Is this file copy slow or fast?

Priddle

n00b
I just reinstalled Win7 32bit on a RAID1 array made of 2 1TB WD SATA II drives, Caviar Green WD10EARS w/ 64MB cache.

I copied my MP3s from a single SATA drive (another WD) to the array. 7593 files / 32GB took just over 12 minutes. Is this reasonable? Win7 the average rate was 40-50megs/sec

Also, my AV program was turned off at the time.

Thanks

The nature of RAID 1 is that data has to be written to 2 disks instead of 1 so the overall performance is lower than if you were copying to a single disk or a RAID 0 array.

I tried it from the array to the single drive for kicks and shaved just over 2 minutes off the original time. I guess 10 minutes to copy 7600 files / 32GB isn't bad. I guess I don't want to be overlooking something to make it faster. FYI, I have a Asus P5Q Pro board and Intel Core 2 Quad q8300 processor.

all depends on the size of individual files. if 7590 of them were small 50kb files and the other 3 were 32 GB, that would be different then if all 7593 files were around 4mb each.

if you want to do an accurate (sequential write) speed test, make one large file and time its transfer. copying one big file is going to be faster then lots of little files, just the nature of the beast.

Unless you are transferring 32GB of data on a regular basis, it does not matter.

I regularly transfer 4GB files on my computer. It takes 2 minutes. I am happy with the time required.

Most data usage, including media playing, does not require much speed.

I just reinstalled Win7 32bit on a RAID1 array made of 2 1TB WD SATA II drives, Caviar Green WD10EARS w/ 64MB cache.

I copied my MP3s from a single SATA drive (another WD) to the array. 7593 files / 32GB took just over 12 minutes. Is this reasonable? Win7 the average rate was 40-50megs/sec

Also, my AV program was turned off at the time.

Thanks

That sounds about right to me.

Tons of smaller files are going to take longer to write than one large file.

That is just about right, due to GREEN drive (lower RPM)

You could have transfered a bit faster if the HDD was full 7200prm

Back