Is this normal for an IPAD?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So I have an Ipad pro 12.whatever it is. It is from 2015.

If I watch movies on it and have it on high brightness, I can plug it in the whole time, but I always end up running out of charge.

Without lowering the brightness, is this pretty typical?

I ask because my galaxy Tab s3 did not have this issue. Just making sure it is typical and cannot be fixed.

So, while watching movies, it runs out of juice even when it's connected to a charger? If so, that's definitely not right.

Yeah, that ain't right at all. Might need a visit to the geniuses at the Apple Store.

Are you using the OEM charger? Is it the OEM cable?
I ask because I've had issues with both regarding third party (chargers not being able to deliver the correct wattage, and cables being too low AWG to properly transfer enough wattage). If so, I'd check that first. Or alternatively a damaged cable might exhibit some problems.

I'd check those things first if you can. Otherwise get it checked out.

Normal if not on a high capacity usb - ipads use more power than a standard usb can provide.

Normal if not on a high capacity usb - ipads use more power than a standard usb can provide.

This might actually be the right answer. If OP has his iPad plugged into just a standard USB charger or basically any charger that isn't the actual one that came with his iPad then it could be that it's not supplying enough juice while watching at full brightness.

Need details on the charger your using. If it's OEM or not, or wattage rating. I notice on my iPad Mini 3 that if I have it plugged into the normal 5W charger that it's barely enough power to keep the iPad at the same charge level while using it.

Yeah, details needed. Not all USB chargers/ports are created equal. Not even close, actually.

That being said, an Apple branded wall charger made for iPads (or better yet, the one that came in the box WITH the iPad) should do what you need just fine.

So I have an Ipad pro 12.whatever it is. It is from 2015.

If I watch movies on it and have it on high brightness, I can plug it in the whole time, but I always end up running out of charge.

Without lowering the brightness, is this pretty typical?

I ask because my galaxy Tab s3 did not have this issue. Just making sure it is typical and cannot be fixed.

Are you using the Apple adapter?

This is a clear sign the power adapter isn't providing enough juice.

Also, you aren't charging via a computer or hub USB connection are you? If so, that is definitely your problem.

You want to use a 12W (iPad) charger NOT a 5W (iPhone) charger if using OEM Apple chargers.

Back