Is this worth it? (FX-60 for $250)

Nexweb

n00b
I was on craigslist this morning when something caught my eye:

"I'm selling an AMD FX 60. Thats one of the fastest CPUs out on the market today. I got it as a gift but have no use for it since I already bought myself a new computer. Do not know if it works have never used it and also some of the pins are bent so I do not want to touch them for fear of making them worse."

The selling price was $250 but I don't know about it cause the pins are bent and they have never tested it.

Also, if I didn't get this chip (its a little over my price range) and I wanted to build a cheap system from scratch, which would be better:

1. Get an AM2 X2 3800+ and OC it
2. Get a Pentium D 915 and OC it

$250 is quite a bit of money for a CPU that may be dead.

Yeah, $250 for a chip with bent pins is iffy. It probably wouldn't be hard for him to try to bend the pins back and pop it into a system just to see if it works, then he could sell it for at least double that. You have to wonder why he wouldn't go that route...

If you already have the AMD base system (motherboard, RAM, etc) then a 3800+ OCed would perform well. Don't get a P4 915. However, a Core 2 Duo E6400 should run around $250, and when OCed will destroy that FX-60, even if you got a good OC on the FX 60 as well.

Bent pins is not always a big deal but buying it like that you have no recourse if it is indeed dead. If you really want to spend $250 then I suggest a new retail X2 4400+

joemama said:
Bent pins is not always a big deal but buying it like that you have no recourse if it is indeed dead. If you really want to spend $250 then I suggest a new retail X2 4400+

Why a 4400+ ? The absolute only reason to buy an AMD chip as an upgrade right now is if you already have an AMD mobo and regular DDR RAM, and are looking for an upgrade on the cheap. If it is a new system where you are going to have to get a mobo anyway, Core 2 Duo gives you way more bang for the buck.

NulloModo said:
Why a 4400+ ? The absolute only reason to buy an AMD chip as an upgrade right now is if you already have an AMD mobo and regular DDR RAM, and are looking for an upgrade on the cheap. If it is a new system where you are going to have to get a mobo anyway, Core 2 Duo gives you way more bang for the buck.

except for the fact that we amd !!!!!!s dont want core 2 duo shenanigans in our systems.

Well, I just emailed the guy and asked if he never used the CPU then why were the pins bent. I'm figuring it is indeed a dead CPU so I'm not going to persue it any further unless he accepts my offer for $20 ;)

Nexweb said:
Well, I just emailed the guy and asked if he never used the CPU then why were the pins bent. I'm figuring it is indeed a dead CPU so I'm not going to persue it any further unless he accepts my offer for $20 ;)

Plus, it's Craigslist, my experiences with dealing with anyone there make me think I'd be safer off buying something off of someone in Nigeria off of E-bay than dealing with most of those fools.

Desrin -

Fair enough, I admit one of the reasons I waited so long for my current planned upgrade was so that Intel could come up with something that outperformed.

NulloModo said:
Plus, it's Craigslist, my experiences with dealing with anyone there make me think I'd be safer off buying something off of someone in Nigeria off of E-bay than dealing with most of those fools.

QFT.

tell him that you wanna see it work and if it does then yes its worth it but if its broken tell with 25$ take it or leave it!

Stay away, you can buy AMD X2 Socket M2 4000+ for $198 brand new, which has 1mb cache per core from ZZF and overclock it pass FX62 speed @ 3.1ghz,

Back