Is Tiger Direct OK?

TheArTcher

Limp Gawd
I've been buying tech from Newegg and Amazon but would like more options. Is Tiger Direct a good source? Anything to watch out for? Any other place you guys recommend?

TIA,
Artcher

Nothing wrong with them at all.......TD or Amazon all the way....Screwegg can eat a bag of dicks:D

i once had trouble with a rebate getting denied, but i've heard they've gotten better about that, so if you buy something with a rebate, just think of it as a bonus if/when you do get it.

As bigted said, getting rebates is iffy.

Also, they're as bad at HD packaging as Newegg. To many DOA's (I've had this experience from both of them). I won't buy HD's from either of them. I buy HD's from Superbiiz, B&HPhoto or Amazon.

Other than those 2 things, they're OK.

Been ordering from TigerDirect for almost 20 years now (since their paper catalog days). They're fine.

I'm not fond of their customer service or return policies. Make sure to pay close attention to those. I really love Amazon for that reason more than any other.

I prefer NCIX over all of them as they do pricematching, have dealt with them for years.
NCIX, Newegg, Tiger, Amazon, Best Buy, all of them are ok, depends on the prices, hence why I generally go NCIX and newegg, they tend to have the best prices/deals, Tiger is ok, but I find that on some things they are asking a hell of a premium vs most, combo deals, shellshockers, pricematching can definately offset this.

Tigerdirect is fine. Been buying things off and on from them for years. Never had any issues. Prices can be hit or miss, but they generally have decent selection. Only complaint is sometimes their packaging is sub-par and often charge a bit to much for shipping.

Been ordering from TigerDirect for almost 20 years now (since their paper catalog days). They're fine.

Yeah, I can remember my dad ordering an AMD K6 machine from their magazine about 16 years ago. Now a days they really don't have much to set them apart from other online retailers, though they do seem to occasionally have some great refurb deals.

Tigerdirect is better than they were. Use to feel like it was run by a used car salesman. Still does, but less so.

Tigerdirect is great, they never gave me an issue,and even matched neweggs price for me

Also no tax in California :D

Bought my i5 at TigerDirect. They are very reputable. Unlike BlowEgg.

TD is awesome, I've never had an issue with them. It's kind of nice having them in the next state over (IL), everything comes next day. :)

fuck tiger direct. they ripped me off more than once i will never give them my money again. customer service is a fucking joke. makes newegg look like nordstrom........ tiger sent me an open box GPS unit it was scratched on the screen!! ..... sold it to me as new.... tried to get an RMA to return it to them was a joke.... i get standard form letter email from them thanks for taking the time blah blah blah... pleae provide more details as to what is wrong... i respond to them i tell them you sold me a used item as new, i want a new one! i get a response "thank you for contacting tiger direct..... just like i started over... they asked what the problem was.... so i wrote back AGAIN saying what happened including the text and body from the previous email just as they asked... and once more the only reply i got was from another form letter asking for details... so i finally wrote back to "kumar, Imad, anurag, and mr hong, (which were the names they signed at the bottom of the form email) with one simple sentance, "please scroll down and read this entire email." what do you think happened? I GOT ANOTHER FUCKING GENERIC FORM LETTER!!!! Just like i started over and not one moron could actually figure out what my problem was.... i called them, explained the situation, they issued RMA and i mailed the GPS back to them......... just to recieve the same fucking item back in return with an email reply stating they could not find any issues with my unit and was not sure why i returned it to them. so now i paid for a used item sold to me as new, paid for shipping to start with, paid shipping to send it back to them... and im still stuck with a messed up GPS. they ripped me off. fucking morons. straight up. i hate tiger direct. the people running their customer service have their head so far up their ass im surprised they can breathe i have 2 or 3 other instances where they screwed me over but i dont care to type it all out. fuck em. i hate to say it NEWEGG may not help out the [H] anymore but newegg has never stolen money form me before like tiger.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with them at all.......TD or Amazon all the way....Screwegg can eat a bag of dicks:D

Such class. :rolleyes:

Edit: Don't get me wrong I am not a egg fan..I just would not expect to see that kind of a post from a mod. Then again I am just really starting to come back to this forum more often things change I guess.

Last edited:
Since when do mods have to have "class"?? That's fuckin stupid... He was just displaying his heartfelt opinion about the ass-bags that are NewEgg. I felt it to be a very honest and to-the-point post. Honesty is what I look for in a Mod. Don't you?

The only problem I have with TD, which I have not had with Amazon or Newegg is I bought a 42" LCD TV from them; apparently they were out of stock despite the web site not saying that, so they charged my card and then held it for 2 weeks, after which I cancelled the order and went else where.

Amazon has done something similar, I've ordered something that went out of stock, but they didn't charge my card until after it was ready to ship.

Since when do mods have to have "class"?? That's fuckin stupid... He was just displaying his heartfelt opinion about the ass-bags that are NewEgg. I felt it to be a very honest and to-the-point post. Honesty is what I look for in a Mod. Don't you?

Not really. Since they are suppose to be "mods". It's like a cop talking on a cell phone when driving then pulling you over for doing it or a cop pulling you over while tailgating your ass because your not moving fast enough then pull you over for speeding when you decide to move faster.

I digress, OP- personally would just stick with amazon. I just had to buy something from newegg because amazon was out of stock. Soon amazon will be coming to New Jersey so will it's tax.

Tiger is a decent place. I don't order from them online, but use it as a last resort for something I need last minute. Due to sales tax in IL, it makes almost any purchase from other sites cheaper. Also, be cautious of return/exchange policies. I have had instances of a new defective item exchanged in their retail store with another returned used item. Their argument was that I opened the box, and that I could exchange it for another opened box.... Basically in a 20 minute radius, I have a Best Buy, Fry's, Microcenter, and Tigerdirect. By far Microcenter has been the best to me.

