Is this the best year ever in PC gaming?

Best year ever in PC gaming?

• Yes

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 39 29.8%
  • Maybe So

Votes: 44 33.6%

• Total voters

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
This is definitely one of the best years if not the best ever. Probably went a little over kill cause I don't have the time to play all of these:

Got these to dateSTALKER
Call of Jaurez (didn't like)
DiRT (With a wheel, this is a fantastic driving game!)
Bioshock
Orange Box
TimeShift (Not well received by the media buy I like it)
Painkiller Overdose (could have skipped this one)

Got these to go:
Call of Duty 4 (Instant multi-platform hit)
FEAR: Perseus Mandate
Gears of War
Crysis (Greatest shooter ever?)
Kane & Lynch (Don't know for sure about this one yet)

So what do you guys think?

Crysis greatest shooter ever? Maybe you haven't seen the threads where everyone is whining about the 3 frames per second that they get on their dual 8800 Ultra machines. ;)

But even if it did run smoothly... To call it the greatest ever? How so? Because you can chop down trees? Come on now.

While there is a ton of great games...but there is also this nuget of gold covered in shit called DX10. So I voted no. If DX10 would have delivered...then yes, this would have been a golden year.

Ever? of course not, this question varies from person to person. Depends what year you started PC gaming. Personally I would say 97' to early 2000 were the best years for pc gaming. Is this a good year? better then last year in my opinion. I voted no as well

Sure DX10 isn't there yet, but we're just getting started with it. When the hardware get's there then it will bring benefit. No, its not going to revolutionize gaming, but games will be better.

As far as Crysis performance is concerned, yeah maybe this one could have waited for another generation of hardware, but I do the demo working at max settings on the sig rig @ 1280x768 and as a whole, its the best looking game I think I've seen, and many would agree. Hopefully some drivers and some fine tuning to the game itself will squeeze a little more performance out of it.

Team Fortress 2 and Cod 4 are two of the best games i've ever played so I'd say this has been the best year for me.

Well the last MMORPG worth spending money on was released several years ago so... I'd say, "no."

Had AoC been released and surprised everyone by not being total garbage then it would have been an astounding year. As it was we had delays for WAR and AoC and the only releases were either derivate cash cows and/or complete tripe.

It's been a good year for non-MMORPGs but as good as they are, they generally have lifespans measured in hours, not months/years.

Certianly in the last decade it is, there are some very high profile games out this year and still lots more coming before xmas, PC gamers have been spoilt rotten this year.

crysis is far from the greatest shooter ever. sorry.

you're forgetting ETQW in that list too. TF2 and ETQW (maybe COD4 too) make it the greatest year, at least for me.

I would have to say NO for me because the only military flight-sims available to buy this year were both re-builds of old sims from a long time ago. EE2 and BoB. This year completely sucks if you are into flight-sims. Actually, it has sucked for a long time now.

I would have bought DIRT if it wasn't for the fact they used Starforce copy protection. I expect they lost quite a few sales over that dumb choice of CP. Only game i am looking forward to buying for the rest of the year is The Witcher.

I would have to say NO for me because the only military flight-sims available to buy this year were both re-builds of old sims from a long time ago. EE2 and BoB. This year completely sucks if you are into flight-sims. Actually, it has sucked for a long time now.

I would have bought DIRT if it wasn't for the fact they used Starforce copy protection. I expect they lost quite a few sales over that dumb choice of CP. Only game i am looking forward to buying for the rest of the year is The Witcher.

Yeah, I'm no fan of StarForce, I wish they had used Steam, but I've not seen any issues with it this far (knock on wood) and it really is a great racing game.

I guess I should have narrowed my question to "Is this the best year for PC shooters ever?" I just don't ever remember this many good shooters coming out in one year.

prob the best year ever post year 2000.

best year ever for pc gaming was probably 1998 or 1999.

2004 was the golden year imo. So many of the great games this year are follow ups to the big guns in '04:

Far Cry
Half Life 2
Unreal Tournament 2004

'04 also brought us:

World of Warcraft
Rome: TW
Doom 3
The Sims 2
Dawn of War
Thief 3

This year definitely comes in second though.

