Is this the correct device that I should be buying?

professional loser

Limp Gawd
Let's say that currently I have-

1) ISP's all-in-one modem/router
2) Work-PC (I want to keep 100% offline)
3) Play-PC (I want only this PC to have internet access)

Both my PC have two Ethernet ports and I want to be able to transfer files between the two PCs.
So one Ethernet cable goes directly from ISPs modem/router to Play-PC = Internet access only on Play-PC
Then I buy a switch like in the link below, use the unused second Ethernet port on each PC to connect to the new switch = file sharing between the two PCs but no internet on Work-PC as the router is independent/separate from the ISP provided modem/router.

My question, am I correct in my thinking and is this the correct device for sharing the files between the two PCs?

https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dgs-105-5-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch

Thanks

You don't need the switch, you can just run an ethernet cable between the two machines. Doesn't even need to be a crossover cable.

You will have to change settings so that they are able to share files and such (and depending on OS, prevent the Play PC from automatically serving internet to the Work PC).

You don't need the switch, you can just run an ethernet cable between the two machines. Doesn't even need to be a crossover cable.
Thanks for the reply. The thing is that there are 2 other PCs that I want to network too (to keep the question simple I had left that detail out, sorry.) All machines have Windows 10 Pro, only one has Windows 8.1.
So should I buy that switch that I linked?

prevent the Play PC from automatically serving internet to the Work PC).

In the below diagram, do I need to change any settings to stop Work-PCs getting internet access?

network-1.png

Well, that certainly makes things more interesting.

Yes, the switch will work for that setup, and all PCs will need to be a part of the same Workgroup with discovery and sharing turned on. To prevent internet sharing, you'll want to double check in the Ethernet Status>Properties>Sharing on Play PCs that Internet Connection Sharing is unchecked. You will also need to go into Update & Security on all the machines and make sure under Delivery Optimization that Allow downloads from other PCs is turned off, that way the offline machines won't be receiving Windows Updates (unless that's something you want, then turn it on).

But also, with this many machines, have you considered using the router to prevent the Work PCs from accessing the internet? Static IP plus a simple firewall setting to no WAN access and everything is happily networked, but not everything goes to the outside (I do this with one of my servers and a retro gaming PC). The Windows Update thing is still a setting that has to be individually set for each PC.

Well, that certainly makes things more interesting.

Yes, the switch will work for that setup, and all PCs will need to be a part of the same Workgroup with discovery and sharing turned on. To prevent internet sharing, you'll want to double check in the Ethernet Status>Properties>Sharing on Play PCs that Internet Connection Sharing is unchecked. You will also need to go into Update & Security on all the machines and make sure under Delivery Optimization that Allow downloads from other PCs is turned off, that way the offline machines won't be receiving Windows Updates (unless that's something you want, then turn it on).

But also, with this many machines, have you considered using the router to prevent the Work PCs from accessing the internet? Static IP plus a simple firewall setting to no WAN access and everything is happily networked, but not everything goes to the outside (I do this with one of my servers and a retro gaming PC). The Windows Update thing is still a setting that has to be individually set for each PC.

Thanks, your posts really helped.

Or you can set a static with no gateway which should prevent the devices from routing out.

Back