Is this the worst time to upgrade ever?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
Seems like we are all sitting on our hands waiting for the news. Look at the FS, no gpus really. I have a single 670 2gb and it is working fine but I have had it for so long I want a new shiny. I don't really even NEED to upgrade I just want to.

What to get? Well, amd has some good deals now but buyers remorse may happen all of a sudden when nvidia drops their prices or offers a similar deal. All I can do is wait for titan and maybe see if nvidia does a deal on 4gb cards. Making me crazy trying to figure the best upgrade path.

I get the upgrade itch from time to time, but that 670 hasn't even been out a year yet. I don't really see what you can complain about just yet in terms of a new series coming from Nvidia. If it was the 7900 series (if you bought at launch) I could understand.

Have you thought about going SLI? If the cost of Titan doesn't bother you I guess you could go for that.

Seems like we are all sitting on our hands waiting for the news. Look at the FS, no gpus really. I have a single 670 2gb and it is working fine but I have had it for so long I want a new shiny. I don't really even NEED to upgrade I just want to.

What to get? Well, amd has some good deals now but buyers remorse may happen all of a sudden when nvidia drops their prices or offers a similar deal. All I can do is wait for titan and maybe see if nvidia does a deal on 4gb cards. Making me crazy trying to figure the best upgrade path.

It really depends on what monitor(s) you run.

A second 670 would be good if you run 3+ monitors, a high res(2560x1440) monitor, or 120hz monitor.

I thought about SLI bc I do have a 120hz but isn't the 670 limited due to it's mem bus being 256? No reason to do that just to have it for a little bit more fps. I want a faster single card. My rig actually handles BF3 pretty well considering it handles adaptive vsync at 1920x1080 at 120 in game with very little issue and the temps stay under 66C fans at 50% so cool and quiet. I really don't need to upgrade, just want to and yeah. Bored? I think so.

Anyway, I am waiting on Titan. Not going to buy one but interested in seeing what the future might hold. Just driving me nuts having to sit and wait.

I thought about SLI bc I do have a 120hz but isn't the 670 limited due to it's mem bus being 256? No reason to do that just to have it for a little bit more fps. I want a faster single card. My rig actually handles BF3 pretty well considering it handles adaptive vsync at 1920x1080 at 120 in game with very little issue and the temps stay under 66C fans at 50% so cool and quiet. I really don't need to upgrade, just want to and yeah. Bored? I think so.

Anyway, I am waiting on Titan. Not going to buy one but interested in seeing what the future might hold. Just driving me nuts having to sit and wait.

The 256bit bus AFAIK wont limit anything. The 2gb for your res and such is perfect and if you do BF3 with 64 player mode, a 2nd 670 might help with full eye candy on.(And probably some other games)

Yeah, I looked up the titan and it seems good, but the price tag is a bit much. rofl

You really aren't going to be limited by memory at 1080p. I have a 120hz monitor with 2x GTX680 and no problems.

Most believe that Titan will be a bit slower than a GTX690, which should make it very comparable to GTX670 SLI. Getting another 670 could be a great way to get the performance of a $900 videocard right now.

If you want something new then I'd sell the 670 when Titan comes out to cut the cost

I really don't think that titan is going to effect the price on any other single gpu card on the market. I don't think that the price of GTX670 is going to be dropping much any time soon.

I wouldn't even look forward to a refresh. Nothing worth upgrading to until Maxwell.
You can go Titan, but you can also buy another 670 for much cheaper.

The titan is right around the corner

stop saying shit that isnt true.. retard assumptions based on nothing.

new cards arent expected till Q3. Kyle has already confirmed.

@OP

its hardly ever worth it to wait. just get what you need when you need it.

I've read more than some of Kyle's comments surrounding Titan and he did not "confirm" anything.

@OP

its hardly ever worth it to wait. just get what you need when you need it.
:rolleyes:

I dont even know how to respond to you.

Pls share where kyle has stated the titan isnt coming out till q3

I sometimes have the same problem. I wanted to upgrade. So I decided to replace my back up hard drive with a cheap 512gb ssd!

Second 670? Are you VRAM limited at the moment? This would probably be the most economic way to get a good performance boost.

I have a 2500K at 4.4 btw. Might also consider a faster cpu to get to 5ghz. For BF3 that would help with the view distance aka mesh. I am stuck on medium atm.

Not vram or cpu limited but I could easily be so. I adjust my settings to what works best for the sys. In Skyrim and BF3 could certainly go over the vram limit. That is why I was thinking maybe a 7950 or 7970 sidegrade and get some free games.

SLI 670s are a good idea too. I can't imagine needing to upgrade that for a good long while. Just need another evga vanilla. Can't mix brands/models right?

I am not going to go away from a single gpu though. SLI and crossfire are ok but I am so damn sensitive to anything except butter smooth fps that I am scared to go try them again.

I have a 2500K at 4.4 btw. Might also consider a faster cpu to get to 5ghz. For BF3 that would help with the view distance aka mesh. I am stuck on medium atm.

Not vram or cpu limited but I could easily be so. I adjust my settings to what works best for the sys. In Skyrim and BF3 could certainly go over the vram limit. That is why I was thinking maybe a 7950 or 7970 sidegrade and get some free games.

SLI 670s are a good idea too. I can't imagine needing to upgrade that for a good long while. Just need another evga vanilla. Can't mix brands/models right?

I am not going to go away from a single gpu though. SLI and crossfire are ok but I am so damn sensitive to anything except butter smooth fps that I am scared to go try them again.

