Is this hot? AMD 1.8GHz efficient quad core plus ATCS 840 $238 shipped

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
EDIT:

This is a better deal, and use the same promo code:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.208485

ATCS 840 + 3.0GHz Deneb quad core for $324 shipped. Much better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.208491

Special combo discount, plus free shipping code listed in the [H] Newegg deals thread = $238 shipped.

HARDOCPCASE76FS

Is that pretty good? The extra $30 code doesn't stack. I tried. Plus I contacted them on it, too. No dice.

So $238 shipped for this 1.8GHz quad plus the ATCS 840. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Seriously ... is this hot? I'm considering buying it because it seems dang hot to me... Low power Quad upgrade to my HTPC plus a new case that's extremely watercooling friendly.

What do you guys think?

If you need them sure.....

Unless your folding, I don't see the need for a quad on a HTPC.

If you need them sure.....

Unless your folding, I don't see the need for a quad on a HTPC.

I have a low power dual core at 2.3GHz right now. Sometimes I record two HD shows at once while watching a third, so I though it might help me. Would this be a better processor for my mom's "budget" photoshop rig? It has the same 2.3GHz dual core I have now. If this will give her a big boost I'll get it for her. Her system has 4GB of RAM and runs Vista home premium, which is good, but I notice it drags when multitasking, which my mom is going to do.

I have a low power dual core at 2.3GHz right now. Sometimes I record two HD shows at once while watching a third, so I though it might help me. Would this be a better processor for my mom's "budget" photoshop rig? It has the same 2.3GHz dual core I have now. If this will give her a big boost I'll get it for her. Her system has 4GB of RAM and runs Vista home premium, which is good, but I notice it drags when multitasking, which my mom is going to do.

Unless your getting lag on your HTPC right now I think it is a waste.

Your mom's rig for PS, if she uses it a fair bit needs all the power it can get.

65w quad core ftw. my dual core htpc hasn't got the cpu power to do hulu desktop at 1080p. of course when adobe makes a cuda-enabled flash player that will be a different story but until then i will argue that 4 cores have their place on an htpc.

I'll take a E8400 65w over a slow 1.8 AMD Quadcore that's based on Barcelona.

Well, photoshop CS3 and CS4 really fly on Quads, much better multi-thread support than earlier versions. I think it will be a substantial upgrade for my mom. I'm probably gonna snag this. I also have a triple core processor that I can stick in my HTPC if I need a little boosteroo. Or I could just OC my dual core a bit. Regardless, I think this is a killer deal for someone using photoshop or someone that multitasks quite a bit.

My mom is going to upgrade to Windows 7, which is even more multi-threaded friendly. My main question is how good is this price? How hot really is this deal? I know it's peculiar because I doubt this processor would ever be used in this case, but strictly bang for buck speaking ....

Thats not a bad deal. I want that case bad, personally. If you have a use for the cpu I don't see why not.

Edit: $190 shipped for the case, I wish that I had the money.

I don't really see why this is a hot deal???

Compare other 65W processors, I don't see 4x1.8GHz 4x512 being faster than 2 X 3.6 for sure. Even 2x3GHz I would say is faster.

I'd say this is a better processor:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail for $87

Or even

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH5050DOBOX - Retail for less heat and ~60 dollars.

I don't really see why this is a hot deal???

Compare other 65W processors, I don't see 4x1.8GHz 4x512 being faster than 2 X 3.6 for sure. Even 2x3GHz I would say is faster.

I'd say this is a better processor:
AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail for $87

Or even

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH5050DOBOX - Retail for less heat and ~60 dollars.

What makes this a hot deal to me is the combo discount and free shipping code. This combo is still cheaper than both of the options you listed.

Thats still a killer deal on just the case $190 shipped. Now that is a sexy case. Makes my Antec 1200 look like a POS.

You guys must be kidding. Case is worthless, but CPU is good for 79 After Coupon at NewEgg

I dunno guys. I'm not feeling much heat.

Although it is a quad CPU... it is still a low Phenom 1 quad cpu which isn't really a good quad.

