Is this hot?

gn0me

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I hopped on the Oblivion bandwagon when it came into town last week, awesome game! After playing the game for a while, I decided to check my video card temps. Both cards were sitting at about 84 celsius! It kind of freaked me out a bit :) When I was still playing FEAR, the hottest temps I ever saw was around 74C. These temps are with the stock coolers by the way.

I'm playing the game with just about all settings maxxed out at 1920X1200 resolution. I'm running the 84.25 beta drivers and I also did the coolbits frame render tweak. I've noticed a few artifacts when outside of the Imperial City. Buildings in the distance will flicker from a normal texture to a bright purple or blue color. I'm not sure if that's just due to a bug in the game, or a side effect from my video cards running so hot. I don't have a screenshot unfortunately.

Anyhow, I decided to order a couple Zalman VF-700cu's for both of my cards. Hopefully those will help a bit.

seems pretty dam hot, my 7800's max out around 53 celcius, i think the max is around 103 for sustainable amounts, might want to get that looked at buddy :p . Zalman was a good choice though, should cool your horses down a bit.

What kind of coolers are you running on your cards board2death986? 53c is pretty nice!

Check if both cards are running at that temp. even in SLi you can see the temp of Each card. also the stock cooling is known to build up dust covering the fins remove the thin plastic cover over the heatsink/fan and blow the dust out with a can of compressed air. Well I guess since your getting the Zallmans it doesn't matter. :D

Its not unheard of, but its a bit on the toasty side, check for dust.

My 7900GTX's with stock coolers max at about 64*C with overclock, and the room has to be pretty darn warm too. They are usually crusing around 55-58*C, clocked at 680core, 1700mem. :)

Idle is around 39*C right now, both cards.

getting into the 80s like that yeah, you can see artifacting in some cases, which is caused by the memory getting too hot... that temp sensor you see on your pc is for the gpu core only, but if that's at 84, you can bet the memory is getting toasty also.. get some air on and between those cards!! maybe a Logisys 3d edge cooler or something.. see the sli tips guide sticky for more info :)

Those temperatures are average for the 7800GTX. Mine got into that range sometimes, mostly during Doom 3 I think, and I looked into it and the answer I got was that it is within spec. The threshold on them is 115c, so 85 still gives you a lot of headroom. Look into some better cooling maybe, going from the 7800GTX to the 7900GTX my temps only hit the mid 50's.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I was pretty sure that 84c (for both cards) was too hot. I think maybe they are getting that hot due to the fact that I am pushing them so hard while playing Oblivion with damn near maxxed out settings at 1920X1200 :D. I checked the system for dust last week, but didn't really check the video card fans too closely. I just turned my computer on 15 minutes ago and my video cards temps are already at 55c. It won't matter much since the Zalmans are arriving tomorrow afternoon.

I also have another fan (that I've had for months, but have been too lazy to install) that I'm going to install to help with the air flow in my P180. It's the Zalman FB123. Hopefully that and the two VF700-CU's will help bring down the temps on the video cards considerably.

AppaYipYip -

I was wondering how you were getting such great temps using stock coolers for your 7900's. I realize that by design those GPU's run a tad cooler then the 7800's, but I didn't think they were THAT much better. But then I noticed the 5 120mm fans in your sig :p. Guess those help a bit eh?

Anyhow, I will post my results once I get the new coolers put on.

board2death986 said:
haha its stock :confused:
Wtf?? That way too low..mine idles at higher than that at 60c, and maxes out at 87-90c after some hours. I would love to know how you get them that low.

the 7800GT evga version uses a full copper HS with a loud ass fan, blows plenty of air, and since they aren't OC'ed (in fact my primary is underlocked by 10hz because of faulty card i have to return) so it idles around 43, and ive only seen it as high as 55c under full load.

My 7800GTX (450/1250) maxes out at exactly 84C with the stock cooler, I'm looking to get either a NV5 silencer or Accelero X1, I've to do it pretty quick before the summer kicks in and my card will be up in flames! - I live in Egypt summer temps within the 45C range-

Can you suggest which will be better?

I just ordered the NV silencer for my 6800GT. A lot of it depends on what case ventilation you are using and how well cooled everything else is in your case.

From what I have read, the Accelero X1 will give better temps than the silencer, but only if you have good case ventilation. However, you are still likely to increase the temps of a few of your other components.

I have 5 90mm (2 front, 2 rear, 1 top), 1 120mm (side), and the PSU exhaust fan and I still get some head buildup around my graphics card which tends to raise the chipset temps by around 5C. Given, a 6800GT running at 430 core is going to put off a LOT of heat. That is why I went with the Silencer to exhaust the heat out the back of my case. Plus it means an extra exhaust fan! If you don’t have AC, then I would get the silencer. If you do have AC, just crank it down to 65 and get whatever you want!
Anyway, I will let everyone know how much my temps drop below stock once I throw the silencer on there.

Back