Is this normal for a new card? (highres image inside)

nakedhand

2[H]4U
posting this here, though it has been posted in case modding (with the DYI crowd, but getting no responses...

Just received this brand new ASUS HD6870 from newegg and the PCB is super dirty. I have never seen anything like this, and have owned maybe 15-20 video cards.

asushd6870residue.jpg

How do I safely get rid of this residue?

Should I try installing it to see if it is DOA?

Real eager to find out... any input much appreciated.

rubbing alcohol and a Qtip.

yes install it.

the fingerprint is funny if it's not yours.

Certainly some gooo on there. Its normal to see a little residue on a new card once in a while. My 5970, when i just got it, had some finger prints / almost sticky crap on it. Try some Isopropyl alcohol on your gooo. Beyond that, im not sure whats stronger but still safe for the PCB / components.

That's really surprising poor quality control. It may be fine, but I personally wouldn't keep it.

rubbing alcohol and a Qtip.

yes install it.

the fingerprint is funny if it's not yours.

OK, will give it try like this, just to make sure it actually works. I dont touch the PCB at all, ever. No reason to really. So no, not mine. There are fingerprints all over the board :mad:

Certainly some gooo on there. Its normal to see a little residue on a new card once in a while. My 5970, when i just got it, had some finger prints / almost sticky crap on it. Try some Isopropyl alcohol on your gooo. Beyond that, im not sure whats stronger but still safe for the PCB / components.

Looks like I am going out for some isopropyl alcohol now, and some cotton based Qtips. Thanks for your input.

That's really surprising poor quality control. It may be fine, but I personally wouldn't keep it.

That is what I am thinking. It looks like it taken a "dity beating". I will be sending my pictures to ASUS. It may be fine, but still it seems like a very sloppy job and unproper handling by the workers at ASUS.

Thanks for all your input. Would still like to hear of other safe chemicals to use if anyone knows.

yeah try it all and install
but I am shocked it is from asus
are you sure you didn't drop it in cake mixin
haha j/k

contact newegg asap in case something

The dust and etc won't shorten the lifespan of the product, and as others said you can clean it and your fine. However it doesn't bode well for the actual build quality of product if it has been exposed like that. Also could have been a test card, by the number of finger prints. Your call, I would RMA. Especially early so your likely to still get a new card.

I would tell Asus about it (maybe score a better card or something ;) ) but keep it and just stress test it alot and if it works fine than don't worry about it.

The dust and etc won't shorten the lifespan of the product, and as others said you can clean it and your fine. However it doesn't bode well for the actual build quality of product if it has been exposed like that. Also could have been a test card, by the number of finger prints. Your call, I would RMA. Especially early so your likely to still get a new card.

Good to hear. It might look like dust, but its some thick gonk/goo. I would hate this to have been a test card.. GRRRRR!! Discount/reimbursement now! It looks like a demo product.

I would tell Asus about it (maybe score a better card or something ;) ) but keep it and just stress test it alot and if it works fine than don't worry about it.

I have written ASUS and linked to the images. I am not going to accept this without some sort of compensation.

I am getting silly low scores in Unigine 2.1 compared to other test using the same settings. Less than 25% of what I should be getting!

Though my system is not i7 or DDR3, that shouldnt be the answer here. I am running no MLAA or forcing other AA from CCC. Real strange! Will continue with other tests now.

Though my system is not i7 or DDR3, that shouldnt be the answer here. I am running no MLAA or forcing other AA from CCC. Real strange! Will continue with other tests now.

Your Q9550 is more than enough. I see RMA, in your future....

Aren't all these PCB's manufactured by the same company somewhere (In China I assume?).

Your Q9550 is more than enough. I see RMA, in your future....

You see well. I just heard from ASUS, who told me to send it back to newegg for a replacement. This SUCKS! :mad: ...since I live in Europe and its a huge hassle. I am pissed off now.

Aren't all these PCB's manufactured by the same company somewhere (In China I assume?).

There is bound to be many many plants and factories around. I wouldnt be surprised if ASUS just employs a plant with crew for hire when they need a job like this done.