What so special about this Case? It is Mid Tower case, there are so many better options with less price.

Because their is only one case for everyone?

I haven't researched this case or anything but it looks really nice too me, classy looking but a little bit more featured then most Lian Li's, but still not going overboard. Seems like a nice medium between Lian Li and Antec.

7 3.5 and 6 5in bays seems like a lot for a "mid tower" and the top, I have a lot of Cooler Master 4 in 3, and a 5 in 3 hot swap adaptor. With two 5 in 3's I could put 17 hard drives in here, with 4 in 3's I could do 15 or 11 hard drives a fan controller and 2 cd-roms. Seems like a lot for a midtower.

It has what looks like possibly the best motherboard tray around. It has a handle, and cut out for through mounted cpu's, its pretty much a test bench without legs.

The flip up USB/Audio is an improvement on the Lian Li/Rocket Fish type and the Stacker in my opinion.

Have the top mount fans and option of two differnt PSU mounts makes this look like a dream for watercooling.

What more do you want? Would a blue neon make it awesome? Better question why are you crapping up this thread if you don't know anything about the case?

What so special about this Case? It is Mid Tower case, there are so many better options with less price.

Mid tower .... lol. It's a full tower case, my friend. I DARE you to find a better deal, especially than the second combo I posted with the new 3.0GHz Deneb quad core processor.

This is a full tower aluminum case with one of the best removable motherboard trays out there. It has a location for a triple 120mm radiator with no drilling required whatsoever. You can even slap it on top of the stock fans if you're lazy, though some of the air would miss the radiator and get sucked around the sides. There's an easy mod for the bottom to put a 2x120mm radiator in as well with just a few minutes of work, not to mention the incredible 230mm fans, THREE of which are included stock - they are $20 a piece if you want to buy them, so that's $60 right there. The case is freaking amazing. Here's what reviewers had to say about it:

Bit-tech.net

"There’s also the Lian Li V1110 - another extra large premium case which carries an even bigger price tag and similar feature set to the ATCS 840, but without the watercooling support and with slightly warmer thermal performance.

But if you’ve got £185 to spend on a case, you’ll be looking for quality above all else and this is where the ATCS 840 really delivers. The rock solid brushed aluminium chassis, fantastic removable motherboard tray and dozens of small touches throughout the design really do distance this case from the madding crowd in the quality stakes and make that steep price tag a whole lot easier to stomach.

Final Thoughts
While its performance isn’t world beating, the ATCS 840 is still undoubtedly one of the best cases we’ve seen for a long time - it has thoroughly impressed us during our time with it. Combining gorgeous looks, fantastic build quality and unmatched attention to detail throughout the entire design, Cooler Master has produced a case of the highest quality that thoroughly deserves your hard earned cash. It might be expensive, but it’s most definitely worth it!"

Legit Reviews

"Legit Bottom Line: The Cooler Master ATCS 840 is an enthusiast-level case that may be large in stature but is also equally large in features, quality and usability. If you are in the market for a new case for your Christmas hardware goodies, I highly recommend giving this case serious consideration."

Benchmark Reviews

"One particular area of interest that really impressed be was product functionality. I'm completely sold on the motherboard tray cut-out which allows me to remove the backplate of a CPU cooler without having the remove the entire system. Even without this feature, the sliding motherboard tray would make for a decent second-favorite. Using 230mm cooling fans in three different locations of the RC-840 is a guaranteed way of ensuring Advanced Thermal Cooling, but the negative inner-case pressure might add-up to be too much for some exhausting video cards (such as high-end NVIDIA and ATI products). Tool-less drive bay trays and clips make installation a snap, and the removable fan filters should keep the innards nice and shiny.

Value is tough to detail at this point, primarily since Cooler Master won't launch the ATCS 840 until November 25th (next week). To my surprise however, our price comparison tool already lists a few retailers with the RC-840 for $279.99. Just as soon as NewEgg makes this product available, I will link to the preferred price. At this early point before the official launch, I can speculate that the RC-840 is certainly worthy of a premium price tag... just maybe not this high."

I agree that $279 is too high, but this deal is for $324 shipped for BOTH!