ZOMG PC GAMING IS DEAD :rolleyes:

that was an agreement that yes, this year was awesome. not a "PC Gamers dont deserve as much" :p

Yes, good year. not necessarily the best... ive only been really interested in like 1 or 2 titles so far... (not counting orange box which i already own. )

Any UT release year is a good year. :) From the look & feel of the demo, it certainly looks like it will deliver again. :)

ZOMG PC GAMING IS DEAD :rolleyes:

Clap Clap, If anything discussions like this show that PC gaming is alive and thriving.

Anyway, how could you ever define the BEST of anything? What about games that created genres, like Wolfenstien? That was a pretty important year in the grand scheme of things.

the only thing wrong with this year is too many releases on the same day or week. IF they had spread out more there would have been less choosing and more buying.

How can you know now? Only time will tell what games measure up to be "great."

I voted yes, because this far, this year has provided the best games I've played in a long time.

- Enemy Territory Quake Wars takes the MP spot. Best Team Based Multiplayer game ever IMO.
- STALKER was very good too in the single player front.
- Shivering Isles was the best expansion yet.

And there's also the best single player demo ever, with Crysis. I've shared the same experience, as many others I've read around the web, where they say they've played this demo more, than most full games out there. And the full game is yet to be released...

Quake Wars and Crysis alone, make this year, one of the best this far.

It's a great year for shooters, that's for sure. I'm not so sure it's a great year for everything else.

*Yawn*, wake me up when Starcraft 2 comes out. Then we can start talking.

It's a great year for shooters, that's for sure. I'm not so sure it's a great year for everything else.

Not really. RTS also had one of the best years yet, with games like Company of Heroes and World in Conflict...

Racing games, were also quite good, especially with DIRT, but Sega RALLY Evo was also very good.

I don't know about sports though, since they're not part of my favorite type of games, but I've read that the latest FIFA and PES are quite good.

Holy crap, I just relized that UT3 is FINALLY coming out this month. Zomg!~~!!!

This question comes down to age and timing. The Golden Age of Gaming has come and gone, but that doesn't mean there aren't good products coming out. For me my favorite time was the 90's (being early and late). People during that time were just getting computers, understanding the software and hardware, and the excitement of 10 floppies or new tech like CD-ROM :) There was a exciting and varied amount of games. In all honesty, there is nothing new for gameplay now than what has already been created. Graphics has been king on the block for the past few years. There have only been a handful of actual new IP's, which is horribly disappointing. Games themselves are so easy a child could figure them out. Add on top that certain styles of games are more or less being put to pasture (I'm looking at you flight sim and adventure). But this is what the 'public' wants. But that's the crux we have, and we'll have to deal with it.

2004 was better, but only marginally so. Quality-wise, they are very similar. However I'm going to give 2004 the prize, since there were great games spaced out pretty evenly over the course of the year. Every time I would beat a game, or tire of the multiplayer of a game, a new one would pop up to take it's place. This year, half the games I plan to get are coming out within 45 days of each other.

Like everyone else, this year is a good year, but 2004 was overall better. I think the late 90's early 2000 to 2001 were the best years, at least for me. I just got into gaming and thanks to good old CS 6.1 beta, i got into computers as well.

This question comes down to age and timing. The Golden Age of Gaming has come and gone, but that doesn't mean there aren't good products coming out. For me my favorite time was the 90's (being early and late). People during that time were just getting computers, understanding the software and hardware, and the excitement of 10 floppies or new tech like CD-ROM :) There was a exciting and varied amount of games. In all honesty, there is nothing new for gameplay now than what has already been created. Graphics has been king on the block for the past few years. There have only been a handful of actual new IP's, which is horribly disappointing. Games themselves are so easy a child could figure them out. Add on top that certain styles of games are more or less being put to pasture (I'm looking at you flight sim and adventure). But this is what the 'public' wants. But that's the crux we have, and we'll have to deal with it.

are you kidding, you think an entertainment industry that hasn't even been around for more than 25-30 yrs has already seen its best? We haven't even finished laying down the groundworks for the truly masterful games that will probably come out. Once we master things like the graphics and the physics that will allow us to immerse ourselves fully into a game world, then the stories and gameplay will blossom at unthough of heights. Yes this is all conjecture, but I think there is a damn good chance that's how it'll go...

the only thing wrong with this year is too many releases on the same day or week. IF they had spread out more there would have been less choosing and more buying.

