Is this mp3 player worth the money? Or a pos?

you would have to put the mp3's in a crappy bit rate to even think of getting close to 100 songs with only 128mb of space. I have single albums I have ripped in 192 and they are more than half that.

You won't get nearly 100 songs on that. I can get about 60 on my 256 meg player. If you want alot of storage, hard drive based players are more appropriate. Solid state players are very durable, but you will pay a huge amount of money for one over 512 megs.

Or if you want a solid state flash MP3 player look for one with memory card ports, like SD or the like. That way you can get in on a limited budget and add memory cards later. It works even better because that same memory card can be used in digital cameras, digital camcorders, PDA's, and I even know of one car stero deck that accepts MMC/SD cards. I went with this flash player after a lot of intense shopping over a year ago. Just offering a suggestion as a satisfied user of that particular MP3 player. If I wasn't pinching pennies to build my new PC I would buy a hard drive based player though.
http://www.virginpulse.com/products/pdf/VP-02_Details.pdf

I got it at Target for around $100US I believe. One thing though the earbuds it comes with are passable but I upgraded to a pair of Sony earbuds and I could notice the difference. But the pic shows an upgrade to the earbuds, so the new ones may be better.

omg, youd even consider getting a portable music player from someone else than Apple? sigh....

My last player was a Rio 128mb; it fit about 30 songs with an average bitrate of 128kbps, so you would indeed have to go to really crappy bitrates to fit 100. Keep shopping around until you find a deal on something with higher capacity. If you want a bargain you need to have patience, bookmark some stores that have good reputations and keep checking back, and keep hunting for new ones.

Currently I have an iRiver IGP-100 1gb hard drive player that I've been using for about a year. Battery life is about 4 hours of continuous play, longer if you alternate between MP3 and the integrated FM radio. It's worked very well, my only complaint is it gets a little bitchy and quits on me if I try to use it to do large file transfers (like a USB disk drive).

(edit in update): Actually my IGP100 is starting to have real trouble. The file transfer problem was just the beginning. It's skipping during play now, while just resting on a solid tabletop, and accessing the HD a lot more than it should be on some songs. :( Guess I'll be seeing how good their tech support is.

Meanwhile my old Rio is plugged into the wall 24/7 at my dad's office and is playing their hold music nonstop; it's been doing that ever since I got the iRiver :p

Absolutely I would consider something other than an iPod for my portable MP3 listening. Just because they have the market share doesn't mean it's the best option for everyone. The flash players are good products for people on a budget. And since I don't buy MP3's from iTunes it's not mandatory that I purchase an iPod or iShuffle.

But yeah the best advice is do a lot of comparison shopping, thats how I ended up with the Virgin Pulse model that i bought. Now I just need to get a new USB cable since I lost the original one. T_T But I can still use my player with an SD card with no problems.

i just bought a 1gb ishuffle yesterday, its nice , well worth the price, ive owned over 4 mp3 players, and 2 ipod 3rd gen, this is my cup of tea

and NO, shuffle feature is not default, its an option

for the price of the shuffle you can get a Sandisk 1GB mp3 player, its got an LCD!!! WOW!! FM radio, Voice recording and a SHIT load of other things you can't get with the shuffle

aerithchylde said:

that mp3 player is an MPIO player, you can throw in 2GB SD cards and it will recognize it, i had one till my stupid xgf broke it, you have a 7band eq, FM tuner, voice recording in multiple qualities, drag and drop songs onto it thru its own software or WMP, for the SD card you can drag and drop from windows explorer (something you can't do with the ipod shuffle)

Back