Is this normal behavoir for a 7950GX2?

milkweg

[H]ard|Gawd
EVGA sent me a 7950GX2 as replacement for a defective 7900GT. Installed it into XP PC and everytime I install drivers the screen goes scrambled at the end of the driver install. If I hit the reset button on my PC then the screen is fine and it seems the drivers are installed fine. No issues in any games anyway. Everytime I boot up though my screen flashes on and off about three to four times at XP startup and clicking on the Nvidia icon in the system tray makes the screen flash off/on once too. Since then I bought an 8800GT and put that in my XP PC with no issues at all. Moved 7950GX2 to Vista PC and while I don't get the scrambled screen I do get the on/off screen flashes at startup like on XP and right clciking my desktop also causes the on/off screen. Is this just the way this dual video card is or is it a mb compatibility? I see neither of my mb's is on the 7950GX2 compatibility list. Nice of EVGA to send me a better card but they shouldn't be doing that unless they know it is compatible with the customers system. For all they know I may not of even had a PSU powerful enough for 7950GX2.

Quick! Send it to me before it destroys everything!!

Seriously though, when I had my 6800GT it would do that on boot up, twice I think. I always thought it wast the CRT monitor adjusting itself to the signal or some shit. It never gave me any problems.

I had an ATI cards that would give me black screen flashes too, but the scrambled screen at the end of the driver install in XP is not normal behavoir. I've contacted EVGA about it and see what they suggest. I see neither my Asus P5K or Asrock 939DUAL-SATA2 motherboards are on the Nvidia compatibility list for the 7950GX2. Sure, it is good of EVGA to send a better card but not if there are issues with it and my other hardware. I've already spent over $50.00 doing RMA's for the same purchase and I'll be damned if I am going to pay shipping again. Meanwhile, my cheapish Galaxy 8800GT runs flawlessly and is faster than 7950GX2.

Back