Is this the best looking game ever?!

WhoKnew

n00b
I am of course talking about The Witcher 3.
There's been a lot of controversy about this game's graphics going downhill from 2013 to 2015 because today's hardware isn't powerful enough. But man, even after the downgrade this game looks totally amazing.

Do you think this is the best looking rpg out there?
Take a look for yourself and decide.
Epic Video Here!:D

For the size and quality of the game, absolutely!

There are better looking games out there. I'd still say Crysis 3 probably looks better. It's also a boring, generic, on rails shooter. Sames goes for Ryse. Looks absolutely stunning, and it's one of the most boring "games" I've ever played.

I have seen some textures in it that I wish I could unsee. But overall it looks well enough.

Nice daylight cycle video. In the game is happens so seamlessly that you hardly notice.

For it's size and scope Witcher 3 is very good looking, but if you take the qualifers away it doesn't stand up to the smaller more linear graphical powerhouse games. Vanishing of Ethan Carter is crazy good looking, especially for an indie studio. Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light both look better than Witcher 3 on a technical level. Sleeping Dogs still stands up there, Tomb Raider has it's moments, and so on.

Looks good, I personally never believe videos that first come out from devs. They usually spice them up and enhance them above what you get in the finished product. It sells. It's called business.

This game has spectacular looking weather and foliage regardless.

Now add a SweetFX/Reshade config to it and it will look miles better.

I am using MasterEffect and the difference when toggling on/off is insane. This game needs tweaking.

Should slow it down sometimes , it's kinda a headache to absorb all the awesomeness of moving trees and stuff moving at 50x . See the barely can notice all the awesomeness at that fast honestly. IMO make another "Slower paced" movie..

and it's only going to get better looking with more graphics options and ini tweaks released by the developers...not to mention mods...I wish people would let go of the graphics downgrade theme...all games should look this good after a downgrade

The weather effects and environment/atmosphere are pretty remarkable in this game. NPC's take cover and huddle under roofs when it starts raining, there's a lot going on if you stop to notice.

Now add a SweetFX/Reshade config to it and it will look miles better.

I am using MasterEffect and the difference when toggling on/off is insane. This game needs tweaking.

Let me guess, boosted contrast, desaturation, massively crushed black levels. No, thanks.

In all the screen shots / videos I have seen, the character and vegetation really stands out. Looks like something from 2008-2009. The Witcher 2 looked decent. Not sure if it was the super sampling option I had on, but it looked like an over done sharpen filter in Photoshop.

I am sure the Witcher 3 looks better in game overall. Screen shots / videos never look as good as the actual game. But some areas certainly do look low end.

it looks great, but it's not a very good game. I'm not an RPG guy though. it sort of reminds me of WoW, in a good way. grand scale but you can move quickly.

In terms of raw visuals though, BF4 is still my number one.

Environment looks really nice. Characters still look like shit (comparatively speaking).

I'm a fan of the series, but I'm just not that impressed by #3's visuals. It's a great game in spite of them, IMO. Personally, I think lots of games look better including Crysis 3, the last two Far Cry Games, AC: Unity, GTA5, etc.

I'm a fan of the series, but I'm just not that impressed by #3's visuals. It's a great game in spite of them, IMO. Personally, I think lots of games look better including Crysis 3, the last two Far Cry Games, AC: Unity, GTA5, etc.

Crysis 3 benefited from being a linear shooter rather than a huge open world, FC3 looked great 3 years ago but isn't so special now (and 4 didn't add much). GTA5 is awesome, although the characters in TW3 are way ahead (esp. skin shading). Haven't played AC.

Looks pretty cool but it is lacking in water movements and ocean tides

Crysis 3 benefited from being a linear shooter rather than a huge open world, FC3 looked great 3 years ago but isn't so special now (and 4 didn't add much). GTA5 is awesome, although the characters in TW3 are way ahead (esp. skin shading). Haven't played AC.

View FC3 & FC4 back to back, 4 looks a good bit better.

Witcher 3 is probably tied, in my view, with Crysis 3 for having the prettiest graphics. However, the animations and textures in the Witcher 3 are the best I've ever seen. The facial animations, in particular, are ridiculously good.

you can like the game all you want, but there is no way in hell this is the prettiest game. The foliage is absolutely HORRIBLY ugly

Witcher 3 is probably tied, in my view, with Crysis 3 for having the prettiest graphics. However, the animations and textures in the Witcher 3 are the best I've ever seen. The facial animations, in particular, are ridiculously good.

a9wb.jpg

Lol TW3 isn't even close to Crysis 3.

For the size and quality of the game, absolutely!

There are better looking games out there. I'd still say Crysis 3 probably looks better. It's also a boring, generic, on rails shooter. Sames goes for Ryse. Looks absolutely stunning, and it's one of the most boring "games" I've ever played.

I agree with you that Crysis looks better, objectively. But putting Crysis 3 and Ryse on the same league gameplay-wise is a crime my friend. Crysis is by no means the mindless repetitive mess that Ryse is. It is also definitely not an on rails shooter, not even figuratively speaking (Of course you didn't mean an actual on rails shooter like Panzer Dragoon for an example).

