Is this quality network cable?

red should only be used for crossover cables in my opinion.
otherwise the cable looks ok.

TYVM.
Altex electronics wanted $80 for 500ft, so I'll grab some cable from these guys.

I had read before that most people have a color coding they use for
cables. What do you recommend? I need some serious color coding for my network.

TYVM.
Altex electronics wanted $80 for 500ft, so I'll grab some cable from these guys.

I had read before that most people have a color coding they use for
cables. What do you recommend? I need some serious color coding for my network.

to be honest with you, I have black, blue, yellow, and grey cables all over the place. I have made a few crossover cables, but I mark the ends with a sharpie, and or little tape flags.

to be honest with you, I have black, blue, yellow, and grey cables all over the place. I have made a few crossover cables, but I mark the ends with a sharpie, and or little tape flags.

Yeah. I don't have any coding either. Its pretty much all blue ATM. I have one orange cable that connects one on my Wireless APs to my switch. And I have a green cable somewhere...

I just got done redoing our network

Green - iSCSI SAN's Uplinks
Orange - iSCSI Switch 01
Pink - iSCSI Switch 02 - we never saw pink cables we said why not!
Blue - Private Network
Red - Public networks
Yellow - RJ11 Jacks in the office (all patch panels are RJ45)
White - MGMT Ports on network (switchs, UPS's, LOM on Servers)

Gray in the walls for each network drop

Red is for secret networks :D

haha, i was thinking the same thing.

and i think the so-called 'standard' is blue is your management and green is production. or vice-versa. not sure where i got that from though. maybe that's just the datacenter standard. you're not really supposed to make crossover/straight different colors. of course, you can do whatever you want...

I bought 2 boxes of blue from them. Its a little diff to work with compared to some other stuff, but it does work.

It is a cheaper grade.

Red is standard for crossovers a lot of places.
I mostly just use blue for runs and tag the cables unless I have 2 networks then one will be blue and the other grey.
What I will do is use yellow premade patch cables for interconnects. ie: router to switch, servers to switch etc.
Usually white premade cables from the patch panel to the switches.

Cables under 6 feet it just isn't worth messing with making and crimping them, I just buy them in bulk.

Crossover cables don't matter anymore generally. Recent 100Mbps hardware is auto-MDI-X and ALL gigabit hardware is as well.

Crossover cables don't matter anymore generally. Recent 100Mbps hardware is auto-MDI-X and ALL gigabit hardware is as well.
Doesn't always work well.
I have ran into several cases where a x-over cable was needed to get them to properly sync up.
The problem is connecting a auto-port to a auto-port and they end up synced different on each side.
This leads to some real pita to track down choke points in a network.

I would have gone with blue as well. Hope it crimps well for ya.

Haven't ordered it yet. Its at least 1-2 weeks before I order anything. But I did the math. Even though it would be usefull to have the cable laying around if I ever need it. I can grab some premade cables where I work for a couple bucks each, So for now I'll do that.

Odd. We always used red as high voltage, WARNING, cable. Which kinda morphed into t1 cable ( or, more generally, telco cable ).

i thought yellow use to be the standard color for crossover... hmf...

i just use whatever color i can get for the best price. but then again, i havent had to network anything REALLY important like a server room

Yup...true.
On my switch racks...I still try to color coordinate..simply for quick troubleshooting, or simply as a visual way to map out the patch panels, router, firewall, switches, etc.

I shoot for the common colors (blue/yellow/black) for all patch panel to switch connections
whatever I don't use from the above...such as blue..I'll use for the cables running to the servers.
Green I try to use for switch to the router/firewall/VPN
And if I can...short red ones for switch to switch uplinks. Even though crossover isn't needed anymore..(and the red ones often are wired straight) just helps in visual aid when staring at the comm rack.

i got 2 spools of that monoprice cable, very good. i like the boxes, they dont seem like they will fall apart. so its a win in my book. i use to do the cheapest cable from pricewatch i like monoprice cable more.

i usually do blue or gray for network cables, green for router to switch, black in patch panels.

