Is this speed fair for WDC 640 blue 5400rpm?

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a mbp 2010 with 2 HDDs installed: Intel 80 SSD, and WD640blue as storage drive.

I was never satisfy with the 640 due to its incredibly slow speed. I used to dual boot Windows 7 and it would take close to 5 minutes to load up. I got fed up one day and deleted my windows partition all together and then reformatted the drive and recopied all my data back using ccc. To my surprise the drive is still as slow as before. I just ran xbench on it and the result didn't look all that good. Granted I only have 70GB of free space on it. My question is are these numbers healthy? I feel like these kind of drives shouldn't be this slow. Not even fast enough to watch 720p mkv files smoothly on (no problem after copying the file to my boot drive).

20110525-cw2mp1h7jmxs9ew4embr2g7199.jpg

Those do look a bit slow, are you able to run a benchmark like HDtune or ATTO.

I don't really have a frame of reference for the numbers above.

Doesn't seem out of line for a 320GB platter drive running at 5400. Within 10% anyway. You shouldn't be anywhere near having trouble streaming video off of it though, that's not a 100MB a second job, more like 1 or 2 MB a second for 720p H.264. Something else is going on.

Back