Exactly. I can't remember the last time so many good games came out. I can't believe there are so many "no" responses.

are you kidding, you think an entertainment industry that hasn't even been around for more than 25-30 yrs has already seen its best? We haven't even finished laying down the groundworks for the truly masterful games that will probably come out. Once we master things like the graphics and the physics that will allow us to immerse ourselves fully into a game world, then the stories and gameplay will blossom at unthough of heights. Yes this is all conjecture, but I think there is a damn good chance that's how it'll go...

We were talking about games, not simulations/matrix. You mention variables like physics and such. That doesn't make good games. You think better plot will come with graphics? How come we can write magic in books then? I understand there is a fine line, but there is a line. Sometimes newer and bigger is not necessarily better. It'll be neat one day to plug your brain in and go, but until then, we'll call these things we play "games".

Besides Denki, read the question from the OP: Is this the best year ever for PC gaming. What games from this year have really pushed boundaries, change ideas, changed tech. Nothing really. It doesn't matter anyways, because you use one area to validate you argument, while I use another...so it's really apples to oranges.

I got a feeling that noew 2008 and 2009 will be shitty years, since most companies blew their load in 2007. Like someone else said, so many games coming out within 45 days of each other... it's kind of ridiculous.

But since 2008 and 2009 won't have shit to play, well, I guess we'll have plenty of free time to play what we missed ;)

I know of only a handful of games to be released in 2008, but they are prone to delays, so who knows when we will see them.

I voted "yes", as for in terms of first-person shooters, I think it's the best year we've ever seen thus far, though who knows what the future holds.

The year Farcry was released was my best year previously.
However, we havent seen final versions of many games this year so I'll vote when the year is over :)

We were talking about games, not simulations/matrix. You mention variables like physics and such. That doesn't make good games. You think better plot will come with graphics? How come we can write magic in books then? I understand there is a fine line, but there is a line. Sometimes newer and bigger is not necessarily better. It'll be neat one day to plug your brain in and go, but until then, we'll call these things we play "games".

Besides Denki, read the question from the OP: Is this the best year ever for PC gaming. What games from this year have really pushed boundaries, change ideas, changed tech. Nothing really. It doesn't matter anyways, because you use one area to validate you argument, while I use another...so it's really apples to oranges.

You have misconstrued my arguement. You said the golden age of gaming has come and gone. Whoever said anything about simulations/matrix? is crysis not pushing the barriers of physics and graphics? I've honestly never seen a game so crisp and real, when something like crysis becomes mainstream, it allows more avenues for developers to tell a better story. How can a better engine NOT provide these things? How can having a wider array of abilities to create a game lead to worse games than when constructing games of 8 bit sprites and polyphonic sounds?

The Witcher is also pushing the front of story telling IMO. I've never played a game and had a decision come back so much later to make a difference. Of course such things are programmed into a game, but it truly does make the game much deeper. No longer can I just F9 quick reload if I don't like the outcome, I have to live with it, I have to make choices in the game that I will not be able to reverse the consequences of later.

You have games like Zack and Wiki pushing stylistic boundaries, making a beautiful game out of an underpowered console. Just like Ico and Shadows of the Colossus created beautiful games on the PS2 not through technical excellence, but rather artistic design.

You have BioShock, another great artistic game that is also technically brilliant looking. Its not the best looking game ever, but the style really pulls it all together and creates a cohesive world that its hard not to feel apart of. It had several interesting gameplay ideas, and the moral choice you made was quite significant. The method of story was also interesting, as you listened to the events that led to Rapture's downfall through recordings.

Yes, I do think this is the best year for gaming yet, and we have so many great games that have still not come out. I don't really see how you can say that none of these games are pushing the boundaries in style, story telling, graphics, and design in general.

Back