Is this worth a neutral heat?

tjmaxwell

Gawd
I won't go into too many specifics in order to protect the "buyer" if I'm off-base about this, but I recently agreed to sell a fairly high-ticket item that I also had listed on eBay because I needed to sell it quickly. Then, after the buyer commits and asks for my PayPal address, he suddenly no longer answers PMs.

It goes down like this:

1. Buyer contacts me via PM to ask if I'll accept less than my asking price.
2. I reply with a counter offer.
3. He replies with "I can do $xxx. I received my payment for the items I sold and will shoot you the $xxx once buyer receives them. Whats your pp addy?"
4. I ask if he can pay right away because I need the money ASAP for another purchase. He replies "Sure shoot me the address."
5. I cancel the eBay listing and send him my PayPal address.
6. No payment comes within 24 hours so I send him a PM asking if he's still purchasing. No reply even though he definitely signed in.
7. I send him another very reasonable PM the next day basically saying if you changed your mind or whatever, that's fine, just let me know. No reply to that either. It's been three days since then and the last time he signed in was last night.

I think I'm a pretty reasonable person. If he just told me he changed his mind, found a better deal, or whatever, I would be fine with it. Not thrilled, but willing to move on. But to me, it's not right to fully commit to a deal and then just fall off the face of the earth. This person has good heatware feedback so it's confusing.

Do you think he deserves a neutral heat eval or should I just let it go?

Its tough to shoot a heat eval when there really wasn't a deal completed.
I understand your position but I don't believe there is reason to even leave any heat; good, neutral, or bad.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the perspective buyer should have responded to your pm with his or her decision and not just ignore your contact. Still I don't think it deserves heat.

You can't leave heat unless money was exchanged. (Heatware rule) Things like this happens all the time and as a seller you're bound to experience it a few times. Chalk it up as a lesson and move on. Next time don't take down or modify your listing until the money arrives in your account.

This is exactly why I don't do dibs/holds. It's either paid or nothing.

Kinda your mistake for removing the eBay listing prior to having money in your hands. Won't argue that the potential buyer was lame for not letting you know either way.

I would agree with others that a heat is not warranted here.

Just chalk it up to a lesson. Only cancel the Ebay listing once Paypal has been received.

You can't leave heat unless money was exchanged. (Heatware rule) Things like this happens all the time and as a seller you're bound to experience it a few times. Chalk it up as a lesson and move on. Next time don't take down or modify your listing until the money arrives in your account.

Kinda your mistake for removing the eBay listing prior to having money in your hands. Won't argue that the potential buyer was lame for not letting you know either way.

This. As much as it sucks, no transaction - no heat.

Back