIOS which prevented post, dont really want to send it again as it cost £17($30) each time...

Help? Cheers :rolleyes:

Back