Bjorn3D

"The ATCS 840 chassis, is simply put, astonishing. This chassis is large enough to handle various types of large motherboards, and video cards, and it can handle large CPU coolers and even the biggest of water cooling setups. And to top it off, this chassis does it with style. Having a price point of around 250 U.S. dollars makes this a fair price to pay for a chassis that has a multitude of abilities."

Driver Haven

"Build quality is top notch, all the screw holes line up perfectly and nothing needs forcing into position. Additionally, vibrations are down to a minimum with almost everything fitting tightly and securely. The edges of the side panel do feel quite loose but they don’t appear to cause any vibration problems with loud audio bass.

The ATCS 840 is very silent in operation, this is due to the use of three 230mm fans with one spinning at a mere 1,700 rpm. Even in a silent environment the ATCS is barely noticeable and will keep distractions to a minimum.

The chassis also exhibits some impressive thermal dynamics, with plenty of air moving through the system despite the large volume area. The 230mm intake fan is a great performer, even at a low 1,700 RPM and keeps components such as the hard drive and graphics card on the cooler end of the scale. Although the case would ultimately perform better with the top intake fans closer to the components and a smaller volume area, Coolermaster have had to sacrifice this potential performance increase to support certain functions and features such as high end water-cooling setups.

To cap things off, the case has huge potential for cable management should you wish to install a large amount of components in the system. With plenty of space behind the motherboard and numerous gaps and holes the chassis has facilities to route all necessary cables.

This chassis is due to be released next month with an expected price tag of £200 inc vat and has some competition around that pricing to fend off. Cases such as the Silverstone TJ09 and the LianLi PC V1110 will be tempting options for buyers with £200 to spare. That said, the Coolermaster ATCS 840 is a worthy successor to the famous cases of old, and the build quality and design is higher than anything we’ve seen in a while. Undoubtedly a great purchase."

There are plenty more good reviews of the ATCS 840 if you keep on going. Here are some of my favorite builds done with this case:

http://www.casemodblog.com/?p=664

http://www.hardforums.com/showpos...count=8221

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Foru...stcount=13

I'm not sure about the CPU, but I would just like to vouch for the case.

5 months back, I was looking around [for quite awhile] for a case for my i7 build and I was strongly considering the ATCS 840 for all its features at a price tag of $259.99. This is even when I have my cousin offering me the Cosmos 1000 for $110, which I went for in the end. The ATCS 840 just has all the small bells and whistles that aren't noticeable at first glance.

Being the owner of the Cosmos 1000, I can definitely say there are numerous occasions that I had wished for the features on the ATCS 840. Given the Cosmos 1000's very similar price tag and touting 5 eggs with 800+ reviews on newegg, the ATCS 840 still wins hands down.

Had it been $190 4 months ago, I'd be a happy camper.

SirKronan,

It sounds like you made up your mind before you posted.

Also you didn't mention the case was the big push. I have seen better cases, how many times do you really want to pull the motherboard out ???

For refrences on cases I have an old old old fulltower case I've been using for about 10 years now, so I don't see why people upgrade cases all the time.

Second I've seen several antecs at fry's in the 50 dollar range with our without rebate come around, personally I can pick those up...

Name one, this is the sexiest case on the market imo.

Nope, not interested in wasting my time with searching...

SUre it's e-atx, nice motherboard tray, good harddrive slots etc etc etc...

Personally I'd ditch the case use the extra 189 - 39 = 150 and upgrade the processor and board to an i7. Just trying to put things in my persepective.

I think the second combo I linked with the $225 Deneb is a LOT better deal. A better match too.

But now your looking at a 125W processor, which will heat a room quickly. Personally I like Cooler Master cases, their pictures never due them justice to the quality you get when it actually arrives...

SirKronan,

It sounds like you made up your mind before you posted.

Also you didn't mention the case was the big push. I have seen better cases, how many times do you really want to pull the motherboard out ???

For refrences on cases I have an old old old fulltower case I've been using for about 10 years now, so I don't see why people upgrade cases all the time.

