Is this guy full of it?

horrorshow

Lakewood Original

Sounds super fishy to me.

But I'd love to hear what you guys think....

The fact that brake cleaner is corrosive means that I would never, ever, ever use it on any of my computer parts.

I'll keep using alcohol thanks.

Ummm.. DO NOT listen to this guy.

Wasting a lot of time AND brake cleaner????? No, just no. For the metal only parts it is ok, but I wouldn't trust any of the plastic stuff to hold up. Plus brake cleaner leaves a nasty residue on everything.

I've used carb cleaner to clean off CPUs before, but a CPU is not going to generally be hurt by parts cleaners.

Overall, he is just wasting a huge amount of time....

And then hey sprays a coating on everything????

And he using some super crappy TIM from what it looks like.

Looks to me like he spent about 10x too much time to get the results he did.

Spray the dust off with a air tank or compressor with a sprayer tip.. and then replace the TIM.

About 15-20 minutes total. Looks to me like he spent a couple hours.

Ummm.. DO NOT listen to this guy.

Wasting a lot of time AND brake cleaner????? No, just no. For the metal only parts it is ok, but I wouldn't trust any of the plastic stuff to hold up. Plus brake cleaner leaves a nasty residue on everything.

I've used carb cleaner to clean off CPUs before, but a CPU is not going to generally be hurt by parts cleaners.

Overall, he is just wasting a huge amount of time....

And then hey sprays a coating on everything????

And he using some super crappy TIM from what it looks like.

Looks to me like he spent about 10x too much time to get the results he did.

Spray the dust off with a air tank or compressor with a sprayer tip.. and then replace the TIM.

About 15-20 minutes total. Looks to me like he spent a couple hours.

If you're using a compressor you 'should' make sure it's oilless or at least has an oil and air / water separator. Otherwise you're asking for trouble eventually

Depending on the filth I use brake cleaner to clean off heatskinks. I will also put it on a cloth to clean the CPU. Some carb cleaner has a light oil in it to keep the bowls and whatnot from sticking.

But what that guy did? Spraying it on the circuit board? No. Spraying liquid anywhere it can be wicked? No.

I would bet that chlorinated vs un-chlorinated makes a difference. They typically only sell un-chlorinated here in CA. Most of the changes seen here were due to dusting and old thermal paste.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah dont trust this guy i thought brake cleaner also has some type of oil in it and you cant tell me he can get it all out of the card slots then he uses a hardy wipe its probly lemon scented like a wet nap he might as well of put it in his bath tub and let it sit over night in water probly would worked better :ROFLMAO: but if some one is will ing to try it here id love to see how well it works and if it s true on a older system (y)

not untell then its a NO NO NO for me (n) dont trust him .!!!

and he did not even show the benchwark working with the red card the video cut out then went to him like wtf dude
and is it me or does the first card look black on black and not red on top

VERY FISHY INDEED

to clean my set up i use 1 or 2 cans of air some times a medium to soft tooth brush and thats it to clean the fan or heat sinks i use a dry tooth brush and air . fans blades i dip the tooth brush in water shake it off and dab it on a paper towl to get rid of any extra water just enuff to make the dirt and dust stick to it wipe it it with towl from time to time thats it and after all its common since water and pc parts dont mix

ull be amazed at how a lil work goes a long way and it will help your system last a lil longer !

Last edited:
Depends on the brake cleaner. Laser company I work with uses it to clean various parts, usually not optics but in a pinch can do without films/issues. But they figured out the particular 'brake cleaner' they had is just Acetone.. so that's normally used to clean optics anyway in this particular part of the industry (not ultra fast lasers lol).

Depends on the brake cleaner. Laser company I work with uses it to clean various parts, usually not optics but in a pinch can do without films/issues. But they figured out the particular 'brake cleaner' they had is just Acetone.. so that's normally used to clean optics anyway in this particular part of the industry (not ultra fast lasers lol).

OMG yeah i remember acetone have not used that stuff in a long time if im right i used it on our lazer disc player one time or something similer ? i can not remember it was sooo long ago :p

& i thought there was different kinds of brake cleaner i for got and i think certain ones affected different metals as well like i would not use car brake cleaner on pc parts but his looked like it was from japan if he can read it and it works then i guess but when he did the BM torwords the end it went back to him before we could see the last benchmark when it was cleaned unless i had lag and did not see it and it jumped a head ill have to relook at it again.

Last edited:
LOL, scraping the sinks with a spare CPU cover and sanding your North bridge with a 60 grit sanding pad?

Lost it at the thermal paste with finger method.

If the shitty advice didn't give it away, the music should have :ROFLMAO:

I enjoy his channel for the ebay builds he does, but...yeah his methods are a cringefest.

OMG yeah i remember acetone have not used that stuff in a long time if im right i used it on our lazer disc player one time or something similer ? i can not remember it was sooo long ago :p

& i thought there was different kinds of brake cleaner i for got and i think certain ones affected different metals as well like i would not use car brake cleaner on pc parts but his looked like it was from japan if he can read it and it works then i guess but when he did the BM torwords the end it went back to him before we could see the last benchmark when it was cleaned unless i had lag and did not see it and it jumped a head ill have to relook at it again.

If laserdiscs were plastic I'm not sure if you'd have used it on them, it's not nice to polycarbonate.

Only used it on steel, alu and brass without issues. It loves to eat off really high quality anodisation when you use enough too.. hehe

If laserdiscs were plastic I'm not sure if you'd have used it on them, it's not nice to polycarbonate.

Only used it on steel, alu and brass without issues. It loves to eat off really high quality anodisation when you use enough too.. hehe

Speaking of never ever use oven cleaner on anything anodized. Your pretty parts will be no more.

I used to race nitro RC cars and the heatsink on the top of the engine can get a lot of grime on it as they're two-stroke engines and the fuel contains oil. Yeah, don't use oven cleaner. Cleans great though. Stripped it down to bare metal no problem haha

Back