Such class. :rolleyes:

Edit: Don't get me wrong I am not a egg fan..I just would not expect to see that kind of a post from a mod. Then again I am just really starting to come back to this forum more often things change I guess.

would you prefer bag of penises?

Not really. Since they are suppose to be "mods". It's like a cop talking on a cell phone when driving then pulling you over for doing it or a cop pulling you over while tailgating your ass because your not moving fast enough then pull you over for speeding when you decide to move faster.

Ive broken no rules here, Ive only posted my honest opinion of an establishment....however if I have alienated you or anyone else, I do apologize..it was not my intention

would you prefer bag of penises?

Guess that's more PC lol.

Edit: Kyle maybe blunt in nature and not even care about the post. Ultimately, the website and by extension the forums is still a business and it's not really a professional post. Maybe use a personal account?

Last edited:
That is a terrible analogy.

No mod is going "ticket" you for liking Newegg or dislike Amazon.

Guess that's more PC lol.

Edit: Kyle maybe blunt in nature and not even care about the post. Ultimately, the website and by extension the forums is still a business and it's not really a professional post. Maybe use a personal account?

Really??... Digging a bigger hole?...

Just ordered a phone from there, I wasnt even going to get a smartphone but it was free with contract. They transferred upgrades unlike amazon and it came with 50 dollars in google play points.

Back on topic, tigerdirect has been fine with me. They have improved in the last couple of years, rebates I've had great results with, done a few dozen without issue.

NCIX is also another one worth looking at, bought a few things from them and have been happy.

I work with 3 ex td/compusa employees and all 3 of them say to avoid them unless its a hell of a good deal with no rebates.

I've ordered plenty from TD as long as their prices aren't too outta whack. I can order stuff ground shipping and I always get it next day. I'm in SE Wisconsin.

I do have a Amazon Prime account so just about all my purchases go through them now. but every now and then TD has something I want that Amazon doesn't or is cheaper. Amazon has just about everything, but I only buy stuff from Amazon sold directly by them, or atleast shipped from one of their warehouses.

Newegg is the last choice for me these days.

Last edited:
Ive never had any problem with Tiger. Ive bought a few different things from them with rebates. Havnt had any issues.

The only thing they suck at is returns. They dont even allow returns on like, video cards. Just have to remember they arnt newegg or amazon....heh.

I work with 3 ex td/compusa employees and all 3 of them say to avoid them unless its a hell of a good deal with no rebates.

Oh yes! forgot about that too. Avoid the rebates on TD. Nothing but trouble, and it's just a scam to get people to buy and then hope they forget about the rebate or do something wrong and get denied.

Oh yes! forgot about that too. Avoid the rebates on TD. Nothing but trouble, and it's just a scam to get people to buy and then hope they forget about the rebate or do something wrong and get denied.

Not really true. These type of comments come from the past when they used different rebate processing centers. And they did have some issues back then which got them that reputation.

These days though, they go through the same rebate processing centers all other rebates go through for the most part. It just depends on the rebate. Some people seem to think TD rebates are all processed by TD. Not true at all. They use the same centers newegg, amazon, etc all use. Again, it just depends on the rebate..... Most rebates are manufacturer. For example, If a rebate is from EVGA, that has nothing to do with TD.....

Personally never had any issues with rebates on products at TD. I think every item ive bought from them had a rebate too.

tiger usually has nothing to do with the rebates they are done through the manufacturer...not the retailer half the time the rebate states you can buy at amazon TD newegg etc......... Tiger just has their head up their ass when it comes to customer service and they like to bait and switch..... and who ever thinks their reputation has gotten better... that little story i told about the GPS.... was from this past thanksgiving....... that was strike 3. if they are getting better i sure cant tell. looks like a used car lot.... smells like a used car lot... they act like a used car lot..... must be a used car lot! buy at your own risk. :mad:

Not really true. These type of comments come from the past when they used different rebate processing centers. And they did have some issues back then which got them that reputation.

These days though, they go through the same rebate processing centers all other rebates go through for the most part. It just depends on the rebate. Some people seem to think TD rebates are all processed by TD. Not true at all. They use the same centers newegg, amazon, etc all use. Again, it just depends on the rebate..... Most rebates are manufacturer. For example, If a rebate is from EVGA, that has nothing to do with TD.....

Personally never had any issues with rebates on products at TD. I think every item ive bought from them had a rebate too.

Last edited:
Ive never had any problem with Tiger. Ive bought a few different things from them with rebates. Havnt had any issues.

The only thing they suck at is returns. They dont even allow returns on like, video cards. Just have to remember they arnt newegg or amazon....heh.

The do accept returns on video cards. I just returned one today.
If it's open, they'll charge a restocking fee. Other parts aren't returnable, like motherboards.

The only issue I have with TigerDirect is that majority of their discounts are mail-in rebates. And, I don't have the best of luck with mail-in rebates. One rebate took me three months to receive, and another a good month.

At least with Newegg and Amazon, I know I'll get a deal instantly or not without having to mail in something. And, there aren't a lot of mail-in rebate discounts on Newegg, most of them are instant discounts.

The only issue I have with TigerDirect is that majority of their discounts are mail-in rebates. And, I don't have the best of luck with mail-in rebates. One rebate took me three months to receive, and another a good month.

At least with Newegg and Amazon, I know I'll get a deal instantly or not without having to mail in something. And, there aren't a lot of mail-in rebate discounts on Newegg, most of them are instant discounts.

TD is primarily a B&M store, so they have to give more rebates than an e-tailer like Newegg.

Back