Is this normal for rtx cards ?

My Zotac 2080 stays silent while gaming and seems to not go much over 70C either. It has 3 fans on it though, so they don't have to spin as fast as 2 fans would to keep it as cool. I've been really happy with its performance and acoustics so far.

Lowering power target reduces maximum performance but also keeps the card cooler, so actually you might have just as good sustained performance while running cooler with less power draw. Even at 80% power target you should have about 95% of the performance. In fact even with as low as 65% power target you can still achieve >90% of stock performance in my experience, which really gives you insane perf/watt.

Its vertical installed with a bracket
Well seeing as the case from the pictures I see has a tempered glass side panel I'd say that you are suffocating the card. Video card coolers are designed with the expectation that they're going to be mounted in a standard horizontal fashion. If you look at thermal analyses that have been done vertical mounting can increase temp delta by as much as 10 degrees Celsius compared to horizontal mounting.

Well seeing as the case from the pictures I see has a tempered glass side panel I'd say that you are suffocating the card. Video card coolers are designed with the expectation that they're going to be mounted in a standard horizontal fashion. If you look at thermal analyses that have been done vertical mounting can increase temp delta by as much as 10 degrees Celsius compared to horizontal mounting.
I do think the Op should open the side panel to rule out any air flow issues.

Yeah you are damm right !
Im gona call the store tomorrow and RMA this garbo.. That is what they get for saving on materials to much on pruducts..i bet they are told on the factory not to use much thermal paste to save money.

Well.. I quickly read through the thread... you say only 1 fan is ramping up speed. That seems odd by itself. They should all run at the same speed unless you have manually set the fans to not be linked.

Since it sounds like you haven't done that, my guess is that there is something wrong with the fan controller on the card.

If only one fan is ramping up speed, that is most likely why you are seeing such high temps. I would expect all 3 to ramp up to around 3000rpm which should net you lower temps and a quieter system.

My 2080 only has 2 fans and even overclocked it doesn't get loud at all... and I have a more aggressive than stock fan curve set up as well.

https://wccftech.com/review/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-oc-graphics-card-review/4/

If we look there, we can see that the heatsink on the OP's card is actually all one piece for the memory and GPU, unlike some other brands that use two pieces. One of the drawbacks of that design is that the thickness of the pads between the memory chips and the heatsink matters a lot, and if the pads are too thick, they'll actually stand the heatsink off of the die just a hair, causing a behavior like the OP is seeing. Older cards would just crash, but Turing cards adjust their frequency so fast they can actually spin back down before they overheat. It's possible that the board itself is defective, and it's doing this for some other reason, but I'd bet money that this is what's going on.

The smart thing to do here is just RMA this card and hope you get a replacement that doesn't have this problem, but what I would do in the OP's position is remove the heatsink and then reinstall it with fresh grease, but no pads at all between the memory chips and the heatsink. If this fixes the problem, then get thinner pads and leave Gigabyte a nasty review for being sloppy. I made a thread a few weeks ago where I restored a dead Radeon 290X, and I talked in that thread afterwards about how it took me several tries to get the pads the right thickness for this same reason. I kept using pads that were too thick, and the heatsink actually wouldn't touch the die at all. I eventually arrived at 0.5mm.

The OP could be forgiven for not wanting to go through all that hassle, which was a pain in the ass even though I had plenty of new pad material in various thicknesses on hand already.

Also, I have two Turing cards, while only one of them has fans, it seems to spin them up independently. It's a lot more liberal with the one actually over the GPU die than it is with the one that's closer to the power regulation. The other card lists two fan channels in Precision (it's an MSI card, though), but doesn't have fan profiles programmed, since it came with a water jacket.

Well.. I quickly read through the thread... you say only 1 fan is ramping up speed. That seems odd by itself. They should all run at the same speed unless you have manually set the fans to not be linked.

Since it sounds like you haven't done that, my guess is that there is something wrong with the fan controller on the card.

If only one fan is ramping up speed, that is most likely why you are seeing such high temps. I would expect all 3 to ramp up to around 3000rpm which should net you lower temps and a quieter system.

My 2080 only has 2 fans and even overclocked it doesn't get loud at all... and I have a more aggressive than stock fan curve set up as well.

The thing is..there are 3 fans but 2 of em are linked like fan 1. Then the middel fan is called fan 2 and stands alone because it spins the other way than the first and last fan on the card.
So its the first and last fan that spins to 4400 ish and the middel stays on 2200 ish like it should..

On the giganbyte forum theer was one guy with same problem. He aplied new grease/paste and solved it.
But i spoke with the store today and they created a RMA. So now the card will eventualy come back to Gigabyte for reseach and reaply paste.
Its not only gigabyte cards..its also evga cards..strangely i havent found any strix cards forums with same problems..

https://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/8582/gigabyte-windforce-2080ti-issues-turns?page=1&scrollTo=39800

I dont agree with you..there are 6 fans cooling down the case and its not over 10 degree outside..its fing cold here in Denmark :D..also the card dosent rise over 76 temp..i have seen cards on 85 temp with out this problem of fan ramping

I dont agree with you..there are 6 fans cooling down the case and its not over 10 degree outside..its fing cold here in Denmark :D..also the card dosent rise over 76 temp..i have seen cards on 85 temp with out this problem of fan ramping
If the card's fans are right up against the glass, though, they struggle to get enough air into them to do any cooling. You actually might see better results if you mounted the card normally.