I agree with you that Crysis looks better, objectively. But putting Crysis 3 and Ryse on the same league gameplay-wise is a crime my friend. Crysis is by no means the mindless repetitive mess that Ryse is. It is also definitely not an on rails shooter, not even figuratively speaking (Of course you didn't mean an actual on rails shooter like Panzer Dragoon for an example).

Crysis 2 & 3 were decent games. 3 was not an on rails shooter. If you say that then you never played the game. Crysis 1 and Warhead were considerably better games though.

I'm probably going to be alone here but I don't think it looks that great. First, and I know I am beating a dead horse, but having Geralts fugly face in the center just brings every scene down. My GOD he is ugly, like baseball bat to the face ugly. This is why I like the option to control my player character appearance ideally. I know that is part of his look, but man, dude has had a rough life.

Second, The effects seem well done but the world looks so... mundane. I am not sure how to describe it, but I almost prefer worlds that look more futuristic or more fantastical.

Trine was much lower graphical fidelity, but the world was far more beautiful in my eyes:

2139.jpg

The colors of the worls are richer than real life, and it looks better for it. Another live action example can be seen in the mad max fury road trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

The desert should be lifeless and stark, but it has added color saturation that makes the entire thing look more compelling and visually stunning.

Also, as dated as the engine for the mass effects games was, I find the art style orders of magnitude more compelling to look at visually:

Games2014MassEffect3.png

Even the art about the game looks crazy good:

18j2isoxs3ozajpg.jpg

Another dated game engine that looks surprisingly good and has inspired visuals:

2013-03-26_00008.jpg

I don't just want something faithfully recreating reality, I want something BETTER than reality, I want to be transported to a world where everything shines just a little brighter.

You couldn't have picked 3 worse games to compare really. There's dozens of games out there with better graphics than Witcher 3 but those aren't any of them.Almost every linear recent fps game is graphically superior so I'm not naming them but that's a start.

You couldn't have picked 3 worse games to compare really. There's dozens of games out there with better graphics than Witcher 3 but those aren't any of them.Almost every linear recent fps game is graphically superior so I'm not naming them but that's a start.

He is talking about the art style, which is subjective. Witcher 2 had a good art style for their type of game, IMO.

Beautiful game. Compared to Ethan Carter and Dragon Age: Inquisition the environments seem so much more alive. Even though I have a couple of the foliage settings turned down to medium on my SLI 670 system, it is still probably one of the prettiest games I have played. Not to mention extremely addictive - I somehow just lost 8 hours playing this amazing game.

Beautiful game. Compared to Ethan Carter and Dragon Age: Inquisition the environments seem so much more alive. Even though I have a couple of the foliage settings turned down to medium on my SLI 670 system, it is still probably one of the prettiest games I have played. Not to mention extremely addictive - I somehow just lost 8 hours playing this amazing game.

"Just one my question mark to check out...while im here"

I'm probably going to be alone here but I don't think it looks that great. First, and I know I am beating a dead horse, but having Geralts fugly face in the center just brings every scene down. My GOD he is ugly, like baseball bat to the face ugly. This is why I like the option to control my player character appearance ideally. I know that is part of his look, but man, dude has had a rough life.

Second, The effects seem well done but the world looks so... mundane. I am not sure how to describe it, but I almost prefer worlds that look more futuristic or more fantastical.

Trine was much lower graphical fidelity, but the world was far more beautiful in my eyes:

The colors of the worls are richer than real life, and it looks better for it. Another live action example can be seen in the mad max fury road trailer.

The desert should be lifeless and stark, but it has added color saturation that makes the entire thing look more compelling and visually stunning.

Also, as dated as the engine for the mass effects games was, I find the art style orders of magnitude more compelling to look at visually:

Even the art about the game looks crazy good:

Another dated game engine that looks surprisingly good and has inspired visuals:

I don't just want something faithfully recreating reality, I want something BETTER than reality, I want to be transported to a world where everything shines just a little brighter.

geralt ugly? bioshock infinite better looking than w3? wtf am i reading. witcher 3's art style is extremely fantasy-ish, the environment looks like an oil painting at times. sorry you don't like it but that doesn't make it bad. mass effect has probably one of the most overused, generic scifi art styles out there, btw. "compelling" lol.

Hey, Geralt is almost 100 years old and great majority of it has been about slaughtering monsters and getting slashed and mutilated by them when things don't go perfectly to the plan. And whatever free time has is spent drinking vodka with his friends. That kind of lifestyle does not make you look babyface pretty, no matter how much facial cream and botox you try to abuse. :D

Ethan Carter! I forgot about it, and that is a shame. How foolish of me, it is hands down the best looking game I have seen for years. And yes, it definitely is better looking than Witcher 3.

it is a very perdy game.. best.. hrmm.. not sure.. but does "best" matter? The graphic suck me in and make the game more enjoyable.

Here is a random 30min video in 4k. It might be the best looking open world game. yeah, the shots above, ME or BI.. those are set pieces and limited. (which there is nothing wrong with)
https://youtu.be/6nlYyCeyMVM

Back