Pretty good price IMO.
$15 shipping is what kills it though, I buy $75 each here locally after taxes.

That's what I was thinking... orange. But it's not like I ever followed the recommendations. To me a cable is a cable. It works or it doesn't.

yeah no matter what kinda cable u get, it should be color coded. even coax. for me its like this:

black coax from wall plate to splitter
green from splitter to modem
purple from splitter to cable box
blue from cable box to vcr
and yellow/pink polka dots for vcr to tv

Multi-mode is almost always orange, 10-gig mm fiber is baby-blue and single-mode fiber is usually yellow.

We color code in the CO's. Red/black/green are reserved for DC-power so we try to not use those for anything else. Blue are usually ethernet, gray for phone and put cable tab's at both ends indicating use and the port the far end leads to. PITA when installing but it makes life easy during an issue.

Huh. That's the color we use for trunks between switches.

By default; the fiber patches between switches are orange.

white is production for our firm, red crossover, blue mpls on 2 vlan, grey local network

yeah no matter what kinda cable u get, it should be color coded. even coax. for me its like this:

black coax from wall plate to splitter
green from splitter to modem
purple from splitter to cable box
blue from cable box to vcr
and yellow/pink polka dots for vcr to tv

Where the heck did you get polka dotted cable?

Red is for secret networks :D

Red is for SIPR; green for NIPR (unless you are in the Airforce and use blue for every damn thing); grey for DSN; orange for multimode; yellow for singlemode.

From reading this thread I am going to have problems if I stop working for DoD contracts and move to the civilian market.

red should only be used for crossover cables in my opinion.
otherwise the cable looks ok.

and i think the so-called 'standard' is blue is your management and green is production. or vice-versa. not sure where i got that from though. maybe that's just the datacenter standard. you're not really supposed to make crossover/straight different colors. of course, you can do whatever you want...

Colors are used interchangeably. There is no standard of color that should be used or protocol which states which color is better than the others.

I've seen data centers use one color before, others used colors depending on the length, others used colors on the priority of the cables, others used colors dependent upon the customer. There really isn't a right or a wrong way, whatever will help technicians easily identify the cable (to them) that they need to fish.

Odd. We always used red as high voltage, WARNING, cable. Which kinda morphed into t1 cable ( or, more generally, telco cable ).

Being shocked by a T1 line is interesting to say the least.

Huh. That's the color we use for trunks between switches.

By default; the fiber patches between switches are orange.

There is no standard of colors on ethernet, this also applies to fiber. The more recent 50/125's are now aqua colored, the traditional has always been Orange, but Pink is not uncommon, nor is Blue, Green, or Red. Yellow has traditionally been used for SM optical cable, but not even that is really a standard anymore.

Doesn't matter how much current they generally carry because that's not how much current they would carry through you. It only takes 50mA (0.05A) to kill you.

Doesn't matter how much current they generally carry because that's not how much current they would carry through you. It only takes 50mA (0.05A) to kill you. T1 is +/- 12v.

New copper T1's are running AC over the lines and IIRC are about 100v, but low amperage. It's enough to wake you up. If you have a fault and a T1 line was arched, you could get up to 600v waking you up.

New copper T1's are running AC over the lines and IIRC are about 100v, but low amperage. It's enough to wake you up. If you have a fault and a T1 line was arched, you could get up to 600v waking you up.

Oh. My bad.

I normally use blue or gray cable for installations...most people don't care what color it is inside the wall...

we use red as the T1/WAN, orange for crossover, gray for the wall, green for server to switch/patch panel and blue for everything else. one of the techs that i work with has a sick portable label maker that lets you create a label that wraps around the cable and doesn't stick out.

i never had an issue with monoprice and their cables are always the best of quality(from what i can tell). the prices are so cheep that i don't crimp anything less then 24 feet.

Back