I said 10C delta which is compared to room temperature, meaning the card would most likely run up to 10C cooler if it were mounted horizontally/normally when compared to whatever environment your PC is in.
If the card's fans are right up against the glass, though, they struggle to get enough air into them to do any cooling. You actually might see better results if you mounted the card normally.
Even if it wasn't up against the glass the intake airflow isn't going to be providing as much fresh air as it could if the card were mounted normally. I know there are newer vertical mounting systems that are closer to the motherboard, but the air is still going to end up blowing around the card instead of through it.

Honestly since warranty void if stickers are removed has become illegal I see no reason not take anything apart now and just swap the thermal paste. Just swapping the paste in my PS4 pro turned it from a jet engine to whisper quite. Seems all companies cheap out on the paste or incorrectly apply it at factory. We shouldn't have to do this but we have too.

Seriously? This is like cooling things not to do 101. These vertical mounts are always an epic cooling failure. Only recommended for liquid cooled cards. IIRC Gamers Nexus stopped testing these as they are such an epic fail, it's pointless to even consider:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3370-cooler-master-cosmos-c700m-review-vs-c700p
Note, Vertical GPU is over 20 Degrees Celsius hotter than stock:

cm-c700m-gpu-thermals_only.png

Vertical GPU mounts are the ultimate in Fashion over Function failures.

Last edited:
Still 76 temp is still good,,its not like its 85 or 90 and yes i guess company cheap out on paste..shame on them

They ar enot right up against the glass..there is like 8-10 inch away from the glass

Repasting is easy and in 90% of cases is worth it.
100% agree!
examples:
1. x570 chipset cooler on aorus ultra: removed factory tim, replaced with mx4 dropped 7-10 degrees
2. EVGA 1080 FTW2: dropped 5-10 degrees and stays right at 2000Mhz when gaming with quiet fan profile set.
3. xbox 1 x: fan would get audible when gaming, after it barely ramps up anymore.
4. 6700K de-lidded and repasted: dropped 20 degrees easy.

Still 76 temp is still good,,its not like its 85 or 90 and yes i guess company cheap out on paste..shame on them
Bottom line is if you're not happy about the fans ramping up under load then mounting the card horizontally will most likely prevent the fans from spinning up as fast.

Seriously? This is like cooling things not to do 101. These vertical mounts are always an epic cooling failure. Only recommended for liquid cooled cards. IIRC Gamers Nexus stopped testing these as they are such an epic fail, it's pointless to even consider:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3370-cooler-master-cosmos-c700m-review-vs-c700p
Note, Vertical GPU is over 20 Degrees Celsius hotter than stock:

View attachment 226202

Vertical GPU mounts are the ultimate in Fashion over Function failures.
They should be fine with blower type cards or water cooled cards. Putting multiple Fan cooled cards in a case you start adding a hell a lot of heat into the case. Yes fan cooled GPUs do not work well vertically mounted. Now from my experience the best cooled case was a Silverstone rotated motherboard case with fresh air blowing up from the bottom between the cards out the top, there was insignificant amount of difference in temperature with two GPU's. On horizontal cases, the top card tends to run hotter.

HeatsinkFins.jpg

The reason why for fan cooled cards have higher temperatures, physically positioned vertical is due to how the GPU cooling fins are designed directing the air flow across the video card vice long wise. Half of the hot air is ejected out the lower side or bottom, when vertically mounted, a large portion of that bottom ejected hotter air is sucked or recycled right back into the fans. On horizontal mounted cards where you have two cards the lower card hotter air can hit the upper card causing it to see higher temperatures. The glass door in the below configuration just adds to directing the hotter air from the bottom of the card right back into the fans suctions:

VerMounted.jpg
Blower cards/Water Cooled cards would not be affected by this configuration.

100% agree!
examples:
1. x570 chipset cooler on aorus ultra: removed factory tim, replaced with mx4 dropped 7-10 degrees
2. EVGA 1080 FTW2: dropped 5-10 degrees and stays right at 2000Mhz when gaming with quiet fan profile set.
3. xbox 1 x: fan would get audible when gaming, after it barely ramps up anymore.
4. 6700K de-lidded and repasted: dropped 20 degrees easy.

Never thought to put new paste under my chipset. Im sure MSI has some watery tooth paste under theirs. I might as well replace all the thermal pads on the VRMs while the mobo is out.

Never thought to put new paste under my chipset. Im sure MSI has some watery tooth paste under theirs. I might as well replace all the thermal pads on the VRMs while the mobo is out.
usually it's thick crap that dries out and prevents contact with the hsf. xbox 1x had the same crap. all dried out and flaky.

The reason why for fan cooled cards have higher temperatures, physically positioned vertical is due to how the GPU cooling fins are designed directing the air flow across the video card vice long wise. Half of the hot air is ejected out the lower side or bottom, when vertically mounted, a large portion of that bottom ejected hotter air is sucked or recycled right back into the fans. On horizontal mounted cards where you have two cards the lower card hotter air can hit the upper card causing it to see higher temperatures. The glass door in the below configuration just adds to directing the hotter air from the bottom of the card right back into the fans suctions:

Blower cards/Water Cooled cards would not be affected by this configuration.

To make it worse, that DG-77 case is a serious hot box. I literally put my DG-76 in a drum liner and the garbage men took it 2 weeks ago. Perfectly good case, just a shit design. Replaced with an NZXT H510 and runs at least 15c cooler on average.

OP - RMA the card, or repaste and enjoy. Its not hard to repaste if you can't RMA.

Last edited:
Back