Is this stuttering? Should I change cards for 2560x1600 (BF3)

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
I'm running 2 GTX570's in sli, these clocks are stock for the screenshot and I'm running latest drivers (getting some crashes, probably going to revert back to beta drivers).

Is this stuttering? (the end is when I tabbed out for paint):

gpustutter.png

Secondly, should I change to a different GPU(s) while my 570's still hold value, maybe wait for the new AMD releases and grab something from there? Since I'm gaming at 2650x1600 I know I can get better performance by switching, but is it worth it? At least while the cards still hold value.

I'm getting about 60fps in BF3 on high settings. I still feel laggy even though I know its not fps lag, so thats my whole reason for concern.

edit: Maybe there are some settings I can change in nvidia control panel for better overall performance?

depending on your settings, 1.25gb of vram is NOT enough for some areas in BF 3 at 2560x1600.

also if you have an i7, try turning HT off in the BIOS as it seems to be causing stuttering for some people.

Yeah I saw that thread and already turned off HT. The GPU's came before the Monitor, I'm perfectly willing to separate with them if need be.

Yeah I saw that thread and already turned off HT. The GPU's came before the Monitor, I'm perfectly willing to separate with them if need be.
lower the res to 1920x1200 and see if it still gives you the same laggy feeling.

Try turning down the settings and enabling one gpu only. I find that some games don't play nice with SLI or Xfire and even though you have 40+ fps it feels like less than 20. Switching to one gpu and lowering the settings to keep the fps above 30 can smooth things out a bit.

Disabling HT made a huge difference, but the GPU usage doesn't look too much different from the screenshot.

I'm not sure I need to change anything else, getting 60fps on high. If anything changes i'll try lower res or different settings.

Still the question stands though, is it worth getting rid of my 570's now while I can get ~200+ for each of them? Or should I wait till the new AMD releases... or even the new nvidia?

well what what you upgrade too? gtx570 2.5gb sli or 6950 2gb crossfire would basically be the same performance as your current setup at 2560x1600 except where you were running out of vram. gtx580 sli would hardly be any faster and the 3gb models of those are 600 bucks. 6970 crossfire would easily match gtx580 sli at 2560x1600 while being cheaper though.

You might want to close the monitoring software and try again. I've found in some games that EVGA Precision and MSI afterburner add a ton of stuttering and weird lag sometimes. Worth a try to run the game with all of your monitoring software off and see if it makes a difference.

Precision has a slightly noticeable hitch but it should only occur at evenly spaced intervals determined by the polling rate.

Looks like HT may have been the main issue. Everything is running much better now.

Although, a friend did offer me $500 for both 570's. Thats a pretty tempting price, and use that money to grab either 2x 6950's or 6970's. Thoughts?

i got 2 hd6950 2gb and run the same resolution. Plays bf3 with textures on ultra and everything else on high with a solid 60fps smooth as butter. I have a i7 sandy

nothing to upgrade to imo and yea fml this stuttering has got to stop ht on or off its their..

I suspect disabling ht simply made the cpu render slower and help keep the two gpus frames in sync. Try using a single gpu and test if ht creates the same problem.

As long as your CPU is fast enough, your GPUs should be at very high utilisation at that res. I never see any less than 89% on GPU2, and never less than 99% on GPU1 when I play BF3. If they aren't, and your CPU isn't holding you back, more video memory is needed. I'm using 1600MB per card at 2560x1600, and that's with deferred AA off, it'd be even higher with that on.

Back