Is Tiger Direct OK?

I won't be ordering anything from TD again after this last purchase.

On February 20th I purchased a 7970 and they were supposed to email me the AMD game bundle code.

To make a long story short, I received the code yesterday, 3 weeks later after weeks of calling and emailing them.

At first I was told they did email them to me, which I disputed.
I then called and spoke to Pablo who said he had to submit a support ticket to management. Nothing ever came of that and he never returned my email asking for a status update.

I then called again and spoke to Estelle and she said the same thing, that she would have to submit a support ticket to management. Same thing, no code and no email response from her when I asked for a status update.

Someone then directed me here to this forum because of the TD rep helping someone else here in the same situation. I PM'd him/her, and no response back.

Finally, third times a charm calling, I spoke to what seems like the one competent person over there: Aaron. Aaron said he would talk to management personally and he gave me his direct line (wow, someone who wants to be held accountable over there?). Within a couple hours, bam, got the AMD bundle code.

So, thank you to Aaron and Ernesto (manager), and everyone else I guess is just incredibly incompetent.

lets not forget these morons have their roots as a company who started off by selling cut rate pc's with CUT RATE parts on infomercials @3am....... they never had one B&M store until aftter that.....and how many B&M stores did they have before they gobbled up the old CompUSA and Circuit City brands? but wait.... there's more!

On November 4, 1999, case C3903, the Federal Trade Commission issued a decision and order (which expires in 20 years) against TigerDirect for violations of the Pre-sale Availability Rule, the Disclosure Rule and the Warranty Act. TigerDirect agreed to:
1.Not represent that it provides On-Site Service unless all limitations and conditions that apply are disclosed;
2.fulfill obligations under the warranty within a reasonable period of time after receiving notice from the consumer; and
3.shall cease and desist from failing to make warranty text available for examination prior to sale, failing to disclose what is not covered under any given warranty or the procedures needed to have warranty work accomplished and failing to disclose that certain states may give the consumer legal rights in addition to those provided by the warranty.

Infoworld's Robert X. Cringely reported in 2006 that "Tiger's sister company OnRebate.com, which handles payouts for the discount dealer appears to specialize in the 'insufficient documentation' gambit," and, commenting on the volume of complaints on the Internet, that "Tiger's rebate promises appear to be toothless."Consumer-reported difficulties obtaining the rebates led to an investigation by the Florida Attorney General and a failure to maintain a satisfactory BBB rating. According to a former controller at TigerDirect, improperly unpaid rebates were intentional: "...the concept was that if the customer complains you send them out the check to make them happy. But if they don't complain, they totally forget about it, that is the concept of these rebates. People forget that they sent them out.

:confused::confused::confused:

aaannnnnnd theeeeeeennnn

On April 17, 2009, Dell, Inc., filed a lawsuit against TigerDirect, alleging trademark infringement, false advertising and misleading representations of Dell's products, unfair competition, trademark dilution, and breach of contract, among other complaints related to TigerDirect's handling of Dell products. TigerDirect, a former authorized reseller of Dell products, represented to its own customers that Dell products were new and under a Dell warranty. Dell alleged that TigerDirect was not an authorized reseller and that TigerDirect sold discontinued and outdated Dell products as new and represented that the Dell products were under a Dell warranty. Dell also alleged that TigerDirect, which referred to itself as a Dell representative, purchased the Dell products from a third-party, and the company advertised the product using an unauthorized, modified version of the Dell logo in TigerDirect catalogs and on its website. Dell became aware of the unauthorized sales by TigerDirect when customers contacted Dell to demand price matches of the same Dell products sold by TigerDirect.

and AGAIN with the Rebates this one much more recent....... why are people still supporting this company?
On September 4, 2009, Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum filed suit against TigerDirect, OnRebate, and their parent company Systemax, charging the companies with failing to provide rebates to customers.(AGAIN??!?) Systemax responded that a separate class action lawsuit making similar allegations was filed in federal court in 2007 and was dismissed on August 31, 2009 after a settlement. The company denied the allegations in the Florida Attorney General complaint and said it intends to defend itself vigorously. This suit was dismissed by the Florida State Attorney on October 26, 2010, under a settlement agreement again.....

3 suits over rebates since 2006? lol now they use another Tigerdirect sister company "worldwiderebates" to do rebate processing? ok so let me make sure i have this correct .......since the right arm got caught in the cookie jar lets just use the left one now instead..... LOL what the hell? why not use a completely 3rd party to do the rebates? juuuuuuuuust to show us and the world that you are not trying to rip people off again?

Not giving advertised free games with their video cards... not accepting returns.... selling used items as new....ignoring warranties..... selling items they do not have in stock and not telling people..... buying and selling counterfit and older model DELL computers as new...... lol wow... crooks....... i cant even believe there is any question.... fuck these guys..... my backside is still sore from the last time i attempted to do buisness with them.......if you want to give these guys your money feel free.... but i know im done. :cool:

TD is primarily a B&M store, so they have to give more rebates than an e-tailer like Newegg.