Second I've seen several antecs at fry's in the 50 dollar range with our without rebate come around, personally I can pick those up...

Ok. You obviously have no idea what you're missing, and didn't really read any actual reviews on this case, so go ahead and keep buying $50 cases. This thread wasn't meant for you.

But now your looking at a 125W processor, which will heat a room quickly. Personally I like Cooler Master cases, their pictures never due them justice to the quality you get when it actually arrives...

It's a quad core, and these new Deneb processors are a fair competition for any Core 2 quad out there. While 125w, remember it's stock clocked at 3.0GHz and will provide very fair competition for any Core 2 Quad out there. Socket AM3 brought some serious advantages in the midrange sector, and helped AMD refresh it's position in a much needed way. I just bought an AM3 motherboard for like $40 AR. That board plus this CPU, plus this case, plus 4 or 8 GB of your favorite cheap DDR2 and you've got one heck of an economical 3.0GHz quad core machine. Building the same thing on the intel camp is going to cost you more - quite a bit more.

Nope, not interested in wasting my time with searching...

SUre it's e-atx, nice motherboard tray, good harddrive slots etc etc etc...

Personally I'd ditch the case use the extra 189 - 39 = 150 and upgrade the processor and board to an i7. Just trying to put things in my persepective.

Like I said name one. Why would you put an expensive rig into a cheap gaudy plastic case with inefficient cooling and no room for cable management? This is a 100% aluminum case. Find me one that looks half this good with half of the features of this case in this price range. You aren't going to spend $40+ to cool that I7 in a case with worse airflow? The northbridge on most of those x58s run pretty hot as well. Your case is one of the few components that you can carry on to your next build and is by far the most important factor in cooling all of those expensive parts I don't get the point in cheaping out, tbh. IMO, your case and power supply are the two most important components in your rig.

It's not how cool the case looks... It's how cool the CPU is!!!

Thats a quote from your sig, btw.

It's a quad core, and these new Deneb processors are a fair competition for any Core 2 quad out there. While 125w, remember it's stock clocked at 3.0GHz and will provide very fair competition for any Core 2 Quad out there. Socket AM3 brought some serious advantages in the midrange sector, and helped AMD refresh it's position in a much needed way. I just bought an AM3 motherboard for like $40 AR. That board plus this CPU, plus this case, plus 4 or 8 GB of your favorite cheap DDR2 and you've got one heck of an economical 3.0GHz quad core machine. Building the same thing on the intel camp is going to cost you more - quite a bit more.

You can't honestly compare Deneb to Core 2. Any q8xxx is a better processor for most applications but I do agree that when you factor in price it's a different story except for when you factor your electric bill into the purchase.

Last edited:
Anyways long reposne but [h] kicked me out for log in won't rewrite everything.

Thanks for looking at the sig

kept my P-35 q6600 at 31 NB and 56C with 1.4'ish volts at the core, can't remember the setting was something like 1.4173141659 LOL. Had two SCSI 15k's in there too.

I mod everything so... here is a start.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146054

It's about 120 less and could probably make it cool better than the 189 case. More room above the board.

Also the OP doesn't really know what he is talking about...
switching from 65W to 125W whats next...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...m 330 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Retail

Oh, and you actually invited me here with the following...

What do you guys think?

On second though I think I figured out the OP.

He is either the type of guy who buys monster cables... the sound is better you know.

Or he works for the case company.

It's about 120 less and could probably make it cool better than the 189 case. More room above the board.

Remember not every case is the same. Sure they can house multiple drives but some are aesthetically nice and offer options to hide cabling (which many do not).

The ATCS 840 allows you to have a 3x120 radiator fit atop without any modding. It's fairly lightweight and durable. It also has a removable motherboard tray as well as a cut-out near the CPU socket making it easier to install a heatsink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...m 330 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Retail

Come on now, that's uncalled for. He was merely trying to provide some good deals. Whether it be a low-powered or high-powered quad, it was something that I didn't know at the time.

SirKronan,

Does the fact that you have been using the same case for 10 years prove the point that its worth spending the money on a good case? What other 10 year old parts are you using?

