Is this Samsung Ram not compatible with my 990FX

ClockerXP

Gawd
Hi-

I bought this RAM on eBay. SAMSUNG DDR3 4GB M393B5270CH0-YH9

My motherboard, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 will not boot with this memory installed. All that will happen is my case fans turn on when I turn the computer on. I have other memory that the computer works just fine with. How can I tell is this RAM is defective or if it is just not compatible? It is not shown on the Gigabyte list (http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/memory_ga-990fxa-ud3.pdf) but I've never had RAM behave like this before.

Thanks,
ClockerXP

When I look it up on ebay, it says its REG ECC.
Maybe the board doesn't like that type. I thought AMD boards usually would run unbuffered ECC?

When I look it up on ebay, it says its REG ECC.
Maybe the board doesn't like that type. I thought AMD boards usually would run unbuffered ECC?

AMD boards can run unbufferred ECC RAM just fine depending on the motherboard. However, he apparently has registered ECC RAM. That's not the same as unbuffered ECC RAM.

AMD boards can run unbufferred ECC RAM just fine depending on the motherboard. However, he apparently has registered ECC RAM. That's not the same as unbuffered ECC RAM.

Yeah, I heard/researched about the unbuffered ECC running, but never researched registered.
I guess the OP needs to sell this and get the other.

Registered is buffered memory usually for workstations/servers and won't work in most desktops. Workstation/server motherboard like Supermicro H8SGL are more flexible in that it takes up to 64GB of ECC non-registered or 256GB registered ECC memory. Also, watch out for fake Chinese cr@p memory on Ebay. Only buy from a reputable source.

Back