Is this safe or will it kill my rig?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
So being that cardboard is not conductive I would assume this would be safe but I have no idea if static or anything else could build up so please let me know. I mean if I can run a mobo on the box it came in I would think this would be okay then.

Long story short my case has air vents at the bottom of it and my current apartment has carpeting and a cat. Can I put my case in a box that is lets say 30-40% the height of my case? Run it in there without issue?

Thanks

h6E6D53EE.jpg

Cardboard can be conductive under certain conditions (wet, contaminated or some types of paint) but the bare stuff usually isn't.

The case is grounded to the power supply, which is grounded to the earth through the mains so static can't build up unless there is something wrong with the ground in your electrical wiring. This is pretty rare and usually only happens in very old buildings which only had the two prong mains and no ground that was converted to 3 prong plugs improperly. Sometimes the ground was left floating, or was improperly grounded. Buildings with shoddy renovations are also subject to weird electrical problems.

Having the case sit on a cardboard box isn't going to be an issue unless the box collapses from the weight and lets the case fall.

I'd be more concerned with cat hair and dust, which can be a big problem with cases sitting on the floor. Make sure you use air filters on all of the intake fans and change them regularly.

Like stick the case in an open box? or on top of a box? The first one will kill airflow and give you some heat soak from lack of air being able to circulate properly. Second should be fine as long as it's sturdy.

So being that cardboard is not conductive I would assume this would be safe but I have no idea if static or anything else could build up so please let me know. I mean if I can run a mobo on the box it came in I would think this would be okay then.

Long story short my case has air vents at the bottom of it and my current apartment has carpeting and a cat. Can I put my case in a box that is lets say 30-40% the height of my case? Run it in there without issue?

Thanks

View attachment 193849
The cardboard box won't prevent pet dander and hair and such from getting into the chassis. You would be better off putting the case on a piece of wood or something, so you are not pulling the damn thing out of the box every two weeks to clean the air vents on the chassis. Elevating the case is a good call if dropping it on the carpet obstructs the air vents and fans (it's feet don't elevate it enough to clear the carpet).

With pets you will always have to be mindful of the filters / air vents getting clogged depending upon how much they shed and if they like chilling out around your PC case ;). Which they will probably love if if's cold and the system is running.

Cats are the worst on computer cases. I can't tell you how many computers I've had to decontaminate from "cat lady" houses from years of being pissed on.

Back