Last edited:
well i just wanted a new GPS, not an open box scratched unit. i wasnt looking for anything negative i was looking for what i paid for. The negative just came along with the transaction.... and it wasnt from me. i did my part. i paid. like i would to any store or any website selling them..... and i found out they did the same shady crap that they had done in years past. To the point it was past their return period and i was stuck with it. So really..... i was looking for positive, thats why i decided to try them out again and boy was i dissapointed.

lol

If you are looking for something negative, you will find something negative.

I have only made a few purchases at tiger direct. Never had an issue though.

I feel like amazon and newegg are kings of the tech e-commerce world and do most of my purchases there.

I have only made a few purchases at tiger direct. Never had an issue though.

I feel like amazon and newegg are kings of the tech e-commerce world and do most of my purchases there.

it is probably because they are some of the few e-tailers that do not try and charge more than the retail price of the item itself.

I have purchased from TD many times over the years & have never had a problem with them.

I have purchased from TD many times over the years & have never had a problem with them.

Same here. Always received my rebates from them relatively quickly as well.

When I lived in Raleigh (2006-2010), it was nice having a Tiger Direct store nearby. Sure, I was charged tax, but their prices were usually the same as Newegg or close, so I got the added advantage of instant gratification. I'm not sure I've ever ordered anything from their online store (shipping charges were usually too high), but I have no complaints about the B&M store. I even took my friend there to shop for parts to build a PC. :)

Keep in mind many of the products sold by Amazon are direct shipped from Tiger Direct. The items I have received were all packaged well and shipped promptly.

I would say yes, Tiger Direct as definitely ok. :) The last 2 items I bought from them, an FX 8120 and 16GB of laptop ram arrived overnight just like I ordered it. With Newegg, you have to add at least one extra day for overnighting and 4 days if you overnight on a Thursday.

Also, I ordered 16GB of ram and then found later that the ram was only compatible with Intel 2nd Gen Core processors. I called them, they said to either refuse the shipment or just call them and I would receive and full refund when they received the product back. (Newegg would have probably told me tough shit.)

Well, I installed the ram anyways and it worked. But, tiger direct has a novel idea, overnight shipping that is actually overnight. (Who'd a thunk it?) Edit: Oh, and the overnight shipping charges are usually half of what newegg would charge.

Generally TD is pretty good. Only issue I had was with my GTX 680 on launch day. TD showed it in stock and I ordered, only problem was, they didn't have it in stock and didn't see fit to notify me of that fact.

Managed to get one off Amazon next day, and cancelled the TD order.

No problems with TD at all in the past, but now that I live in FL the tax kills it and I stick with Amazon.

do you have an example? isnt that like buying something from safeway and getting it delivered by kroeger?????!!?! or buying it from walmart and TARGET delivers it???!? doesnt make much sense..... EDIT: so i just searched through 15 or 20 different video cards and motherboards.... and soooo far 90% of them said "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available. " didnt say a word about tiger direct.......

Keep in mind many of the products sold by Amazon are direct shipped from Tiger Direct. The items I have received were all packaged well and shipped promptly.

sound like the presale availibility thing they got busted for in the past.....

Generally TD is pretty good. Only issue I had was with my GTX 680 on launch day. TD showed it in stock and I ordered, only problem was, they didn't have it in stock and didn't see fit to notify me of that fact.

Managed to get one off Amazon next day, and cancelled the TD order.

I have ordered from Tigerdirect. It is slow on shipping. Other than that, everything else is alright.

I don't deal with TD as they are just a rebate factory. I'll take the cheapest price now vs. spinning the rebate lottery wheel for later.

I use Tiger, Newegg,amazon, and others to compare prices. Once in a blue moon tiger will have the better deal. Isn't tiger related to compusa/circuit city?

I just bought an eVGA 4gb gtx 680 from TD and it arrived quickly.. and tax free :D

Yea same as Newegg for now at least. Amazon added tax I think late last year or earlier this year. Congress is trying to pass a law for all online bussinesses/small businesses to include tax. Amazon used to never tax.

I use Tiger, Newegg,amazon, and others to compare prices. Once in a blue moon tiger will have the better deal. Isn't tiger related to compusa/circuit city?

tiger bought the naming rights for circuity city and compusa once their B&M stores went out of buisness to try and fool us. that way we give money to a GOOD company who hasnt screwed us over the years. so circuit city and compusa websites, ADs, pricing the item descriptions, customer service phone numbers, and products sold are 100% the same as tigerdirect.com they just tried to fool us........ kinda how everytime a telecom company screws us over they change their name...... USWEST to QWEST to CENTURY LINK....... or PAC BELL to GTE to VERIZON to FRONTIER..... LOL every time they get caught hosing their customers over they just change their company name so they can start NEW.... like tiger tried with circuit city and compUSA.... lol fun times.

tiger bought the naming rights for circuity city and compusa once their B&M stores went out of buisness to try and fool us. that way we give money to a GOOD company who hasnt screwed us over the years. so circuit city and compusa websites, ADs, pricing the item descriptions, customer service phone numbers, and products sold are 100% the same as tigerdirect.com they just tried to fool us........ kinda how everytime a telecom company screws us over they change their name...... USWEST to QWEST to CENTURY LINK....... or PAC BELL to GTE to VERIZON to FRONTIER..... LOL every time they get caught hosing their customers over they just change their company name so they can start NEW.... like tiger tried with circuit city and compUSA.... lol fun times.