To put into perspective:

1999 Harddrive prices:

1999 December 1 Note 59 Western Digital IDE
20.5 gigabytes $398.00 2.23¢ Note 59 Quantum IDE
18.2 gigabytes $348.00 2.20¢ Note 60 Mfgr? UDMA
10.2 gigabytes $189.00 2.13¢ Note 59 Fujitsu IDE
10.2 gigabytes $189.00 2.13¢ Note 59 Fujitsu IDE
13.0 gigabytes $208.00 1.84¢ Note 60 Mfgr? UDMA
13.0 gigabytes $195.00 1.73¢ Note 59 Fujitsu IDE
20.4 gigabytes $299.00 1.69¢ Note 59 Fujitsu IDE
17.3 gigabytes $248.00 1.65¢ Note 59 Fujitsu IDE
27.3 gigabytes $388.00 1.63¢ Note 60 Mfgr? UDMA
17.3 gigabytes $225.00 1.50¢

And these amazing graphics:

September 15, 1999

Guillemot Corp has introduced 3D Prophet, its highest-performing graphics card especially designed for avid gamers. Based on NVIDIA Corp's graphics processing unit, GeForce256, the new card offers 32Mb on-board RAM and a 350MHz RAMDAC, and generates 15m triangles/second and over

But hey, since February you can get that totally amazing Pentium III in 533mhz or 600mhz!

That is a nice case, but where are you going to put your triple radiator without significant modding? I'm going to cut my own window and maybe add one more hole for cable management in my ATCS 840. It's going to take about 15 min. to do both at the school metal shop. The 3x120 RAD will go up top with zero effort, and there's much more room and capability for cable management in the ATCS 840.

You're also missing the removable motherboard tray and CPU cutout. Maybe you build a PC and that's it, you're done. I'm swapping stuff in and out ALL THE TIME. Those two features are going to save me HOURS in the long run. That means more time actually gaming, tweaking, or playing with my 3 year old son for crying out loud. Totally worth it to me.

And the 230mm fans, three of which are included, put out more air than those 120s at less noise. The four in the side window is great for cooling your stuff directly. I'm actually a big fan of NZXT. I have an Apollo sitting here waiting for its custom paint job ... They are great for the price. But that case won't work for my setup. In the 840 a SECOND RADIATOR (2x120) goes right in the bottom with very little effort. BOOM! You've got a two loop system now. The 840 is going to be noticeably quieter yet still push a tremendous amount of air when I'm done with it. You'd have to replace more fans (which means more $$$) if you want to make your NZXT that quiet, unless you get their Whisper series with the sound dampening stuff (which also blankets in a bit of heat.)

Edit: Also, you're not going to have "more room above the board" when you stick your PSU and all its cables up there... sheesh.

From Anand:
"Phenom II is AMD's return to competition, and unlike the best the original could do, the sequel is actually worthwhile. Even if Intel drops prices to maintain control of the quad-core market, you have AMD to thank for that. It's similar to what happened in the GPU market last summer: competition keeps prices in check. Economic woes or not, both AMD and Intel are going to be fighting hard for your business this year."

You don't know what YOU'RE talking about. The Phenom II x4 940 competes with the 9400, which is a 95 watt unit, not a 65 watt unit. This deal is a newer, improved 945 (even better overclocking than the original 940). Both the x4 945 and the Q9400 cost about $220, but with this combo you're getting it essentially for $135, assuming the CM ATCS 840 has a value of $190. That is OUTSTANDING. Anyone who argues that is drinking Intel koolaid for breakfast, lunch and dinner, or is dumb.

I invite and welcome educated comments from people that agree AND disagree with me, but what you're doing is threadcrapping. And you didn't include the shipping costs you're going to have to add to the NZXT case in your math there. The 840 has a free shipping code in this deal.

You've gotta come with a better-based argument. I do invite your comments, but found it on something other than you simply being "cheap" - which is not bad at all until you start putting down those who aren't so cheap on their cases. Maybe for you a plastic front is ok on your $2300 enthusiast/editing system. I not only want mine to run killer fast, but look dead sexy, too. It's important to me. As much as I like NZXT, they don't have the professional look on ANY of their cases that the ATCS 840 has. Looks aside, the ATCS 840 is worth it for other reasons than just that. Did you read ANY of the reviews I linked?

