Is this laptop cable lock good for coffee shops?

biggles

2[H]4U
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll use the can before or after I sit and do work at a coffee shop - not during. What's one hour? I can understand if you are going to be there all day drinking coffee (or have been there all day drinking coffee) but if it's just one or three hours, man up :-D

BTW: If someone really wants your laptop / ipdad / whatever, they are going to get it or damage and break your device in the attempt.

Also unless it goes into a built-in lock slot on your laptop, I wouldn't rely on it. That Amazon widget (in the first picture) looks like it's a stick-on or something /shrug
61OIugGlc3L._SL1000_.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies. I just learned about Kensington locks after posting this. The MSI laptop does of course have a Kensington hole, so that is an option. I would not be leaving the laptop unattended. Maybe I am just being paranoid, but the stories in the news are about thieves grabbing the laptop WHILE THE PERSON IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON IT! Those are some bold thieves who are snatching the laptops while the owner is right there. It is also one reason I have resisted getting a thin and light laptop. My MSI tank would be hard to pickup one handed.

Don't sit near the door, that's the quickest way to lose your gear. Pick another floor (if available) or deep, deep into the shop. I do some writing now and then and that's what I do. Although I'm not hardcore like some folks who sit there all day. And if maximum horsepower isn't necessary, I'll use whatever minimum hardware I can get away with to accomplish the task. Heck I have a bluetooth keyboard I can pair to my Note 10+ and that setup works just as well for banging out text as any of my full sized laptops. If you don't really need it, don't bring it.

what dvs said. unless it uses the lock slot dont bother. and yeah a lot of it is grab and dash. sit at the back where youre not an easy target, dont leave it unattended and you should be good.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Na, that's what home owners insurance is for. I'm just not seeing it as reducing the odds in a home burglary.

If it will make you feel better, go for it. Will it actually stop any thief? Nah.Either they cut the cable or wreck whatever the cable is attached to, or wreck the computer in the process of doing the other 2 things.

Best thing to do is take down all the serial numbers and model numbers and keep the info in a document in a safe place. Stuff gets stolen, you can report the serials and at least take some joy out of the thieves crime since they won't be able to "officially" sell it to any shops (of course that won't stop craig's list or other similar things but ...).

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Cable cutters will make quick work or they just pull it and break it. Whatever you do is just buying time or making you a harder target. When everyone else has cable locks, you're fucked.
Cracky bums don't care either way, sorry SF is such a literal craphole these days, can't discuss why or I'll get a naughty message from Kyle.

Back