Well, I've read/heard that SLI is a lot better than CrossFire and is very smooth with no microstutter issues like it used to have. Someone with current gen SLI can expound upon that better than I can. And I have no clue about the mix/matching of different brands. Technically, it shouldn't be a problem (unless the cards are obviously different spec'd), but I could see why Nvidia would disallow it. I think that if you're set on single-GPU performance, your only real option would be to wait for the next generation. I can't see spending so much money on a Radeon 7970 Ghz for what would ultimately be a very small upgrade.

Crysis 3, Full graphics + AA and all that jazz, uses 2.5GB of my video card memory, @1080p FYI.

Last edited:
the 670 is still a great card right now and upgrading right now for better performance would be a 680 or 7970 and a waste of money for a little bit of performance. You are left with either SLI 670 or wait till 700 series which will also probably not be that much much better than the 6.

I am thinking that there is no way in hell I want to risk going AMD now. I am starting to really fear that we might be left with Nvidia in a year or two. Seems very possible.

So I think I will hope the nvidia prices come down a bit and sli just so I will stop thinking about it.

I need ~8GB video card to run Max Payne 3 at full specs on 1600p. That's when I'm going to next upgrade.

I am thinking that there is no way in hell I want to risk going AMD now. I am starting to really fear that we might be left with Nvidia in a year or two. Seems very possible.

So I think I will hope the nvidia prices come down a bit and sli just so I will stop thinking about it.

Why? I've been very happy with my 7950s.

Well considering AMD is providing the GPU's (in the form of APUs) for both PS4 and the next xbox, I think they'll be around for a few more years at least.

Yeah, I don't understand either. Until AMD says otherwise, let's assume they're going to still be around and will still make video cards.

Why? I've been very happy with my 7950s.

Why post this then? ;)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1740932

It's ok, I know amd drivers have improved lately but there seems to be serious bugs still. Since I mostly play BF3, it seems prudent to stick with Nvidia.

I agree that the 7950s are a great deal atm. I am just being paranoid. Those game bundles make the 7950 hard to resist.

I wish there was a 670 game bundle.....

lol

that's exactly how I feel. I have occasional artifacts in a couple games and my machine won't wake from sleep but I'm still really happy with my 7950.

I guess it all comes down to getting mine for almost 1/2 the price of a new 670 (got the 7950 used)

lol

that's exactly how I feel. I have occasional artifacts in a couple games and my machine won't wake from sleep but I'm still really happy with my 7950.

I guess it all comes down to getting mine for almost 1/2 the price of a new 670 (got the 7950 used)
sorry but that sounds quite sad.

If you haven't upgraded to the latest gen gpu's this is an amazing time to upgrade.

AMD Never Settle Reloaded and call it a day.

Resoultion was the reason I upgraded. I went from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600. If all your games are playing fine there is no reason to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. If you're going high resolution gaming, then consider the new video cards comint out late this year. If you're content with your monitor resolution keep what you have till you have game that is giving your videocard a hardtime.

AHH the old upgrade itch. Is this a bad time to upgrade? Well depends on what you have and in your case you have a 670 card so that upgrade could not have been too long ago. Unless you are going multi monitor I dont see any reason why you need to upgrade your video card and nothing compelling to upgrade to as far as your GPU goes at this time. Perhaps instead of fixating on a new graphics card you could consider a bigger monitor, a better display, an SSD drive, some good sound card or speakers?, in short youve got the GPU covered it seems perhaps you should scratch your upgrade itch on some other hardware you have been neglecting? As for 4 gig cards I see no improvement to justify upgrading to one of those. I currently use an HP 30 inch monitor and a gigabyte 670 card game at max on 1920x1200 all day long. Maybe its time to look at a bigger monitor? All I can say is mine is pure eye candy.

Why post this then? ;)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1740932

It's ok, I know amd drivers have improved lately but there seems to be serious bugs still. Since I mostly play BF3, it seems prudent to stick with Nvidia.

I agree that the 7950s are a great deal atm. I am just being paranoid. Those game bundles make the 7950 hard to resist.

I wish there was a 670 game bundle.....

I started that mostly due to Fallout New Vegas which was completely unplayable for me with my GTX670. It is completely playable on the 7950s but I ran into the occasional artifact. I also found a work around. Forcing SSAA (which doesn't work properly with Nvidia cards in this game) got rid of the artifacts. That also seems to have been fixed since.

Kepler drivers were a clusterfuck for me. I've run into some quirks with 7950 drivers but overall I've been pretty happy.

Last edited:
I know, just pulling your chain a bit. I might get a 7950 just to try it and get the bundle. Sell whichever card and either get another or a better monitor.

If you've had good luck with your GTX670 I would pick up a second for some sli.

A new monitor is always fun too. Have you tried 3d vision? For the first few months that fun as hell and that new Asus 23" 144hz monitor is pretty reasonably priced. I love my Korean 2560x1440 monitor. You would be surprised at how well a single 670 handles most games at that res.

Well considering AMD is providing the GPU's (in the form of APUs) for both PS4 and the next xbox, I think they'll be around for a few more years at least.

But will they still be in the high end pc gaming industry?

If you've had good luck with your GTX670 I would pick up a second for some sli.

A new monitor is always fun too. Have you tried 3d vision? For the first few months that fun as hell and that new Asus 23" 144hz monitor is pretty reasonably priced. I love my Korean 2560x1440 monitor. You would be surprised at how well a single 670 handles most games at that res.

The Asus looks great! I would need another 670 for 3d I think.

Since I am a high speed fps guy, the only Korean monitor I would like is an OC model and that is too much atm. Much as I would love to pump up the resolution, 60-75hz is too slow.

You would be surprised at how many games that you'll be able to run well in 3d with a 670. When I used 3d it was with a single GTX570 and there wasn't too many games where the performance was bad. Don't get me wrong you won't be playing Metro 2033 in 3d but most others should run really well.

Back