Oh well atleast newegg RMA's are quick and easy. Make them pay for the return shipping too ;)

That looks almost like a bad refurb card and the 6870 was just released!!

while it looks dusty. it honestly looks like some one over did it with the cleaning chemical they use on the cards before shipping them out. i would run it for a while see if cooks off as the card heats up. but you'll know when it starts smelling funny in the room when the cards running full load. my 8800GT looked exactly the same when i swapped heatsinks. i knew the card was brand new based on the serial number. my room stunk hella bad for a week while the stuff cooked off.

other possibility is you got one of the few test cards sent out to some one that was then returned and resold but doubt that. doesnt look like theres anything on there that would cause damage. id just save the pictures in case you have to rma it later on down the road so they cant claim you physically damaged the card or something.

My XFX 6850 sort of looked the same, to a much lesser extent. It's running fine.

i'm sure it'll run fine, but rma it and get a new one if you're not satisfied, that's the great thing about newegg

That looks almost like a bad refurb card and the 6870 was just released!!

Yes, and it was bought on the release day.

while it looks dusty. it honestly looks like some one over did it with the cleaning chemical they use on the cards before shipping them out. i would run it for a while see if cooks off as the card heats up. but you'll know when it starts smelling funny in the room when the cards running full load. my 8800GT looked exactly the same when i swapped heatsinks. i knew the card was brand new based on the serial number. my room stunk hella bad for a week while the stuff cooked off.

other possibility is you got one of the few test cards sent out to some one that was then returned and resold but doubt that. doesnt look like theres anything on there that would cause damage. id just save the pictures in case you have to rma it later on down the road so they cant claim you physically damaged the card or something.

It might look like dust, but its not its residue of some sort. I dont really care what it might have been by now. A tester is a good guess, but then internally I think. Newegg has no part in this though, as it was sealed when I got it.

I am talking to ASUS now and they have seen the images.

My XFX 6850 sort of looked the same, to a much lesser extent. It's running fine.

This is not running fine on top of being ugly and mistreated. It is going back.

I dont think its OK to let things like this slip through QC. It has clearly been mishandled. If ASUS dont show some grace, I am just not going to go ASUS again. You cant pack and seal something like this if you want to taken seriously as a high tech company by the end user.

Contact Asus Europe, I am sure they would RMA it for you. I own 4 Asus branded cards. And been satisfied with them personally. Returning to Newegg is not an option since your in Europe. Unless they have a Euro branch, which I don't know to be honest.

Almost looks like the vga cooler got put backwards, and the "goo" is actually thermal paste. :D

Almost looks like the vga cooler got put backwards, and the "goo" is actually thermal paste. :D

LOL :D

I can picture this.

Anyway, I talked to ASUS x many! All in all, ASUS blames newegg.com, and tell me that they probably sold me "open box" and resealed it. Completely washing their hands and accusing a major retailer of fraud. Good job ASUS :eek:

So I am at a point where I am so pissed with ASUS customer service unwillingness to take responsibility, that I am seriously considering leaving the brand all together. :mad:

Will return it to newegg, get a refund and get a non ASUS video card next. And build all my future machines, plus the 10+ machines I usually build for friends and family every few years without anything ASUS in them (pretty much ASUS MBs since mid 90s sigh).

LOL :D

I can picture this.

Anyway, I talked to ASUS x many! All in all, ASUS blames newegg.com, and tell me that they probably sold me "open box" and resealed it. Completely washing their hands and accusing a major retailer of fraud. Good job ASUS :eek:

So I am at a point where I am so pissed with ASUS customer service unwillingness to take responsibility, that I am seriously considering leaving the brand all together. :mad:

Will return it to newegg, get a refund and get a non ASUS video card next. And build all my future machines, plus the 10+ machines I usually build for friends and family every few years without anything ASUS in them (pretty much ASUS MBs since mid 90s sigh).
I remember my Asus 4870 died and I sent it back to Newegg and they sent me.

I was all excited like "wow is this a new design 4870, it's really short and must be efficient with now 6pin connectors...." then i was just like <_<.

Newegg didn't know how it happened lol

Back