Are you butthurt dude? I have bought a few things over the last year and all of them came next day like I ordered. With newegg, you most likely will not get it the next day but 2 to 5 days later and even then, it might just be a used item that you get.

Also, unlike neweggs tough shit attitude, I would have been able to get a refund on an open processor within 30 days minus the shipping. Sorry if you have had problems with them in the past but so far, I have had great success and orders shipped on time.

I have ordered from Tigerdirect. It is slow on shipping. Other than that, everything else is alright.

That is weird, I have overnighted my last few orders and got them overnight. Is it just standard shipping?

Tiger is ok, but I myself tend to use Ncix and their sisters directcanada-bestdirect and forget other one, Tiger bought out compusa and circuit city(who owns radio shack) they kept the name on a few of them, not to screw the customers as you are saying, but from brand recognition in the cities and towns where they were successful enough.

Tiger got bad rap for costs and shipping problems, however they are not crap, Newegg does tend to have wicked bundle deals but a lot of folks found "new" items in a used state many times, but a lot of folks also deal with them lots so they do tend to be ok, if a little shady sometimes, like recently with my friend whom bought a motherboard from them, did not work as it should(bad memory slots) they fought tooth and nail saying he broke it etc but did eventually take back and sent replacement of same when he threatened to call his Ccard company.

I myself have had similar happen recently with my new 7870, bought from future shop, got a great deal on it, when I got it noticed the box sticker was open, the card protective caps were all off, and the cooler has a good scratch on the side of it, but, it overclocks better at a lower voltage and better temps then my recent sent back to MSI card which still needs a lot of volts for a decent clock, so I swapped them port to port to balance the overclocks for my bitcoin.

I still think Ncix and sisters, hookbag, memory express are the best ones to deal with for numerous reasons, never had an issue with them, everything arrives in 1-5 days time from date of order no matter how complex my order was or how many pieces were in it, and nothing damaged at all.

Are you butthurt dude? I have bought a few things over the last year and all of them came next day like I ordered. With newegg, you most likely will not get it the next day but 2 to 5 days later and even then, it might just be a used item that you get.

Also, unlike neweggs tough shit attitude, I would have been able to get a refund on an open processor within 30 days minus the shipping. Sorry if you have had problems with them in the past but so far, I have had great success and orders shipped on time.

LMAO he has nothing against Tiger, just the statement that the company undertook diff business's. With newegg, I bought a product and the next day they had a 20% that same product. I called and talked to a rep. I got my 20% after the fact of purchasing the product. In no way is Tiger worse than Newegg or vice versa. I have shoprunner for newegg, which is 2 day free shipping and have not paid a dime for that. In my experience w/ tiger is they do not discount as much. Like I said, once in a blue moon Tiger will have a great discount, but you can count on Newegg or Amazon to get you an item for less.

The only problem I have with TD, which I have not had with Amazon or Newegg is I bought a 42" LCD TV from them; apparently they were out of stock despite the web site not saying that, so they charged my card and then held it for 2 weeks, after which I cancelled the order and went else where.

Amazon has done something similar, I've ordered something that went out of stock, but they didn't charge my card until after it was ready to ship.

I've had similar experiences with Tiger Direct. Ordering something, get charged immediately, and then the item isn't actually in stock and I'm waiting weeks. It's why I won't use them anymore.

For a guy who has been here for nearly 6 years im surprised that you dont read too well....... i never said one word about shipping.... jeeze... if you are gonna talk shit at least take 30 seconds and read what i said.... its really not that difficult ;) definition.... LOL although im glad you agree with me that Tiger sells used items as new, and im glad you choose to give them your money. Newegg might have a tough shit attitude but at least they tell you when their shit is OPEN BOX and used....

and cause i know you missed this part earlier... YES... i am butthurt... i stated that a couple months ago.... so here... ill repost it....:rolleyes:

lol wow... crooks....... i cant even believe there is any question.... fuck these guys..... my backside is still sore from the last time i attempted to do buisness with them.......if you want to give these guys your money feel free.... but i know im done. :cool:

Tiger Direct is fine, unless you want to receive a product sooner, in that case I would go with Amazon Prime, or Newegg.

My Tiger Direct orders come in 2 days with the basic shipping. I keep forgetting how well their hard drives are packed. I need to order there more often.

speaking of eating a bag of dicks...... instantly reminded me of Louis CK..... lol .....a short video about the subject........suck a bag of dicks.....

Funny stuff......milk up your nose funny.

Anyway, I've purchased a few GPUs from TD, a CPU or two, some RAM..........actually pretty good service.

I recently bought a GTX 670 that had bad coil whine, used their chat service and they refunded my money as soon as they got the card back in the mail.

Their prices can be super inflated if a product is hot, I don't think I ever got any stellar deals, but I always got what I paid for.

Back