Is this pic real or fake?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I am here at work and co-workers and I are not sure what to make of it.

Either way its cool pic

Dolphin-surfer.jpg

They are saying it is a dolphin but it does not look like one.

D1.jpg

I'd say they are deffinately not fake.. I also think it's a dolphin (you see things like this in FL and Hawaii all the time) but I'm not really a marine biologist. I saw a video that had a shark in a wave like that. heh... Deffinately cool pictures though.

if you notice on the second pic where the tail of the animal there is sudden drop off, that is a characteristic of a dolphin or other aquatic mammal and the fact that no shark has a fluke ( tail fin ) shape like that and the fluke is horizontal a trait of mammals. The first one is probably a dolphin because of you can make out the bottlenose. So it's pretty likely that both are dolphins, porpises, or other small aquatic mammal. As far as those pics being real I wouldn't doubt it, but you never know some people have extreme talent in the photo-manip field

my $.02

It's a shark...dolphins tails go up and down while sharks go side to side...so one's horizontal and the other is verticle...the one in the pic looks like it goes side to side (verticls) so that would mean it's a shark...BTW...I bet that shark got a full tummy soon after that pic was takin (if it IS a real pic)...THANX
C'YA :cool:

EDIT: After closer looking I have come to the conclusion that this is a dolphin...the fin goes up and down...PLUS it IS a real pic cause it says so on the guys internet site and offering it as a poster and you'd prolly be able to tell if it's a real pic or not at poster size...he'd be sued for false advertising since it's being advertised as a "real photograph" and not a fake...

Umm .. It's a Dolphin .. and I'm pretty sure that's a real pic .. I've seen it many times ..

Shark
shark.jpg

Dolphin
dolphin.jpg

I still see a shark - look at the head in the 1st pic and then your dolphin pic

From what I can see it does look real - the entire picture shows constant frames in Photoshop for me.

It is a real pic, and it is a dolphin. I live right near an inlet, and we get dolphins and porpoise that come out from the river all the time. Once in a blue moon I'll see this happen at the beach, dolphins will kind of ride inside a wave, not really swimming at all.

Need the proof, just look at the fin and tail... not at all characteristic of a shark. The tail runs horizontal (i.e. dolphin), unlike a shark. Besides, the fin alone is enough to know its a dolphin. Look at the pics NightWolfe posted.

It's a dolphin!

We lived right on the beach in Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa for 10 years, virtually
every morning we had a school of dolphins 'surfing' the waves infront of our house. The
Natal coast is also sports Zambesi, Ragged-tooth, Great White and at least 10 other less
glamorous species of shark.

Exhibit A - Shark Anatomy
shark.jpg

* Sharks have two sets of dorsal fins (a is called the first dorsal, and b the second dorsal.
* A shark's caudal fin (c) sits in the same plane as it's dorsal fins.
* A shark's first dorsal is not bent (swept backward)

Exhibit B - Dolphin Anatomy
dolphin.jpg

* Dolphins have only one dorsal fin.
* A dolphin does not have caudal fin, but a fluke, which is perpendicular to the dorsal.
* A dolphin's dorsal is swept backward.

Dorsals.gif

Exhibit C - The Image
ExhibitA.jpg

This is an 'enhanced' version of the original image. I have boosted the green channel by
200% to improve the contrast of objects under the water, and run a remove noise filter to
minimise interference of sparkles on the water.

A: The rostrum of a dolphin is clearly evident (albeit with some wave distortion).
B: The dorsal is swept backward.
C: Illustrates the lack of a second dorsal, replaced by the characteristic muscular tail
bulge unique to dolphins (see 2)
D: The perpendicular 'curly bracket' fluke of a dolphin

Oh and of course the well known tendency of dolphins to 'surf'.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum. ;)

Lord .. thanks for expalining .. they say a picture is worth a thousand words .. I guess sometimes that's not enough ....

Well, I seriously suck at overclocking and protein folding, I'm too busy to do
all the über-l337 case-mods I am capable of, I can do some pretty impressive proofs on
n-dimensional vector algebra, but they are of little use to the [H] ... so I am forced to score
my weekly tally of GeekPoints™* in marine biology! :D

* A new credit rating (to possibly replace post-count), proposed by JediFonger! ;)

lol ...you should be working for the CIA or somthing, analizing photos taken from outerspace. maybe you can help our president find those WOMD's :p

good stuff :D

Dolphin see them all the time over here! That is a real pic :) Very cool to surf with the dolphins.

Lord Hyperion said:
Well, I seriously suck at overclocking and protein folding, I'm too busy to do
all the über-l337 case-mods I am capable of, I can do some pretty impressive proofs on
n-dimensional vector algebra, but they are of little use to the [H] ... so I am forced to score
my weekly tally of GeekPoints™* in marine biology! :D

* A new credit rating (to possibly replace post-count), proposed by JediFonger! ;)

Great explanation :)

I think id piss my *wet suit* if i was that surfer guy. I would so be screaming JAWS!! ( even if it was a dolphin ) :eek:

It's a dolphin... there's a website somewhere with all the pics of it after it surfaces.

nobody got...owned :rolleyes:
we are not 15 yr olds playing counter strike...we just all got educated

Despite all the shark/dolphin clamor, that's an AWESOME picture. Just got back from the beach, but have never seen anything like that :D

666 said:
nobody got...owned :rolleyes:
we are not 15 yr olds playing counter strike...we just all got educated

He He He, Muttsta, I'm flattered! ;)

However, I must agree with 666, it's not about measuring pee-pees, it's about creating
an atmosphere of constant learning and self improvement. I just hope that everyone else
sees it the same way.

Back