What sites or information have you quoted to dispute this being a great buy? So far you've just done incorrect math and misreported some processor specs, all with the goal of ... what? Making me look dumb? Showing how much smarter you are than the rest of us because you don't "waste" money on a nice aluminum case when a plastic one is "just as good?" Come on ....

the 840 is the best case I have EVER worked with..

That is coming from someone who has/had over 20 different cases in the past year alone.

Amazing cooling, great wire management, almost every feature you can think of, and a strength and quality that is matched by only the best cases on the market. Not only is that NZXT ZERO 2 not even in the same class as the 840, it is outclassed and priced even by CM's 690 or thermaltake's M9.

Does the fact that you have been using the same case for 10 years prove the point that its worth spending the money on a good case?

I'd say that it proves the point that you don't need to spend money on a new case.

I've fit everything into that case from a set of PIII's overclocked to 900 from 600 before then. dual socket A bartons I had running at 2.4GHz each with 4Gb of ram. Finally upgraded to two opterons 265's, those didn't overclock well. Replaced with a Q6600 running at 3.8Ghz. Cooling was never an issue, and MB temperatures were only bad on the dual oppies.

This will probably be my next rig http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=94220

What other 10 year old parts are you using?

O.K. to put it into perspective:

Still using a yamaha 16x8x8 CDR-W thats about 6 years old now... still works great.

Have about a 7 year old gateway keyboard... also still works

3 15K 72 G scsi's and an LSI pci-x controller, those are about 6-7 years old. Each of those drives puts a raptor shame. The new perpendicular scsi's are faster but it's not worth the upgrade. Today I'd probably go sas, the ssd drives are not quite there yet for the money but I'm patient.

Any problems with the above???

Last edited:
September 15, 1999

Guillemot Corp has introduced 3D Prophet, its highest-performing graphics card especially designed for avid gamers. Based on NVIDIA Corp's graphics processing unit, GeForce256, the new card offers 32Mb on-board RAM and a 350MHz RAMDAC, and generates 15m triangles/second and over

But hey, since February you can get that totally amazing Pentium III in 533mhz or 600mhz!

Yup had one of those modded it to a fx card to open up the other piplines.

Skipped over those I had a slot a 600 running at 950 at that time, PIII's couldn't touch them.

I'd say that it proves the point that you don't need to spend money on a new case.

I've fit everything into that case from a set of PIII's overclocked to 900 from 600 before then. dual socket A bartons I had running at 2.4GHz each with 4Gb of ram. Finally upgraded to two opterons 265's, those didn't overclock well. Replaced with a Q6600 running at 3.8Ghz. Cooling was never an issue, and MB temperatures were only bad on the dual oppies.

This will probably be my next rig http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=94220

O.K. to put it into perspective:

Still using a yamaha 16x8x8 CDR-W thats about 6 years old now... still works great.

Have about a 7 year old gateway keyboard... also still works

3 15K 72 G scsi's and an LSI pci-x controller, those are about 6-7 years old. Each of those drives puts a raptor shame. The new perpendicular scsi's are faster but it's not worth the upgrade. Today I'd probably go sas, the ssd drives are not quite there yet for the money but I'm patient.

Any problems with the above???

In that time how much have you spent on aftermarket cooling that would have performed better in a case like this?

I was surprised by the case that you listed for the price but it does have ALOT of plastic and the metal looks pretty flimsy as well. It would do a good job in cooling although it would be loud and the same performance could be obtained with a more efficient design and be quieter. LIke I said the two parts in a rig that I don't understand cheaping out on are the case and psu and the case is the only part that you have to look at every day so looks do matter.

Your also comparing high end enterprise drives that I'm sure that you paid good money for and saying that you don't see the point of spending money on a case that will last as long if not longer, with better performance, less noise, and better looks.
Your point of view isn't going to change much like everyone else's.

Last edited:
Back