Is using a W7 on a Mac though Bootcamp any different than using W7 on a PC?

doug_7506

2[H]4U
I was thinking about getting a mac and only using it with W7. Is there any cons for doing this?

Thanks

It works perfectly, I use bootcamp all the time for gaming. Although, I've found that for everything not gaming, I really do prefer OSX.

It works just fine. At this point though, I don't even bother with Bootcamp, I just use Windows in VMs and it works great. Only thing you can't do is run things like the Windows Phone emulator inside a VM, but that's only a concern if you are doing Windows Phone dev.

The only con I could think of, if you were thinking of getting a Mac but only running Windows on it, is you could definitely get a PC, with similar specs, for less money. Other than that, there's just a few nitpicky things, like battery life not being as good while running Windows, over OS X, on a Mac laptop. The Bootcamp drivers aren't quite as mature, or full featured, compared to what Apple does in it's own OS X (which is to be expected). Other than that it should run Windows perfectly fine.

Also, if you have dedicated graphics on your mac, the apple provided bootcamp drivers are way behind the current ATI drivers. It's a little bit of a hassle trying to get the newer drivers installed, but possible.

Installing AMD drivers is a simple download and double click. Couldn't be easier!

I use bootcamp on mine primarily for gaming. Even with native mac games I get significantly better performance with the same games in windows than I do with OSX. In fact win7 x64 is faster and more repsonsive than OSX on the same machine(2011 imac).

I have heard some complaints that the apple drivers for the trackpad in windows aren't that great.

I never really noticed much of an issue when I had a MBP but I've had multiple complain about it to me.

Installing AMD drivers is a simple download and double click. Couldn't be easier!

I use bootcamp on mine primarily for gaming. Even with native mac games I get significantly better performance with the same games in windows than I do with OSX. In fact win7 x64 is faster and more repsonsive than OSX on the same machine(2011 imac).

Help me out then! I always get errors about an unsupported card when I try to install new drivers.

Thanks for all the replies. I am mainly looking at a mac simply b/c I can not find hardware as nice.

I want something light, durable, with decent performance. Seems like a used mac might hit the sweet spot for that.

The PC contenders would be a asus zen book vs a mac book air and a sony vaio z2 vs a mac book pro.

Thanks for all the replies. I am mainly looking at a mac simply b/c I can not find hardware as nice.

I want something light, durable, with decent performance. Seems like a used mac might hit the sweet spot for that.

The PC contenders would be a asus zen book vs a mac book air and a sony vaio z2 vs a mac book pro.

Just a thought you might want to check the new samsung series 9 too.

Back