Is this the most multi-threaded game there is?

Mr Evil

Limp Gawd
Behold, the first game I've seen where I was glad to have a 16C CPU instead of 8, or even 12.
M&B2_CPU.png

This is Mount & Blade II Bannerlord, running at 1440p with everything turned up, during a battle with the maximum 1000 combatants on the field simultaneously (over 2000 in total over the course of the battle).

Probably not; I recommend going over to the Processes tab and adding the "threads" column before making that declaration.

Remember, more threads != more performance; I've seen "plenty" of programs in my time using dozens or hundreds of threads that do nothing but suck performance due to dumb assumptions, incorrect threading methodology, or just plain bad design. I'm sure I can find a much worse performing program that uses more threads, making it, by definition, more multithreaded.

I mean CPU threads rather than software threads, so just spawning a load of threads that do nothing doesn't count.

Here's a screenshot of thread activity as shown by ProcessExplorer:
M&B2_Threads.png

Of the total 146 threads, exactly 32 are doing any real work. This looks very much like it's deliberately spreading the load to fit into all 32 CPU threads. I've never seen any other game manage to spread the load so evenly over so many cores.

Doom Eternal is probably the pinnacle.

It'll launch one thread... per hardware thread. There is no singular thread ever dedicated to a particular task. Whatever has time chews whatever work.

Edit: Also not all those threads are explicitly spawned by the game.

Last edited:
I mean CPU threads rather than software threads, so just spawning a load of threads that do nothing doesn't count.
There's no difference; if a thread is runnable, the OS will (eventually) get around to scheduling it. That's the entire point. Likewise, most threads do *very* low or short duration workloads, and thus don't get measured well by Task Manager or other tools, which again is the entire point.

Cyberpunk can also use up to 12 cores with rtx on (but the 5800 3d is even faster)

Beam.NG will use all of your cores. Just keep adding AI cars to the map.

It'll launch one thread... per hardware thread. There is no singular thread ever dedicated to a particular task. Whatever has time chews whatever work.

Would it reach 55% usage on a 5950X?

There's no difference; if a thread is runnable, the OS will (eventually) get around to scheduling it. That's the entire point. Likewise, most threads do *very* low or short duration workloads, and thus don't get measured well by Task Manager or other tools, which again is the entire point.
A CPU thread represents a set of physical resources. An OS thread is a software abstraction on top of that, but isn't the same thing. You could, for instance, have a process with 100 threads that only ever uses 1 CPU thread, which wouldn't be something I would call well multi-threaded.

Beam.NG will use all of your cores. Just keep adding AI cars to the map.
I suppose that like M&B2, Beam.NG is another simulation type game where the large number of entities in play at once all use CPU, and can be parallelized quite well.

well yeah, but the game is so embarrassingly easy to play, I hit 90 fps on Ultra settings on my ancient 1060 6gb + 4790k

So yeah, sure, its "multi-threaded," but ts such an easy game to run, most CPU reviews tend to be GPU-limited!

can anyone out there confirm on RTX 3090 / RX 3090 at 720p max that the game maxes-out more than 6 cores (see 5600x here , which is equal to Alder Lake OC, plus all the other Zen 3 cores!)

doom-eternal-1280-720.png

Last edited:
Back